Options

Longish runs in west Birmingham

I'm bored with my usual routes here in Birmingham - Woodgate Valley, Warley Woods, Halesowen Bypass. I'm also increasing the length of the Sunday run - now doing 11 miles but want to get up to 15.

Any suggestions for scenic routes, especially with nice running surfaces i.e. not pavements? And not too hilly!!

For anyone looking for nice, short, hilly routes, try:

1. Clent Hills, there is a five and half mile walk described in the Ordnance Survey "Heart of England Walks" pathfinder guide. Starts at Nimmings visitor centre, takes you through Clent village and up to Calcot Hill.

2. Waseley Hills Country Park. The waymarked "Fox Walk" is really hilly, all off road and is about 3 miles. I can do it in 25 minutes, so for a longer hilly run, do it twice! Then you can have tea and cakes in the Visitor Centre. Just watch out for the cow pats. And for the cows.

Comments

• Options
    You can go from Whychbury Hill over Clent, Walton, Romsley Hill, Waseley Park and over the Lickeys, then back again if you want a really long run.
    Kinver isn't far away either, its got some nice steep climbs.
  • Options
    Thanks, Matt. I will get out my map. Any flatter suggestions also very welcome.
  • Options
    As an ex londoner, I always to used to drive out into Kent to do some long country runs (and I always felt the couple of hours in the car was worth it) Now I live near Tewkesbury, there's no need! But if you're prepared to drive, then slip down the M5 to junction9 and explore the Bredon Hill area. The ordnance survey walks book on the Cotswolds has a long run there, but I just use an ordinary map and explore the tracks. Great views of the Malverns, Black mountains, cotswolds etc, and plenty of solitude without being more than a couple of miles from a village.
  • Options
    Thanks for both suggestions. I have done some walking in the Bredon area so I will fish out the old routes and try running them.

Have also made the effort to try a new route - since orienteering isn't my thing, I found a good long stretch of rural canal on my map. Five miles out and five miles back on the canal from Hopwood, past Alvechurch and onward! I probably wouldn't have bothered if you guys hadn't nudged me into looking at the maps.

Cheers.
  • Options
    Gabriella- you will have run past my dad's house then.
    All you need to do now is find some hills on the map and use the tow paths to get there and back.