Options

What does it take to a sub 2:40 marathon?

Hello everybody,

I posted this new thread beacause I would like to chase the idea of a sub 2h40m marathon.

I would be pleased with all the opinions about mileage, speed work, long runs.. and % of MHR for the workouts.

Thank you very much.

Comments

• Options
    Hi Jose, cannot possibly give much advise about your training, but maybe you could tell us about your current training and about any recent races?

Others with more experience than me may then give you some ideas and information.
  • Options
    Like Jane M say's we need to know where your running is a the moment.
  • Options
    ... it takes a lot of discipline and believe.

There is one rule I try follow, however what works for me does not work for others. My target pace was possibly a bit ambitious with 6min/mile (2:37hr). However, this is what I did a 16m race 4 weeks before the marathon and I was fine.

Last Sunday I was 1 minute behind at 16m (1:37) and slowed down a little bit over the last 8m (undulating). Will try to improve this next time and maybe I will end up with a time in the lower 2:4x.

See, Leaving no stone unturned.

Note: All my training has been without a HRM.
  • Options

Well.. the marathon I am willing to do is on April the 18th. Right now I am building a base, I am trying to run no less then 1 hour per day (today I ran 50 minutes in the morning and in PM I ran near 16 km in 53m hilly course).

My plans are to build a base until the last day of the year (31st of december) and to start the training in January the 1st 2004.

I also want to say that I ran an 11Km race in October in 43 minutes with just 2 weeks of training and with intestine problems...

I ran my first marathon a year ago in 2h59m01s with 3 months of training. My currently Vo2 max is at 70.

Thank You =)
  • Options
    I see you want to run London Marathon, it is a fast course and you can get a good time.

Not sure if you got the numbers right. If you run 10m (16km) in 53 minutes, than you run a 5:18min/m pace.

Your 11k race time is 43 minutes is actually nothing special. For example, the UK Pop Idol winner runs faster than you :)

Basically, your times do not relate to each other. In order to move forward, I would try to get a 5k,10k and 1/2m time.

Maybe you want to follow the Kenyan principle, they run an easy seassion at 6AM and the main (intense) session at 10AM. By doing this they allow their body more recovery time.
  • Options
    URR
    Who won pop Idol?
  • Options
    Will Young, he ran in the Capital FM Featbeat 10k in Hyde Park a 39:20. Puhh, glad that I ran faster :)
  • Options
    I'd have thought that anyone entering popidle would need to be able to run fast to escape the impending shame.
  • Options
    Well, Dodge I can tell you a lot of people were p***** o** about finishing behind him LOL
  • Options
    ah
    a 10k

Not a marathon then
    Good time he did though
    hes young, of course(excuses, excuses)
  • Options
    Jose,

Yes, some further background information would be useful. But - if you were to target 80 miles consistently per week training, including 2 speed sessions + long runs of 20 to 24 miles, getting your half marathon time down to 75-76 minutes, 10k around 34:30. etc. etc - you should be able to go under 2:40

I've been trying to do these things, but haven't quite achieved it - and my time is stubbornly 3 minutes slower!

Good luck!
    Daniel