Options

In the dark

Have been lurking a while but here goes:

this time of year the only time I can go out running is in the dark

Does anyone have any safety suggestions as I'm starting to feel a bit wussy about potential twisted ankles, leaves on the pavement, being run over, being mugged, having fireworks let off at me by the youth of today etc... Or tell me to pull myself together young lady?!

I do possess a luminous bib and a torch, but I feel as though I'm running out of routes that are "safe" to run in the dark. If anyone's in the Guildford area and can point out some good places to run as the nights draw in, that would be nice :)

Comments

• Options
    I run on paths and roads that I have run many times so I know where any bumps, holes etc are. You're best sticking with well lit roads that are fairly busy. It might also be a good idea to join a club too, it makes running in the dark much safer, you'll make new friends and it'll help keep you motivated.

Danni
  • Options
    a headlamp and a luminous bib are good

were i a woman i wouldn't want to run alone in the dark though - can't you try the local running club or something, to find a training partner?
  • Options
    Running alone as a woman is fine, Andy. Sorry, but I get really annoyed when people suggest to women that it is not safe to run alone. It is, you just need some common sense.

You're more likely to be hit by a pizza delivery van than attacked.

You can minimise your risk of coming a cropper by sticking to well lit areas for instance, main or residential roads, wearing reflective gear, and looking confident. Oh, and never wearing headphones. Ever. And looking both ways before crossing the road. And if you do see anyone dodgy, cross the road or at least run on the road side of them.

As someone said on another thread, on winter nights mot potential attackers are safely and warmly indoors ....

But on saying all this, joining a running club is a good idea
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    There are no well-lit roads near me.
    And you do need a little more than common sense to be entirely safe - you need to be faster or stronger than a would-be attacker, for a start.

I *know* that would-be attackers are very few and far between, and I *know* the statistical probability of being assaulted is very small - but I don't find it annoying or a slight to my intelligence when people show concern.
  • Options
    Have to agree juliejoo. Add 'smarter' to the list of needs.
    I hate the fact that my heartrate jumps when I come accross someone on my lone runs in the dark. In fact, I hate running in the dark.Running then becomes stressful.
    A personal alarm is a really good idea and always let someone know how long you'll be and where you are going.
    Nice to see a bit of sensitivity from the males on this topic.
  • Options
    www.ggac.co.uk

Website for Guildford and Godalming Athletics club. Seem to cater for a range of abilities.
  • Options
    I'm a solo felame runner, I'm also a morning person (sorry) and it would appear that (in Woking at least), all the nutters, etc. seem to be ticked up in bed at 5:45!! The only other ppes I see are the binmen, milkman, dog walkers and occassional other runners. Also it's soooo peacful as there's not much traffic either........go on, give it a go!
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips - I have been thinking about joining a club but for some reason I'm still apprehensive. Maybe it still carries a whiff of school X-country sessions about it! I will investigate Guildford & Godalming though, thanks barnsleyrunner.

Actually I'm not usually too worried about being jumped - as LizzyB says, it's the traffic that's more of a worry, at least where I live. I do seem to be getting more nervous though - last week I heard a sudden rustling which made me swerve wildly and go all fight-or-flight. It was a smaller-than-average 10 year old scuffing through the leaves up ahead of me. heh. It rather removed the "easy" from my easy run though!

I expect joining a club is what I need to do now - they will know some good routes, and improve my training too. I don't know how I will deal with running in a group though - I quite like being solitary when I run.

• Options
    I'm a total ninny when it comes to running in the dark - I know there's no real reason why I shouldn't give it a go. I lay my kit out, have got new batteries for my headtorch to try out in unlit regions, but I still haven't got out there. Working on it .... as much use as shoes on a snake.
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    Shambler - I love the early morning, too! For the same reason - doesn't seem to be the same sort of 'dark', does it?
  • Options
    Exactly!! It's just so much more peaceful. Bit of a nature trail really, I even saw 2 deer on Tuesday morning, as well as the usual foxes, rats, cats, birds, etc. I LOVE it!
  • Options
    Joining a club is a good plan but it doesn't solve this problem. How many clubs tun 5/6 times a week? Not mine thats for certain. So at some point you still have to deal with running alone in the dark.

Lizzy's points are good ones and will keep you safe in most circumstances.

My biggest concern is always the twisted ankle one for which the only answer is to try and run well lit routes and slow down if you are unsure of your footing. This is one thing which isn't helped by running with a club - our 1km intervals route has places between streetlights where the lighting is poor and tree roots are coming through the pavements - tricky running!
  • Options
    That is so true, M.

On my last 3 club runs someone has tripped and gone sprawling or collided with crash barriers in the badly-lit town streets. Soggy leaves and wet cobbles don't help.

I run extra carefully now !

• Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    I don't think the fact it's dark at 5 pm is a reason not to run at my usual 6-6:30 pm. In fact, now I've started a lot more slow aerobic running I'm quite grateful for the veil of night to disguise my slow pace!

As LynneW has said, concerns are more about not breaking my neck. Last week I did a 5-mile route which is all along busy main roads - although one of them is not residential and is quite dark. Last week all the street lamps along this part of the route were out (and still are) and it was pouring with rain. It was impossible to see where the puddles or kerb edges were as there were alos loads of soggy fallen leaves. I ended up with soaking wet feet as I couldn't see where the puddles were and had to walk most of this section as I was worried about tripping up.

Running slower does have some small advantages. Twice recently I've almost fallen flat on my face in the same place after being nearly floored by a raised paving stone. After slowing down I remembered to look out for it and avoided it - I didn't even see it when I was hurtling along at full pelt!
  • Options
    petzl halogen headlamp - about £30 from outdoorsy shops - the beam is adjustable and you can set it to a bright pool of light about 10' wide/long in front of your feet

i run in complete darkness, and its great

its also steady on the ground in front - not like carrying torches, which dart about and make you seasick
  • Options
    I run alone at night and I have a few different routes that I know really well, I always tell me Mum which one I'm doing. I run at about 5.30pm, I don't think it's unsafe, just have to be sensible.

I kind of prefer running in the dark, makes it more interesting as I concentrate more on where I'm going than the fact I'm running. The only danger there is falling down a hole!

I also have a mobile phone holder that I strap to my arm so I can take my mobile, incase I fall in a ditch and can't get out!
  • Options
    Like the headlamp idea - any excuse to get a new gadget !

Went for an after dark run with M. last night, and on the badly-lit stretches it made me realise that I just can't run if it is too dark for me to see my own feet.

It was illuminated by fireworks, though - some so loud I nearly jumped into the road !

• Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Know what you mean, Lynne - I lived in fear of a stray firework hurtling off course and straight at me! It was great though - got to see the best of all the local displays AND run at the same time!
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    Andy - been meaning to ask you: your headtorchythingy felt heavy in my hands - does it feel heavy on your head?

'course being a big tuff blerk you might not think so, but how about for a fragile girlie?