Options

Half Marathon Improvement

I am aiming to do half marathon next year and would really like a time of 1:40 - managed 1:48 this year - have been running for 2 years now. I see that you have to do about 7.35 min/mile which I can manage in 10k races at the moment but that is pushing myself. I can't manage that while training on my own. But if I do speedwork, I can do 6.30 min/mile for one min fast/one min slow. I'm not sure what to do to get faster. Should I build up from, say 2 miles at expected half marathon pace and add a mile each week/fortnight or should I try and do the smaller reps - 400 metres/800 metres at a faster pace than half marathon pace, or is it ok to do both. At the moment, work and children allowing, I do a longish run 8-10 miles per week, then a 4-5 mile run twice, try and do the elliptical and then speedwork. Can anyone advise. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    I think you long run wants increasing. It's ok to do long & short reps/intervals
  • Options
    Mairead, the longer runs and speedwork will both help. Training guidelines: run faster for shorter and slower for longer distances than your target race distance.
    DCD
  • Options
    Mairead
    I ran 2 HMs this year fairly successfully (after a lay off of many years) -- it's much too far for me really.
    Most of my training was in a gym (which I do not generally condone other than for quality sessions).
    [E.g 5 x 1 mile reps on treadmill with 5 x 300m slow jog recovery.]
    I reckon 13.5 km/h for your mile & 8.0 km/h for your recovery.
    This is a great speed endurance session; help to build both your speed & endurance for the longer (10k+) distances.
  • Options
    Hi!

If you want to do 1/2 marathons you should do a run at 1/2 marathon pace once every two weeks. Try increasing the distance until you are comfortable running at this pace for 10 miles.

I also think that your long runs should be increased. Good luck!
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Should that be intended or current half-marathon pace, Spud? Strikes me that if you're running at current half-marathon pace that's not going to make you faster as you know you can already do it at that pace?
  • Options
    Minkin,

I did a 10k race then used the mcmillanrunning calculator to predict my 1/2m time from my 10k. i then used it to pace my longer runs (up to 10 miles).
  • Options
    You can use expected time but be very careful and build up slowly or you will burn yourself out.
  • Options
    HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    build speed through 'Quality' training over short distances e.g. hill reps or sprints. build endurance through long slow (er than target pace) runs, up to and beyond you intended distance (except for full maras).

Then on race day after a good taper, speed and endurance will come together.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the replies - that has given me something to go on. Half marathon is in March so will get plenty of training in before then. Cheers everyone
  • Options
    Spud - surely doing 10m runs at 1/2-marathon pace would lead to serious fatigue. I think 4-5m is the ideal for tempo runs (ie 1/2 marathon pace runs) - running at this pace puts a lot of strain on your legs and will limit the rest of your training if overdone. On the Mcmillan running calculator, the long run pace is a good minute per mile slower than 1/2m pace.

Mairead - I agree with Big Tim, you really need to increase your long runs. Running under the race distance is fine if you just want to get round, but you need to build extra endurance if you want to go for a time. Believe it or not, long slow runs will increase your ability to sustain a faster pace in a race.
  • Options
    Aarvark / Big Tim

Where spare time is no object then increasing long runs with other sessions is bound to help improve.
    However, given Mairead's time constraints (same applies to me) and already good base of 1 longish run & 2 medium runs per week, the additional sessions should be quality speed endurance rather than throwing in the extra miles at a comfortable pace.
    IMHO you must feel what it's like to run at a faster pace (more than 1min on /1min off). Rapid improved performance will follow.
    I don't like to use the term 'plodding' but if you get use to this then this is all that you will be able to do and sub 1:40 will remain a pipe dream.
    400m reps are great for 1500m track events and the like but do not provide the sort of endurance needed for the long distances.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    If time is limited for the longer run and you can only manage one every now and again. Quite a good regime to adopt could be one mile ran at about your expected half m pace and one mile recovery, alternate this for the 13+ miles obviously with the first and last mile or so at a warm up/cool down pace.

I try and do longer sprint intervals for a half training, I think that they are more beneficial for the longer distance. Say 2k sprints with 90 sec recovery for about 25/30 mins.

I would also do a tempo run once a week, except perhaps on the weeks when you are doing the longer run with alternating miles fast and slow. Say again 25/30 mins just as Aardvark suggests.

I have to say I have not achieved such a good time as yourself but my time is very good for my age group, therefore it is all relative.

Then any other time you have left in the week can be gentle miles to make up the volume if you feel it is necessary. But fit in the quality sessions in addition to the long weekly run before adding quantity.
  • Options
    Have been thinking about increasing long run but am a bit confused as if you follow a half marathon schedule, the first few weeks are normally 5,6,7 miles there or thereabouts and it's only in the last 3-4 weeks that the long run mileage increases. Do you mean that to improve my time, I should be doing 10-12 miles every week at long run pace? I would be able to fit it in - just get up extra early. Also, I'm just wondering if I've been a bit over ambitious with my estimation of 1.48 to 1.40. Do you think it's possible?
  • Options
    It is possible, with the long runs of 10-12 12-14. Just build up to them steadily.

In my view anything over 10 is a long run anything under is not. but it does depend on your goals.
  • Options
    HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    If you're already doing a longer weekend run than the schedule you're following, great. My advice would still be to up it (progressively) and get into the 10-12-14 territory sooner rather than later. If nothing else this will get them 'in the bank' for you should you have problems later in your training. If you do go for the longones early though, do factor in a 'back off ' week with a shorter one at the weekend.