Options

Running technique

I'm now into 4th week of base training @ 145bpm and have decided to investigate running technique as I run 6.5 miles a day. I am a total newbie. Also, apologies if this has been covered before.

Current technique is......well there isn't one - really. I sort of land on my heel, roll onto the ball of my foot and try to spring off me toes. And then repeat for my other foot.

Have tried varying hand height level (above/below hips), shoulder and hip rolling, and stride length. Finally, as I get tired I can no longer step 'lightly' but my foot sort of 'crashes' into the pavement. No matter what I do the results are my HR goes up and stays up and I often have to walk.

I looked up articles which mentioned running styles and found these two: lydiard and Pose (Pose Tips).

Lydiard seemed similar to the variations I had already tried out. Did Pose today and found out:
- a bit weird but got used to it after a mile or so, perhaps I'm not doing it right.
- managed to control my HR ie lowered it even towards the end of the run!
- found the run easier & faster then before
- knees and hips didn't ache at all but lower leg muscles between heel and back of knee do ache.

I think running on the ball of my feet with knees bent made most of the differences.

Would like to know about other people's experience with running styles.

<<NRG-B sticks fingers in ears and shouts 'Fire in da hole!' then ducks>>

Comments