Options

Friday 7th November

morning all.

what : rest
why : flu (again)
last hard : monday
last rest : thurs

hope to be fit for a cross country training session on sunday.

Comments

• Options
    Morning,

What: rest
    Why: rest & recovery phase.

Last hard: big M
    Last rest: Monday

Gave my legs a massage last night which made them feel better.
  • Options
    Morning

Work today
    What: Will try a little run this evening
    after work by little i mean little 15- 20 mins
    Why: Base-training and starting to add in
    another days training slowly and
    gradually

Have a good day everyone
    Happy runnig....
    ... and those sick/injured get well soon.
  • Options
    Pink Floyd.

Morning,

What:might try and go for a swim, but will probably be another rest day.
    Why: Dodgy knee. Going to try it out tomorrow, really do hope its ok, its had a whole week off running now.

Enjoy the weekend.
  • Options
    Morning

What: at work today but hoping to get out for a quick 6 at lunchtime

Why: too dark to run at home tonight (no streetlights!)

Last rest: yesterday
    Last hard: Weds
  • Options
    Morning all,

What: 6 miles jog done, 3 at lunchtime and another 6 tonight
    Why: recovery week
    Last hard: Sunday
    Last rest: Wednesday

Have a good one
  • Options
    Morning all

Thaw has set in. P******g down with rain. But a balmy 10 degrees. (A couple of days ago it was -7!)

So ...
    What: Pavements are going to be sheet ice, roads are clearing but still dodgy. Fell over twice yeterday in a two mile run! So another hour on turbo trainer shouting at the telly. And hopefully a swim later.
    Last hard: Wednesday for running, Thursday for turbo trainer.
    Last rest: Eight days ago

Big Tim - My record collection is locked in storage in England (sniff!)... it's mostly early/mid 1980s indie - probabaly bears a remarkable similarity to your record collection, what with us being the same age and everything.
  • Options
    BR - a very encouraging result from your Hadd test yesterday. It will be interesting to see your progress over the next couple of tests (i.e. how much was test1 result affected by Robin Hood Marathon).

It will be even more encouraging to watch the PBs tumble next year though....

• Options
    Morning All

A lot of people seem to be in recovery mode so get well soon.

what: 6 miles at easy pace
    why: long run yesterday

have a good day everybody
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

That reminds me, TT - must do a Hadd test soon. Is it realistic to do one on a measured course that isn't a running track, do you reckon?

What: 3 miles @ 80-85% WHR
    Why: My once-weekly faster session: the rest to be done at base training HR while I build mileage and extra days.
    Last hard: About a week or so ago.
    Last rest: Monday.

Ran 4 miles Tuesday (including a max HR hill test), 6 Wednesday and 6 yesterday both at BT HR. Yesterday's run was a minute faster than Wednesday's over the same route and keeping HR to below 149/150 bpm. No walking either, which is good news.
  • Options
    Morning

What: 6m fairly easy
    Why: loosener for Sunday's 10k
    Last rest: yesterday
    Last hard: 7 days

First ever 10k coming up on Sunday. Hoping to run under 43min if I can get the pacing right.

Cheers
  • Options
    Morning all,

What: ~ 5 mile steady (145 bpm)run into work
    Why: Base training/mileage building
    Last Rest: 13 days agao
    7 day cumulative mileage: ~ 42m

Good news/bad news today:

I ran home yesterday and I timed the last mile before I reached home. It came in at just under 8.5 minutes. I have now realised that running with my backpack adds about 45 seconds per mile, understandable as I weighed the pack this morning and it adds an extra 13 lbs. No wonder I feel like I'm flying at 7:45 pace at weekends. So, I've had to adjust my 'run to work route' mileages downwards which has affected the overall totals.

Good news is that I was about 1 minute faster over the 5 mile route this morning at a lower average of 143 bpm.

I think I'll hold the weekly total at around 40 for a while as I'm starting to feel a bit creaky. But as I'm half way through week 4 of BT, I'm generally happy with it.

Have a good day.
  • Options
    Morning!

What: num num num really fancy something, but shld prob rest so can do a longy over the weekend

Happy running/racing/resting/recovering everybody!
  • Options
    BodBod ✭✭✭
    Hi All,

really happy today, after knocking 3.5mins off my regular 6.5m route last night acheived partly by running it in the opposite direction, I ran it again this morning, only 8 hours later, the right way round (for me) and was slower than last night but still beat previous PB by 45secs. All of this on 14 consecutive days training!! - did you follow that?

Seems that BT'ers are starting to improve, am in week 7 of 14 in stage 1
  • Options
    Howdee troopers

Enjoyed a nice 5.6 mile steady run last night - was time pressured or would have done another lap to make it 8. For once I felt I was "bouncing" off both feet once II'd warmed up. However, my "steady" (70%whr) pace seems to have plateaued at just over 9mn/mile whilst I've been racing at about 7mn/mileover 5mile or so. Feel this is a significantly wider gap(nearly 30%) than most others doing Base or Steady training runs. Any comments?

what: about 70mins running 3min hard/3 min recovery, ie approx 800m reps but on the pavements with the stopwatch on 3 min repeats.
    why:I have a 4.5 mile trial race on Sunday so am looking at what to do tonight. so I think a little intervals is required.
    last hard day : tues
    last rest : weds

Enjoy
  • Options
    Morning all,

What: am done 5m easy, pm weights
    Why: recovery day
    Last hard: last night
    Last rest: 7 days

I probably won't have time to post tomorrow because I'm spending the day in Wigan to see the first rugby league test, Great Britain v Australia. I'm having a rest day anyway, although I can see my heart rate getting higher than it has all week.

