Options

Subscription - can I please have your opinions

Hi, My subscription expires in March 2013. I got a letter offering me a rolling subscription for ??15 a month or ??34 for the year. When I called up and asked for any special deals on the mag without telling them I am already a suscriber, I was told that I could get it for ??24 for the year. Both the letter I received and the phone call I made was to Hearst-Rodale What do you guys think of this? My first reaction was that customers who are already suscribers are being offered less of a deal than someone calling 'off the cuff'. This made me question their value in customer loyalty. Have any of yoy experienced this? Does anyone know why they do this? .

Comments

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

You're surprised?  Of course they offer better deals to people who are not yet subscribers.  

They (and all other magazine publishers) know that people will, mostly, just keep on with their existing subscription.

Special offers and 'free' gifts are to tempt new ones in.

Cancel your subscription, then take out a new one image

• Options

Hearst-Rodale are the owners of the magazine

as Wilks says, magazines will always offer better deals to new subscibers than existing ones so if you're interested in the best deal, cancel and re-subscribe, or better still (and assuming you have a partner), cancel yours and get your partner to subscribe and alternate each year.  

it's similar in many business areas and companies rely on a lack of inertia on subscribers parts.  that way the subs roll over at a higher price and most neither notice this or can't be arsed to do anything about it.

insurance is another classic example of a similar tactic.  many policy holders never review what they have so carry on paying more than if they switched to another provider.  there are many case of people paying way over the amounts that new policyholders pay for the same cover

the old adage of "buyer beware" still holds true.

• Options

You've had RW for a year. All the articles will repeat soon (and are available on here, or on the US site, for free). Don't bother subscribing.

• Options

Agree with Chubby Bloke the magazine is shit just repeated time and time again !!