Options

Grand Canyon Rim to Rim Run

Greetings,

I'm trying to gather as much information as I can on running the Grand Canyon Rim to Rim. Thinking about doing a Spring crossing in 2005.

Has anyone done it?
Does anyone know where I can find out more?

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback

cheers
mm

Comments

• Options
    There was something in one of the running magazines a couple of years ago where they took a group over to do this, which sounded like excellent fun - I put my name forward but wasn't chosen (shame!). From memory, I found a few descriptions via Google.

Good luck if you do decide to do it - I've walked part way down and its a long way and very hot (surprise surprise!)
  • Options
    I found a site for the grand canyon marathon which is in October @ www.grandcanyonmarathon.com

I found an article about the Rim to Rim run @ http://www.recreate.com/Pages/articles/mdennis3.shtml

Hope this helps. Looks like a fun race...if you like the dry, I mean DRY, air and the change in altitude.... ;o)
  • Options
    I read somewhere that the record for the rim to rim is about 3 1/2 hours and the distance is about 20 miles - I would certainly like to do this if I was ever in the area. Best of luck MM
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Marathong, great link, I really want to do it now.

Only problem is that one of our party is a seasoned ultra runner and she's trying to convince me that the only 'sesnsible' thing to do is the out-and-back. Ermm..I'm not sure 44M with 22000 ft elevation change would be the best way to introduce my legs to ultras!

If anyone has anymore links or knows where I can get additional info that would be great.

P.S. Don't tell Tim Rainey I'm planning on doing this, I'll never live it down ;-)
  • Options
    MM...I think you mean 2200 ft elevation change....teehee
  • Options
    I think that climbing up out of the Grand Canyon from river to rim is going to more than 1100' - just done nearly that amount of climb in my lunchtime run! Standing at the top of GC looking down, the bottom is a very long way away
  • Options
    Marathong,
    I wish! You drop about 6000ft off the North Rim (~8000ft) down to the canyon floor (~2000ft) and then climb about 5000ft up to the South Rim (~7000ft). Hence, out-and-back gives you 22000 ft of elevation change over 44M, GULP!
  • Options
    Half of it's downhill though, so we all know that doesn't count!
  • Options
    If you'd like to read a good report of a rim-to-rim-to-rim crossing try:

http://www.teamnomad.com/whatsnew/assets/R2R2R_recap.pdf
  • Options
    eekkk......lol The way you worded it, it sounded like you were going up to 22000 altitude...heehee

I've been to the Grand Canyon once...it is awesome. We made the GC the last stop on our vacation..... we took one look down and said "no way". Our legs were too tired from all the other mountain hiking we did... This run sounds great though....might be worth checking into...2005 would be the soonest I could manage this one also....too many other plans for 2004.
  • Options
    I was on the Running Fitness team who did the Rim 2 Rim run.
    For an article about it you can check this site:
    http://www.brackla-harriers.co.uk/
    Select 'Race reports & results' on the left column, then 'rim 2 rim'.

The main problem with the 'rim 2 rim' is that you have to leave your car on one side on the canyon and, even if you have someone who agrees to drive your car to the other side, it's still a 5/6 hours drive.
    A more practical solution (and one which many people choose) is to do the rim 2 rim 2 rim. Count on a good 10/12 hours.
  • Options
    Ah ha, caught you!!!!
    The US ultrarunners were always going on about the Rim to Rim thing when I was on the ultra message list.
    Ironically I'll be staying at te canyon at the beginning of January but it'll be post 24 hour race so I won't be doing much climbing, I might not even be able to ride one of those mules.
    See you
  • Options
    shush you lot.. shush.

tim you crazy boy... i'm not planning on another 24hr... not till 2005 anyway.
  • Options
    I'd actually worked out a way to make te Across the Years race my 10th 24 hour but it'll only work if Doncaster's on and I do Hull and Tooting Bec.
    Is the Marmite jar hiding from me do you think?
  • Options
    DAMN, caught out again! Really Tim, if we do the out-and-back it will be my first and last ultra, if we do the one way crossing, just counts as a long run with a lot of up and down, right? So still claim to be considerably less barking than your good self, Monique and numerous other barkingly barking people from Barking on the forums!

Nick, thanks for the link to the article. Sounds like quite and experience. Did you do much specific training e.g. running up the 'down' escalator at King's Cross for hours on end or did you just 'wing-it' on the back of marathon type training? Advice, info and a compelling reason not to do it, welcomed ;-)
  • Options
    I think even one way it counts as ultra nuttiness!!

Woof
  • Options
    DAMN, DAMN and DAMN again....or should that be WOOF WOOF and WOOF again.

;-)
  • Options
    MM,

No I didn't do any specific training for it, but ran it on the back of the London Marathon. All in all, it was quite easy though the heat can be a problem (we went in May, and the temperatures on the Canyon floor and in the afternoon were in excess of 45 degrees).
    We had some food at the bottom (a couple of energy bars) before coming back up.
    The climb up was quite long and harduous (about 2 to three times the height of Snowdon, but it was runable all the way & very enjoyable). If you take your time (forget about doing it in 3.5 hours, which is the record time in which it's been done), it is very manageable if you can run a marathon.
    I can't see any reason why I would want to try and put you off: it was an amazing experience, perhaps less so for the sense of accomplishement, but simply because running was a great way to take in the amazing scenery. (It also got me my picture on the cover of Running Fitness, which is -I'm afraid- my sole claim to fame).
  • Options
    One thing I forgot to mention: there's a ranch on the canyon floor where you can book accomodation... If I was to do that run again, for maximum pleasure, I'd do a rim 2 rim 2 rim, where I'd cross, then go back down again; spend the night at the ranch (how many people can claim to have spent the night at the bottom of the Grand Canyon?) then come back up the next morning. I'd also book me a descent of the colorado river on a raft, but I think there's a 3 to 5 years waiting list for these :-(
  • Options
    Nick J,
    Thanks for the detailed response. Must admit although I've never done an ultra am warming (?) to the idea of doing the rim-to-rim-to-rim, primarily because one of our party is a seasoned ultrarunner and thinks it'll be 'fun'. But I like the sound of sleeping at Phantom Ranch, either way it sounds completely awesome. Can hardly wait!

Cheers
  • Options
    Have a look on the coolrunning.com forum
    Under their ultra section there is a lady who recently did it.

I got invited but was running the Firetrails 50 instead to qualify for WS100.

Runnerbee her forum name is I think....

Cheers,

Henk