Good luck to all weekend racers, and happy training to everyone else.
  • Options
    Oh yeah, Pink Floyd, 'Wish You Were Here'. Great tune + incomprehensible lyrics = Pink Floyd classic.
  • Options
    Hope knee settles quickly MtB.

What: We'll call it a lovely walk on a gorgeous morning. Past Cath's bit of river, and Michelle's patch. It was a kingfisher morning too, and so achingly beautiful I almost cried.

Qua run, I think the only words are, oh dear. Set off from surgery where I had been discussing strategy with my ever patient GP. Had resolved to see if my faster pace could settle for run/walk 9/1. It didn't settle for that, nor anything else, couldn't even find go-forever gear. Stopped and walked and discovered why. More or less ended up carrying left leg home in a basket. It had been (almost) ok when I left home.

Seems my hands aren't working either now.

End of experiment. Verdict: yeah, I can stumble along on half dose, but that is not good enough because I want to run. It is more important to keep the training up. Otherwise I'm going to slide into the do less - can do less spiral back into disability.

Guts are going to have to lump it.
  • Options
    Morning All

Last nights session was the first since the Dublin marathon without any knee pain, so hopefully that has all cleared up now.

What: 60 Minute Fartlek
    Why: Want to do it.

Last Hard: Dublin Marathon

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend, go out and get those PB's

LL
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    That's a real bummer, Stickless. However, with your usual determination not to quit and ever-optimistic spirit, I know you'll crack it. Again and again, if necessary.

Bod, I'm starting to see some improvement too. Ran the same 6-mile route both Wednesday and yesterday. On Wednesday it took 1:01 (10:10 min/mile) and yesterday I knocked a minute off, to finish in exactly 1:00 (10:00 min/mile). Still slow, yes - but given that my first outings at 151 bpm yielded 10:40+ minute miles and I'm now doing 10:00 minute miles on 149 bpm, this seems to me significant improvement. The 6-mile route was, however, significantly less hilly than my 3, 4 and 5 mile routes so it'll be interesting to see whether I've improved on those as well. That said, the 6-mile route does have a long, shallow incline of about 3/4 mile at the end, and I still managed to keep HR below 150 bpm on this, so ...

sfh legs, not sure why you seem to have plateaued. Could be that this happens though, and the improvement will start again soon. I'm not sure how long improvements will continue for, or how quickly. But at least I'm able to ramp up the miles with (so far) no real ill effects.
  • Options
    Stickless, hang in there.

What: nowt
    Why: Friday = rest day and I'm sh@gged out.
    Last hard run: Well my clubmate who fancied a 'steady' 8M last night had obviously eaten an entire jar of Nescafe before I turned up. Started out steady but just got quicker and quicker.
    Last rest day: Monday
  • Options
    afternoon all

keep battling Stickless - but we all know you will

what: hmmmmmm...something in excess of 10K at a decent (threshold?) pace. Exact length & intensity to be decided....

why: want (and am due) a decent quality session of this type, but unsure whether I've thrown off the remnants of whatever it was came back to bug me yesterday. Depends on how I feel when I get home.

last hard day: Tue
    last rest day: Mon
  • Options
    What: 5 miles easy with a few strides and drills.

Why: English National Cross Country Relays in Mansfield tomorrow (best cross country race of the year) I had been expecting to do the South of the Thames champs which, until this morning we had a decent team for, but now that the club won't finish a team I'd prefer to go to Mansfield and run for the B or C team.

Last hard: Tuesday

Last rest: 11 days
  • Options
    Hello all

What: might do a 3m ish run with club tonight, or might not
    Why: haven't run for a week and a half since pulling my calf muscle. It feels OK today so I'm thinking of testing it out - only worry is setting it back as it seems to be a recurring problem - although I do feel like a run....
  • Options
    Hello everyone,

What: absolutely nothing.
    Why: going to the pub straight after work, so no chance
    Last hard: yesterday at the track

Have a good weekend everyone. Haven't heard any mention of anyone racing this weekend - is everyone having a Sunday off or have I just not been reading carefully enough?
  • Options
    Did a "pantman run" today with my hrm on. 6 miles keeping my hr under 70%. It felt really, really easy. I was delighted to find that I had been doing 10 min/mile pace. This might not sound so great to some of you speedy guys, but for me, it is amazing. If I could keep this going for 13.1 miles it would knock 6 mins off my halfmarathon pb.

• Options
    Hi!

Sorry to hear that you are not well, Stickless. My best wishes to you !X

what: 1 hour easy run

Have a great weekend!
  • Options
    Sorry to hear it's gone a bit pear-shaped today, Stickless. Hope you're stronger soon.

By contrast, today I shall be mostly curled up in foetal position, whimpering. Bad day again!

Enjoy your runs.
  • Options
    what: 5m+ this am
    why: did usual 5m/50mins run, but in 40 mins by mistake, so added an extra loop. Not sure what happened there, but quite pleased! Must have been the chill factor...
  • Options
    3TL3TL ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

Realised that my 'rubbish' run on wednesday was because i was ill. Only just recovering but had a fab 3 mile run in the sun this morning. Aiming to run a 1/2M tomorrow in Richmond Park, London if I feel ok - and with weather like this I don't really mind if I have to walk the distance!! (But of course I want to run it)
  • Options
    Blowing a hooley out there.

So did an hour on the turbo trainer in front of the telly (BBC News 24 and the Extreme sports channel).

Not having had a telly for a couple of years, is it me, or has news just turned into 'infotainment' and sensationalism?

I'm going to become v. well informed or brain dead with this turbo training lark, don't know which. Hopefully with better pedalling technique though.

Hope you're recovering soon, Stickless and Swerve.