Options

Getting caught in the crowd..

Comments

• Options
    David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

I know day-glo man from Wokingham probably annoyed you, but by the same token if its a 'race' as you claim ....... then why should my time be artificially 10, 20 or an hour slower than what it really was? 

Because your time won't be - you'll still get your chip time.  Your race position will be lower than it would be if you start on the line, but once you're out of the prizes does that matter?  Day-glo man probably ran the entire race being overtaken, meanwhile a minute behind him there's a group of 1:50 runners all together, having a much better race of it and passing him before the finish because he started far too fast.  He probably ran slower than he would have done had he started further back.

Not to mention that the race organisers invariably ask people to start in an appropriate pen.  A polite request rather than a rule, sure, but they're not asking just to annoy you.

You should go and do the Northumberland Coastal Run.  When the tide is out the start line must be over 100m long, right down the beach.  Everyone gets to be on the start line!

• Options

I've found this discussion interesting (and loved the suggestion of being at the front for the better photos!). On the other end of the scale, I suppose it is possible to be the slowest in the field without coming 'last', which seems slightly harsh on the person who placed themselves appropriately at the back in the first place. I know when I did the Great Manchester 10k last year I became infuriated at overtaking people who were a wave ahead of me (so had started 20 minutes before), while some of my wave were happily walking 10-abreast. But that was as much my fault for slightly underestimating my finish time in what was a really busy event. 

• Options

I keep a list of all my results and place finishes .   

I've finished in the top 10, 20, 30 , 40...100..  200.. 300.  1000, 2000...5000  and loads of positions in between.   

I've got loads of place numbers and all combination of  finish times.  I'm pretty sure one day my number will be up then what am i going to do with all the ones i have already collected ?  I'm wondering if there is a market for old pb's because

i could do someone a good deal  on my 10k times.

• Options
    It's a race! Position in the chip table is what counts to me not PB or gun time.

I'm not fast enough to win so being near the front doesn't affect me.

I'll see where I came %age wise. Top 50% or top 65% I also find it interesting that some races can be 'clubby' and my %age position will be low but other races can be 'fun' and my position will be high.

If I just wanted a random chip time to see how fast I can fun 13miles I would go out and run 13miles. The whole point of a race (for me) is to compare how I am with me peers. As well as have fun, meet new people and look at fit girls in Lycra...
  • Options

DF3 - I guess those at the pointy end care because there are prizes (often money) at stake. Further down I expect more people see the 'race' as against themselves and their own PB rather than against others. I agree though there is no hard and fast rule about any of this, it's what you make of it.  I'm sometimes in the running for an age group prize and honestly can't think of a time where I studied the results to see if anyone finishing higher than me in my category had a slower chip time than me. Life's too short image

• Options

TimR - fair point, you've just confirmed that we all look at these things differently! I do races because I enjoy the atmosphere and always run faster with other people around me, so a 13 mile race time would pretty much always be quicker than a 13 mile training run for me, no matter how hard I pushed it.  Do I like the fact that I sometimes bag a prize? - of course I do, but it's because I've done better than I thought I would, not really because I've beaten anyone else.

• Options
    There are people in pink tutus who run over the line and don't care whether they are 5016th or 5017th and then they are people who need to be competitive on some level. People who want to beat their best mate, their worst enemy or even the guy who you think you should beat because he is racing in football socks.
  • Options

ha ha

we all want to beat the guy in football socks.image

• Options
    It's true. All your basic instincts from the cave come out. You don't want to be beaten by a woman, a fatty or the twat with the i-pod. The finish line comes up and the 3% Neanderthal kicks in aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrggghhhh!!!!. Or you could be the guy in the tutu...........tum de tum. I like my 3% Neaderthal!
  • Options
    It's never personal with me. We're all different, we run differently, we eat differently, we train differently, we're different ages, we run for different reasons.

On race day we're all the same. If I can run faster than half the runners then I'm better than average. Well, on that day on that course anyway.
  • Options
    Yes, can see where you are coming from love. Being slightly better than average must be a huge motivation. You wouldn't want any of that passion would you? No offence love.
  • Options
    My thoughts about the last 200 metres? 40 odd seconds of pain or a lifetime of wishing you weren't beaten by Fireman Sam!!
  • Options

yeah, but I bet your chip time was better than his.

• Options

At least that would solve your forum avatar problem.

• Options
    As I say Sussex Runner, we're all different, we all have different histories and aims. 10years ago I was so ill that I couldn't climb stairs without having to rest every step. Walking 100m would have been out of the question let alone running 13 7min miles in a row!
  • Options
    Yeah I did that to someone last year. Great feeling. Like crushing a butterfly or pulling the legs off a spider.
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

The first race I did was a 1:28 half marathon that put me in the top 25% of the field, 325th I think. Two years later I was 30th in 1:16:36, but I don't consider myself competitive.

I just train, and then race to see what happens. To see if the training has worked.

Other people are there, but nothing to do with me. 

Once the race starts, I just find a clear path and that's all.

Most races spread out quite quickly so not much need for pushing and shoving.

My own view on slow runners starting at the front is only that they are going to suffer physically from too fast a start. As mentioned already, they will end up with a worse result than they could have done.

There's enough evidence to show that I'm not particularly desperate to beat everyone possible in a race.

🙂

• Options
    Bullshit! You post your medals and finishing times on here. You are at least 5% Neanderthal!!
  • Options
    The shorter the race the more you need animal instict(or Neanderthal) Distance marathons you need the control that Rik F has in a bun dance.
  • Options
    roebyroeby ✭✭✭

It can work the other way, I,m fairly middle of the road as far as times go, not the best but better than most finishersimage...........I always put myself in the correct little box for my times..................then blow me ...........................100 metres in and everyone is charging off hell for leather........like they got a rocket up there bums..........steaming past me pushin and a shovin.....a few miles in and I,m over taking them all.image.......which is kind of poetic in a way...............and feels GREAT !

• Options
    ................are you ................seren nos ..............in disguise.................
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I've won a few races.

🙂