Options

Help! thoughts & advice

2»

Comments

• Options
    Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

Lirish - I know what you mean. There are quite a few runners in the office I'm in, and I have a number of freinds who are running and competing in triathlons regularly.

I run most lunchtimes from my office, so I'm 'spotted' by my colleagues. They know that I run, a lot. I don't need to explain it. I have hence become 'running guru' which doesn't befit or please me.

And I do get a lot of 'You must be so fit...' comments. I find it embarassing, I'd rather not talk about it. I could lie and save myself the embarassment, but when people talk to me about their running I can't help but enthuse about it. And like you, I'm just as proud of the small races/short distances.

And Marcus, you're going to be quick! That's fast over trails!

• Options
    snap, I'm not going to be quick, I'm pushing myself in training, so I can try and follow some of the other guidance given on here on the actual day.. Go slow, hang back, creep up on people (not in a stalking way) rather than boast past people in a wreck less must catch mentality!

My goal is to enjoy it, finish inside the allotted runners time, and hopefully build some confidence if I choose to do a slightly more adventous self support race in the future... Plus meet some nice people to chat to as we move through the city, hills and finally see the seaimage

I'm sure deep down people do think I'm a little mental (family, friends and other runners), but in all seriousness I love the outdoors, and I want to see it & enjoy it, not run through head down, sweating and panting for that all important breath just to cross a line.
  • Options

Marcus, it sounds like you've got a good approach - go out there and enjoy it!

Lirish, human progress works because we can communicate and learn from one another. Why should each person have to re-invent the wheel (or their training schedule) from scratch? Building on what other people have learned is smart, not lazy (or it's smart laziness). Personally I think that plans are a useful guide - to be adapted according to your life, your level of fitness, yyour body's ability to cope with particular training loads or increases etc., not to be followed to the letter - but to give you an idea of appropriate training volumes etc. without having to find out the hard way that you're done way too little, or pushing too far in training.

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

They can be a useful guide to get an idea of how another person thinks a huge number of can prepare for a particular event, but how do you know an appropriate training volume if you only ever follow what someone else says? How do you know you are not capable of running 100+ miles a week if you never try? How do you know you can not get the same results on 75 miles per week spread over short fast sessions?

As I said, they can give you an idea or a ball park figure but surely half the fun is getting out running, finding things out and then putting them into practice. I think the results sill be better too.

• Options
    Debra you're right, development is the key but people being what and who they are they, we, tend to take the path of least resistance and all to often that path is one of non questioning and slavish devotion to a plan that's lifted from a magazine and has no relevance to what you're doing at all. All to often instead of looking into why you're doing what you're doing and reacting to what your body is telling you you'll just do the miles the programme says, leading yourself into potential injury or over training, even if the volume of mileage you're doing is relatively low if your conditioning isn't great then the potential for harm is great.

Here's an example of taking the path of least resistance. Im a trained PTI who regularly takes people from work on training Sessions, I'm an ex pro athlete and I'm a relatively experienced ultra runner who reads voraciously about my chosen sport.

Several times in the past few years there's been threads on here for people asking for advice on a range of subjects, a couple of times I've PMd offers to people saying essentially provide me with more info and I'll tailor my advice to them, spend tem minutes answering some questions and the advice will be bespoke to you. As yet I've only had one person take me up on the offer.

So here's my thing, maybe I come across as a grumpy feck here but I'm a big subscriber to the idea that if you want help then first help yourself, identify what you want to know, try to find the answers yourself as best you can then ask specific questions. What we have here is not really people asking for help, we have people asking for re assurance, to have their plans validated and their hand held a little bit. Well I'm afraid I'm of the generation which means I'll tell you to mtfu and get on with it. And help you put when you do
  • Options

I do agree about helping yourself first and other will be glad to help you.   In all walks of life  Ie depression, battles with the booze. weight loss.

Actually I could do with some help!   I can never get to sleep at night so end up being tired.   Does anyone take the herbal stuff?

• Options
    Yes, I've taken sominax a couple of times and it knocks me for six, feel really groggy in the morning and take ages to get going
  • Options
    Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭
    I get the same with sominex and herbal nytol. Strangely, the normal nytol is better.

I also use valerian tea and you can get valerian caps. Smell like feet but very effective!

I've always slept light and short and it take sme ages to get off in the first place. I find television and alcohol to be contributory factors and keep them to a minimum. Usually works.
  • Options

I have been reading with interest the discussion on training plans, so this is my 5 pence.

I have always looked at some of the ones available for both marathon and ultra distances (for both times I have achieved and those I would like to) and have never got my head round the amount of training they include.  .

Many people I talk to at races tell me about their 6 day out of 7 training and then I am surprised, and this is with out wanting to be harsh, that they don't seem to be as fast as I have assumed (even taking into account their age, experience etc).  I'm sure this will be my downfall eventually as I try to progress in speed and distance, but I really think less can be more and it is better to run well several times a week than to just 'run' almost everyday. 

On a related note, what I would however recommend adding to your training (and I am not sure if this is something backed up by any evidence) is combining a longish run with a parkrun.  It goes something like this: run 3-5 miles (or more if you want, I've done up to 10) at a gentle pace to arrive about 5 minutes before the start of your local parkrun.  Then run the 5km as fast as you can.  Then run around 3-5 miles, but more if possible, home.  I find this is an easy way to recreate that running on tired legs feeling without having to head out for hours and hours.  On new years day I did a two parkrun 17miler that was particularly enjoyable- a sort of long interval session. 

• Options
    shawkshawk ✭✭✭

Re: sleep

I used to be pretty bad at getting to sleep, would often lie awake for hours before dropping off. Tried nytol years ago but it didn't really do anything and I don't think stuff like that is a viable long term solution anyway.

Reading in bed for 15-20 mins works wonders.

I recently stopped drinking caffine, not to be able to sleep better, but I think I am sleeping better not having it in my system. It's certainly nice not having to bosh 3 cups of tea every morning to avoid a brutal headache! If you drink a lot of tea/coffee then this could work.

Work out how much sleep you actually need too, some people say they need 8-9 hours, I work ok off about 7. There's no point trying to force 8 hours if you don't need it because you'll never be properly tired. Also, if you do struggle to sleep one night, don't be tempted to stay in bed the following morning. Get up normally and while you may be tired for a few days you should gradually start to be more tired at night and sleep better for it.