Options

Max heart rate

Can someone help me...

I'm forty years old with a resting H-R of 47, however my max is either 166 or 160 (more of that later). Now, I'm worried cause this seems awfully low. It should be around 180, shouldn't it...So, first point, should I read anything signigficant into the low max. I'm I less fit than I thought...is my heart knackered (God forbid)?

Second point, the two max readings differ because I wore my HRM in a gym and the treadmill I was on gave the higher reading (automatically reading the transmitter, I assume) and my watch gave the 160. So which should I believe in terms of working out my percentages at which to run...

Any suggestions, please. I'm confused!

Comments

• Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    Max HR is a funny old thing - there's no 'should' about it. It's genetic. People only want to know what it is so that they can use it as a base for calculations.

The resting HR is the best indicator for fitness.

And are you sure you went up to the max anyway? Was it a test you were doing - or just so cream-crackered you thought you were going to pass out? :o) Or just puffed?

• Options
    Juliejoo, thanks for the response...I was trying to find my max H-R by doing two three minute sprints on a treadmill (as suggested on one of the web pages here, I think)with a short jog recovery. So I was pretty flat out and I reckon I definitely got close to my max...Which one should I use in my calculations though...Higher or lower?

PS Put my mind at rest about having a weird upper limit though...Cheers!
  • Options
    William, if it's any consolation to you ... I'm 43 with a resting rate of 40 or so and a max of 169.

If you've seen 166, then 166 is your max unless you can force it higher. I don't use treadies and doubt you can get your real max on them, but I could be wrong.

This is how I got mine. Find a hill that's reasonably steep and about 300 yards long. Warm up with a couple of miles of gentle jogging. Then run up the hill to the top at a steady, not breakneck, pace. Jog down to the bottom and do it again immediately. Do five ascents, so that by the fourth you can only just make it to the top and on the fifth you give up near the top in a panting, lathered sweaty heap.

You should hit your max on the fourth or fifth ascent.

• Options
    Muttley,

Thanks a bunch for that. I'm going to try your method and see what happens. Thanks.
  • Options
    William,

I've just brought my second HRM but it's such a long time ago that I've used the first I cannot remember my max hr.
    The way Muttley desribes how to get max hr is the same way I did before & plan to do again.
  • Options
    Quite often gym treadmills can be inaccurate, they should be tested for accuracy reguraly. Its not uncommon for a treadmill to produce diff data to watch
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Hi William, I'm another who doesn't seem to have a high max hr. I'm 39 with a resting hr of 42, but the highest I've ever got my max is 171. I know I'm fit so I'm not concerned. Maybe we've just got small hearts! Is that possible?!
  • Options
    Hilly - wouldn't that be big hearts ?

Your heart must be pretty well developed to have a resting rate of 42 !

William - sounds like you weren't on the Treadie long enough to see your max.

I got mine tested on a bike, and it was a good 15 min warm up, and then increasing the resistance every 2 minutes until I just couldn't take it any longer, and felt like my heart would explode !

You need to be well rested to get this, and after taking it, leave it a couple of weeks if you feel you weren't 100% flat out, before taking it again. It's very very strenuous.

• Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    Yup Cougie - bigger hearts.

:o)

My MHR is of course just 101.
  • Options
    Just into triple figs eh Jj ? Way to go Leopard !
  • Options
    ok, now v confused... what's the whole thing about 220-age then? (with added complications if you're female).

I'd do anything to avoid running up a hill 5 times!

And is your max HR supposed to be high or low? (biology was never my best subject... and I really can't work out whether it's good or bad if your heart can beat really fast)
  • Options
    Snail - that's just an estimate, but could be loads wrong. If you are bothering to use a HRM - you really need to know the MHR, or your zones could be all wrong.

I reckon the best would be to have a low RHR, as that'd mean you have a big efficient heart, but also a really high Max, as you would then be able to pump the blood around quicker ????

You can develop your heart through exercise, but I guess genetics play a big part too ?
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    Yes they do, Cougie.

But if your resting HR is going down, it's a good indicator of increasing fitness levels - mine's down from 60 to 49 so far.

[struts proudly and really rather fitly actually in search of a knee to bite]
  • Options
    I knew that low resting heart rate was good, but I don't get the point of max/min heart rates.

