Options

Saturday 9th November

At long last I'm back into trainers. I was feeling like a caged tiger.
11 miles in the dark, and feeling like a bouncy Tigger.

Good luck to all those preparing for races. Hope your pulls & tugs get fixed soon Hilly.

Comments

• Options
    Blooming watch. Its the 8th, innit?
  • Options
    Curses! Thought I'd be first.

Good feeling, eh, Blisters!

Today I shall be (a) hung over and (b) resting up for my club five-miler on Sunday.

Have top weekends.
  • Options
    before retiring...

what: a short one - maybe fast if I feel so inclined
    why: Will be running in evening - then again Sunday morning - and will rack up (relatively) significant mileage on Sunday

last hard day: Tue
    last rest day: Mon
  • Options
    Morning all,

What: social run with friends up in London, pace/distance/route unknown!!!
    Fireworks afterwards & state of health unknown!
    Staying overnight & then the Rainforest 10K in the morning. "C" category race or less.

Why: sounds like a fun filled weekend.

Last rest: yesterday
    Last hard: the "M" 3 weeks ago.

Race & train well everybody or a speedie recovery to anybody else.

• Options
    Morning all,

What: midday 90 minutes hard cycling
    Why: Final hard effort before race next Sunday and busy watching rugby.
    Last hard: Friday
    Last rest: Wednesday

Speedy recovery to anyone struggling with injuries.
  • Options
    So I'm up early getting ready for my first ever cross country (just under 10k cross country on mixed terrain with one tough winding hill). I take 44 minutes on the roads for 10k so what's a decent target cross country, under an hour? I'll post how it went later today.
  • Options
    Morning!

what: 1) 1hr interval training

2) ...and pub run this afternoon. Pace: slow, Distance: about 6 miles or 6 pubs, Route: wobbly. Followed by fireworks...

why: 1) want to improve speed
    2) seemed like a good idea at the time

Good luck to all racers...
  • Options
    BodBod ✭✭✭
    Happy Saturday

6.5m run done incl 2.1m club handicap course done in 18:53, over a minute faster than 2 weeks ago and only went over HR limit once in last quarter and then for only 50 metres.

Feeling happy, starting to think race plans for HM next Sunday
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Morning all!

Evem on a non-running day I can't lie in bed!

WBBJ-thanks for your help. I've seen an osteopath a few years back and I too have a leg length discrepancy and like you I put an extra heel raise in my shoe of shorter leg. It does work, but thinking about it I've not changed my raise in any new shoes-might be worth doing so!! Also, need to replace 2 pairs of trainers as they're on their way out.

Good luck in your first x-country PPB. It's hard to determine a time on these kind of races, but they're great fun! Look forward to your report later.

Thanks blisters, glad you're able to get back out there!

Good running Bod!

Sounds like a good w/end BT! Good luck in 'c' race tomorrow!

what:nought
    why:injured
    last hard:Wed
    last rest:a week ago today

• Options
    Have fun Ping Pong.

Many thanks for all your encouragement. Back on the full dose, and now just have to wait for improvement, possibly delayed a tad by a pal who offered me what she thought was gluten free bread, turned out to be spelt. Delicious though!

Not running today, but will do a bit of walking, mostly just errands and the like, but enough to keep me moving.

Hilly, just hang in there. Get the best help you can for the injuries and stick to damage limitation exercise. I don't think your fitness is going to go quite down the tube in a week. This is every bit as much the tough bit as actually doing the race next Sunday.

• Options
    PPB - don't even think about a time on a x-c because

1. They're never accurately measured
    2. Conditions underfoot can vary so much
    3. Some paths are narrow and impossible to overtake.

Like hilly says just go out and enjoy the run. I like to start off quite steady and then pass people for the 2nd half.
  • Options
    What: National XC Relays, Mansfield

Why: Been selected to run in the A team with 3 superstars from the track. I am told it is a great experience like the National 12 stage relays.

Last hard: Thursday

Last rest: 15 days.

Then kids fireworks party.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Go for it BR and good luck!!
  • Options
    Good luck BR - and enjoy yourself, ppb.

I'm intending 12 slow-and easy miles today.

• Options
    Best of luck BR bring back the silverware
  • Options
    BR - Good luck in Mansfield. Could it be four superstars in your team?!

PPB - I ran a 15m x-c course one year in 2.45, about 50mins slower than I would on the road. A year later it took me 3.15 in awful weather & I finished with all the same people I'd finished with the year before. There's no way you can compare the two. Just enjoy the mud or whatever you get.

No running for me. Trip to the gym later for none impact exercise as I nurse this damaged calf.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the good wishes.

We have the guy who won silver in the World Firefighter's games in Australia in the 1500m, an England U23 800m runner and another middle distance guy who is at county level.

