Options

Race Medals & Mementos

2»

Comments

• Options
    Didn't start running until I was 61 years old so never have been in a position for winners medals etc., Anything over half marathons are kept and put in a small frame ( with time etc) and hang on my study wall.
  • Options
    I've got a few participation medals from this year (only arrived here recently, and had never run races before). They're all very good quality (especially the one from this year's Sutton Fun Run), but I'm running out of lamp fittings to hang them from.
  • Options
    I got half a dozen eggs after completing the mansfield half marathon (as well as the tee shirt). couldn't get them to hang on the notice board so ate them!
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    It doesn't surprise me that the americans turn their T-shirts into quilts pizzaman.
    Afer all I'm sure they're big enough given the average american is XXXXXXXXL .....
  • Options
    My kids use my medal momentoes for playing their own Commonwealth Games. It had to stop when they used the back of the sofa as a high jump!
  • Options
    I gave them too the kids, but they don't seem much interested now [ I think they have over 100 ] so now they seem to make there way to the bottom of any available draw.
  • Options
    Scotty4Scotty4 ✭✭✭
    Thanks all for the feedback.

I got home last weekend to find the hook had given way and scattered my medals (only 6 of them) over the kitchen floor. Could be an omen...hmmm.

Anyway. They are now tastefully displayed in one corner of my cork notice board in the kitchen with the ribbons neatly rolled up.

I was pleased to hear that I wasn't the only one keeping my race numbers. I'll have to get round to writing my times on the back.
  • Options
    Mine are in a flower pot in the kitchen, the race numbers are gone but I think I'll keep them from now on.
    Glad to hear your'e running well scotty. did my calf in at the Thanet 10K and have'nt run since! but am one the mend and intend to be racing again soon.
  • Options
    Did the Bronte 9 mile trail race last year. Got a bottle of Landlord Bitter. Very nice it was too. Did the Bradord 10k, got a really nice t-shirt, Fila if memory serves. Bronte 9 miles was a fantasic race, Bradford 10k was a rubbish one. There must be a message in their somewhere. Or not. I really must start going out of a Friday night again.
  • Options
    As an older runner who will never be in the prizes I am quite proud of the finishers Tee shirts but I would like to see more of a good quality even if it meant paying another quid on the entrance fee. GNR ones are always good as are the Auckland Castle ones ( Navy - nice change)Windsor were brill. but had to be purchased. I Think the worst ones I have had was for the Hamsterley Forest runs - got two but won't be going back for anymore !! At the cost the organisers purchase them for and knowing that they are 'earned' would it be too much to expect a decent quality ??
  • Options
    I have to admit to a little white lie that relates to my latest race medal. On the morning of the great north run my daughter who is 3 said just before I left.."run really hard daddy and you are bound to win...but dont run to hard because you will hurt your knee again". So when I returned I pulled my medal out of my pocket and said " look what I got for winning the race!" she was dead pleased.
    As for what I do with them well my son....4, loves to pretend that they are winners medals for the FA cup, European cup...etc you get the picture, unfortunately he tends to leave them allover and my wife ended up hoovering up the last one...accidentaly.
  • Options
    My medals are in the toilet!
    My study was getting a little cluttered so I decided to put them somewhere where I sit and contemplate......... Race numbers,medals,photos etc - it's now known in the house as the medal room!
  • Options
    Mine are all in a shoe box except one, which is an oil painting and it's the only thing I've ever had for coming first (except a clip round the ear from the wife).
  • Options
    Oops! I may be Cazzed for that last comment.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    BeerBellyBlues in the eyes of your 3 year old I expect that was a special moment. When you think about it when we enter runs it's our own race we set out to win! So no lies told there.
  • Options
    I keep my medals in a shoe box apart from my London Marathon Medal which is framed with a photo .It is propped up against a wall in my bedroom at the mo because I can't decide where to hang it.I have my race numbers filed away with other race details they are a bit grotty so I don't know whether to have them displayed or not.I can't seem to keep them in a good condition they get all crumpled up .My t shirts sit in the wardrobe folded neatly I don't run in them as I get too hot in cotton.I do sleep in them occasionally as most of them are big enough to be nightshirts!
  • Options
    Patty, that all sounds very familiar. My wife wears my shirts. Personally I prefer medals they are easier to hide away
  • Options
    Sounds like I am the only medal freak around here! I just love getting them. My main motivation for running is to know that I will get that medal at some race every weekend. Am I really the only one?? Anyway, since I love them so much and would rather spend time on the road that to feed my fish, I opted for bye-bye fishies and hello medals. They are scattered around in the fishtank, on the bottom, hangin from the sides etc. With the floresant light hidden in the cover, the medals shine back every kilometer of hard work and suffering on the road! Anyway, want to know whom has the most medals here!?
    I dont have that many since I have only been running 2 years (non-consecutive) so I have about 50.
  • Options
    Got The Runs
    I WAS NOT HAPPY reading about your lack of love for your poor fish, I hope you didn't starve them to death - such a terrible way to go. I have one medal - 'earned today' - I am currently wearing it and fully intended wearing it to bed!
  • Options
    I've got three nice medals (FLM, GNR and Aldridge Manor House 10K, all this year) and they are hanging from an ornate brass light-fitting above my desk at work. When I get three more, I shall add them - they need to be in multiples of three so that the light fitting doesn't tilt. One scraggy one from Little Aston Road Race is, I think, in my FLM memorabilia file. I don't keep numbers and my two race T-shirts are so big that my 11-year-old daughter wears them as nightshirts.
  • Options
    Thanx Codfather what a great idea! Instead of my children dressing up in them perhaps I should wear them in the bedroom. Look out tonight mrs beer belly here comes MEDALION MAN!
  • Options
    A few years ago, someone at the Nottingham Robin Hood was selling glass medal frames - hubby bought me one as a late birthday pressie so it's on the wall with my best medals in it. the other medals are in a shoe box in the bottom of the wardrobe and it keeps the neices and nephews quiet for hours sorting them out into tidy piles.
  • Options
    OK, at the risk of sounding a complete nutter . . .
    when I get home from the race I stand on a chair and get the Mr to present me my medal in front of an (imaginary obviously) adoring crowd of thousands. There are cheers, an emotional speech, and then I am lifted from the chair and carried firemam style to hot bath.
    I also still have my sliver foil from GNR 2001, from which I think I could be re-created from the DNA in the dried sweat.
    Sorry I know thats gross.
  • Options
    now if I can just teach the cats to applaud . . .
  • Options
    Hey daisy are you going to make us guess what happened after the hot bath??? That's not fair!
    Well this is my best guess....
    You and your husband curl up on the sofa, soft lighting, gentle music, he starts to whisper sweet nothings into your ear, he strokes your hair and listens to those little sighs of pleasure, he leans forward to kiss you only to realise...THAT YOU ARE ACTUALLY FAST ASLEEP AND THOSE LITTLE SIGHS OF PLEASURE IS YOU SNORING!
  • Options
    BBB
    you are close, but not quite . . .
    after the bath we settle down on the sofa and discuss the race in fine detail, from the troublesome nth mile when I seemed to be running backwards to crossing the finish and what I will do differently next time. The Mr mumbles in agreement and sighs with pleasure at the thought his wife is so fit, healthy, dynamic . . . its only when I lean over to kiss him that I realise that those sighs of pride and admiration are him snoring, because, once again, I have bored him half to death with race plans, training timetables and general running trivia.