And if I can't understand the instructions that come with the HRM, I don't have a hope in hell of understanding a book on the subject.

I bought the HRM in January, I think, but haven't used it yet as I haven't figured out how to. I tried setting the max rate using the 220 formula, but I clearly did sth wrong as it started beeping alarmingly as I walked down the stairs. Unless I'm that unfit, which I don't believe. When I used a Polar HRM at the gym, the 'resting HR' (in as much as any HR could be described as 'resting' after a day's work) was about 43, and I managed to get it up to 200 going flat out on the treadie before I fell off the back, so I'd guess I'd be looking for similar numbers on my own HRM. In which case 220-age is clearly out!!

Don't suppose anyone else has a Timex Ironman 100-lap, do they? And if they do, do they live near me? ;-)

If genetics have anything to do with it, I might as well give up now...
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Snail-as cougie says Max hr is only really important for working out training zones and can only really be found by doing a test that measures how quick your heart can contract in one minute. There area number of tests either on a hill or track!

In the book I have these are the points related to max hr:-

"It is genetically determined.

It varies greatly among people of the same age.

It is NOT an indicator for athletic ability.

It's about the same for men and women.

It cannot increase with training, but can decrease from a sedentary lifestyle.

It is sport-specific.

It is affected by some drugs such as beta blockers.

It remains fairly constant in fit individuals."

I also read that the smaller the heart the higher the max hr (genetics)because of less total blood volume?!

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Yes cougie I meant bigger hearts!

There's quite a few folks on here with low heart rates like mine.

My pal who I used to train with aged 43 has a resting heart rate of 36!
  • Options
    Snail, sounds like you already know your max & a good low resting heart rate.

I on the other hand will look farward to killing myself on some hill's!!!!! ;-)
  • Options
    I'm not sure because it was using one of the HRMs that 'talks' to the machine, and I've read that they're unreliable. However, I've realised that 220 less age gives me 193, so 200 isn't as far out as I was thinking (the female formula gives me c. 180). Goodness only knows how old I thought I was when I typed the earlier post :-) The only problem now is how to get it into the HRM... and then work out the different zones...

BT, I wouldn't kill yourself, otherwise your heart will stop, and that won't be very useful for giving a max HR... :-)
  • Options
    OK, I'll just send myself dizzy *?!%£!!!!!!
    :-)

Still ran out of time last night to take a detailed look, I'll give it ago on my run tonight & see what happens.

It's an easy week so does'nt matter what happens!!!
  • Options
    boyf worked out HRM last night... told me very sarcastically that I might have found it more useful if I hadn't preset the monitor for a 32-yr old bloke with a max HR of 130.

I didn't know I had!

Anyway, used it this morning - didn't get as far as using the zones, as I don't really know about those, but kept an eye on the HR throughout the 5m run. All I can say is that my heart rate goes up a hell of a lot (from 130s to 160s) when I start thinking about work, and up again when I think about breakfast...

Now considering wearing the HRM to work...

so where can I find out about HR zones? And what should I be running at? I now suspect I'm not running as fast/hard as I should be (but then, my boyfriend would have said that anyway :-( ). My HR was around 115-120 just walking around and getting dressed, then stayed mainly in the 130s and 140s running. Even when I belted it the last stretch home, I only got it to 158, which, considering thoughts of work got it up to 168, is probably not good.
  • Options
    Not sure if the zones are called the same thing in all the books but these are I what I've found in mine.

For a max heart rate of about 200bpm

1. fat burning zone: 50%-60% max hr
    100-120 beats per min

2. healthy heart zone: 60%-70% max hr
    120-140 bpm

3. aerobic zone: 70%-80% max hr
    140-160 bpm

4. anaerobic threshold zone: 80%-90% max hr
    160-180 bpm

5. red line zone: 90%-100% max hr
    180-200 bpm

Snail, you don't need zone 1. ;-)

aerobic zone is the place to start

& it's sounds like going to work is your speed work!!!!!!!!!

All I have to do now is work out mine :-)
  • Options
    cheers, Tim!

Glad I put in an anaerobic performance at work... I think they should pay me extra for that!