The only superstar missing is John Mayock, and I don't think my time will compare with his:)

I think with days like these it's the experience of seeing all the really top people in the country competing and just being part of it that counts.
  • Options
    what: 15 mins later to test calf.
    why: can't wait another day!!! advised to run gently for 2mins regardless of how it feels, then carry on (and step out a bit) for another 2 mins, where if any pain = stop. If no pain carry on upto 15 mins, if any pain = stop. either way follow up with Ice & Rest 2 days, then repeat.

Fingers crossed I will last 15 mins.

Good luck all racers, and speedy recovery all injured...

BR - ta for comments on 'achievements' thread. Unfortunately I cannot commit to having enough training time to improve to sub 3hr marathon next year - but it will happen one day...

Laters

Andy
  • Options
    Morning all

good luck BR and to anybody else racing this weekend.
    Hilly get well soon but don't push too quickly.

What: 8 miles steady
    why: long run tomorrow

have a good day everybody
  • Options
    BR have a really great time! (pun intended!)
  • Options
    Morning all,

Enjoy your races BR & PPB (and anyone else racing this weekend)
    BR - give the Windsor boys a shout for me, sounds like we might have a good chance

What: 5 miles easy
    Why: to test ankle after yesterday's mishap

Had to hobble the first mile, but after that the ankle loosened up quite nicely. All the swelling is at the top of the ankle, so doesn't affect running too much.
    Very relieved, will step back into normal training tomorrow.

Hope those with continuing problems get them resolved soon.
  • Options
    Best of luck BR + PPB and all other racers, give it hell!

Hilly, hope your injury resolves swiftly. Best wishes to all others suffering with injuries.

TT, glad to hear your ankle is ok, I had visions of Julio Rey at last Sunday's New York Marathon wen you mentioned an ankle injury.

What: 6M v. easy round Wolly Pk.
    Why: Still just inching up the mileage gently with the goal of building a decent base prior to FLM preparations.
    Last hard run: Tuesday / Thursday
    Last rest day: Friday

Will take a step back week next week after steadily building mileage last week and this week. Will do the Tuesday night club run, but may cut it a bit short or go a bit steady as want to be fresh for Brampton - Carlisle 10M in a weeks time.

Laura, what's the word? Think you'll be there?

Enjoy
  • Options
    It was cold out there today

But i managed an hours run approx 5½miles or thereabouts(a third of it was off road so hard to be exact but hey never mind)

It was good to have some of my energy back, think it helped last week by cutting back my mileage by a third(last week)
  • Options
    Afternoon all,

Just got back from the track. Had it all to myself, which is always nice. But then track running is so much easier when you've got someone to chase...

What: 8 x 800m, 200m recoveries
    Why: last minute sharpening for Brighton next week
    Last hard: Thursday
    Last rest: yesterday

Times were a bit disappointing (averaged just a bit slower than 10k pace, so should have been a good 4 seconds per lap faster). But that was because of the wind - it was ridiculously blustery up there. Almost like running hill intervals for most of the session!

Oh, and I got my first post of any substance in over two weeks today, and my Brighton number has arrived! Now that is a relief...

Good luck all racers, and hope you get better in time Hilly.

v
  • Options
    Just got in from braving the cold.

What: 7.5 miles with the middle 2.5 done at fastish pace.

Why: Getting the legs up to speed for the Wimborne 10 next week.

Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: Thursday

I'd type more but my fingers haven't thawed out yet!
  • Options
    completed my 15 minutes @ 6.35m/m pace with no sign of calf problem, so bodes well, fingers still crossed though as this was first outing.

Felt really good to open up and run after a forced layoff, although really noticed the effect this has had on my running fitness (knackered at end). Still, it is a slow road & I am now on it which is a start.

A.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Hi northern exile I'm doing Wimborne 10 next week, hopefully!

Are you a Dorset runner?
  • Options
    Evening all,

What: Nice and steady 13 miler but legs feeling tired in second half

Why: Still in recovery mode post marathon but beginning slowly to increase mielage again

It is till good temperatures here and warm enough to wear jeans and light cotton shirt in afternoon.

Simon
  • Options
    Evening all,

What: 4 miles steady @ ~145 bpm
    Why: Base training/Mileage building
    Last rest: 14 days
    Last hard: 28/9/2003
    7 day cumulative mileage: 43m

May have had a minor breakthrough today: Although I pushed it a bit more than I have been doing recently my average HR was still only 146, about 2 bpm higher than recent runs. However, the pace for today's run was 7:21/mile which is about 25 seconds per mile than it has been when running without my backpack.

Slowly, slowly catchy Monkey.

Up the Blades!

• Options
    Gym session non-impact c-v stuff done for about an hour. Made a nice change, but really struggled when exercising some of my neglected muscle groups. Really must build gym into my training routine regularly and not just use it when injured. Some positives could come from this injury after all.