Options

Ultra running goals for 2013

2»

Comments

• Options

Finish the SDW50 before the cutoff.  Also, run a sub 50min 10k.  Never claimed to be fast!

• Options

GazOC: for what it's worth in your calculations, I finished Greater Manchester Marathon in 3.47 and North Downs Way 50 in 9.53. But Ladybower is somewhat flatter than NDW50, so I'm hoping to take more than an hour off that for Ladybower this year (assuming I susvive TT, SDW, NDW and Lakeland 50s first).

Gavin Bl: yes, you could do it (Cardiff Ultra) and yes, I'd recommend a 30-miler or 50K race or similar distance in training before the day. The alternative option (Wye 50 in October) would give you more time to prepare, which might make it more enjoyable - but everyone varies and others might encourage you to leap straight in for the 50 miler in May.

• Options

To make running up and down my local hill (Penshaw) look effortless.

• Options

Gavin Bl, for what it's worth, you have far more experience under your belt than I have.  Depends a bit on whether you're happy simply to complete (even if you walk lots) or if you're chasing a specific time.  If it's the former, it's doable.

• Options

To haul my wrecked body over the finish line of the Spine Race. All other goals are on hold till then.(My goal setting should start on about Jan 20th)

Still got unfinished business getting to Gold Standard on the OMM long score.

• Options

finish MDS

everything else is training for the desert.....13 weeks and counting

• Options

2013 - The Plan

1000 miles in 10 ultras in 10days! That's 1x45mi; 1x65mi; 4x100mi; 1x24hr relay; 2xInternational; and finally 1x250mi just to see if I can!

There's going to be a charity element (to be finalised), website, twitter, face whatnot and anything else I can think of. And my theme tune before each race will be "Hungry Like The Wolf" for what seems obvious reasons image

And it starts Jan 12th

• Options

Thanks for the comments above folks, signed up for the Cardiff Ultra 50 miles in May! image

I thought how can someone from Merthyr who lives in Cardiff and loves the beacons, say no to a ultra that goes through the Beacons, Merthyr and Cardiff !

Did 20 miles in 3 hrs as last long run for Glos Marathon, so I'll have 4 months after that, to push out into 30ml/50k territory, so seems as good a space as I'm likely to get.

Goal - to finish (mostly) in one piece!

• Options
    JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭
    Blimey Slane good luck with that! I only have CTS south devon, TP100 and Pony Express 2 day so far! Will prob do some marathons autumn but prob not ultra, maybe....
  • Options

Slaneuk

The  first two distances ring a bell . You are not stating at 8am from Edale by any chance are you?

• Options
    Slane I must have read that wrong, you're planning on doing ten ultras in ten days totalling 1000 miles four of which are hundreds and one a two fifty miler?

I must have gotten that wrong because that's not physically possible, well not unless you're a certain middle aged Greek bloke
  • Options

It could be 1000miles in 240 hrs total running time in which case blasting the 50s would help. The 250 miler will really slow the average pace.

Still not convinced its possible though.

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    How have you found all those races within a 10 day period?
  • Options

Using the same powers he got when that radioactive spider bit him ?

• Options

Lol, I didnt realise that all this was going on this afternoon. No spiders are involved as I dont like themimage And I am about as greek as Istanbul....

Well its spread out from now till November, after all I cant think of many races that start on a Tuesday! 10 days rather than 240 hours, so trying not to get to 11 days :P I'm not too worried about the 100s, they'll be what they are, but the 250 is a different ballgame altogether. Anyway, its my challenge my goal for the year. It doesnt affect others - and if its impossible then I'll give it a go to make it as possible as can be image

I dont think i have any 8am starts and dont think I'm going to Edale either unless i take a wrong turn. 

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    So, 1000 miles in 11 months with a combined time under 263:59:59.
  • Options
    No, I'm going to stick with the 1000 miles in 10 ultras in 10days! If I wanted some more negative I would have written it :P
  • Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Fair enough. Have fun!

• Options
    Debra - whats the website for the posterior tibial tendon info? Did my first back to back today and this is what i may have ended up with! Think i'll stick to marathons.
  • Options

Mish1: Athlete Treating Athletes (http://www.athletestreatingathletes.com/). They cover pretty much everything. What mileage did you do for your first B2B?

• Options

Slane

Turn up 8am Sat at Edale and you could clock up 268miles to give you a head start on the years effort.

And yes I do think you have set yourself a great goal.  Good luck.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

slaneuk - we were all a bit intrigued.  I assume the 100s will take the best part of 24 hours each and the 250 probably about 72 hours and you did give the impression you were doing your challenge on consecutive days!!  That would be a formidable feat, as well as you needing formidable feet!

Good luck.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Got five ultras lined up this year, a MCN one, an Endurancelife one, the Connemara ultra which I've done 8 times, my favourite event the Ridgeway 85, and an as yet undecided one (a choice of two) in September either of which is going to be the hardest race I've done to date.

Did my first 100 last year (NDW) but I was upset about my lack of fitness from about mile 60 onwards.  It was a desperate struggle to avoid being timed out!

• Options

I dont think at any point I said it was consecutive days and if you do enough races you would know that it would be virtually impossible to find 10 consecutive Ultras. Cant think of a race thats run on a Tuesday.

GL with the Ridgeway. I was tempted again but having done that stretch of it for what seemed an endless timeloop in the W100, I'm looking for a break!

I've worked out what you re talking about with Edale, Ian. I'm not sure the Spine Race is my cup of tea and I certainly dont think I'm ready for it now......maybe by July image It looks more like a hiking expedition rather than a race?

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

T Rex - Which endurance life race are you doing? UTSW or one of the CTS races?

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

WiB - I got very bad vibes about the first UTSW event last year, which I'd entered, and pulled out just about getting my money back.  Looks a monster event this year, and not all coastal path.  I shall be doing the Flete ultra in May with an estuary crossing.

This broken collarbone has got to heal up properly first, though.  Got an irritated deltoid nerve which is giving me a lot of gyp.