Options

Gym sessions

I've just joined a gym to give my knees in particular a break from too much pounding over the winter months - anyone got a good indication of a good low -impact one hour session - I'm looking to use the cross-trainer/bike/rower & some weights & mats - but not the treadmill (why run inside?!)

Comments

• Options
    hi martin,
    wouldn't want to suggest too much as i don't know what your training programme's been like but i'm sure any good gym staff could give you a good programme using xtrainers/bike/rower.the only thing i can suggest and again i don't know how serious you take your running but even if you don't and are still looking to improve;i can suggest a good circuit that would give your joints a break but work the body quite hard while improving the running.
    one legged squats:conventional squats involve both legs and since running involves putting one leg in front of the other they are of little use except to give you big legs,this is a great exercise.step up on a bench about knee high and let your right leg hang.all the weight should be on the left.lower the right leg slowly to the ground and as it touches,drive up with the left.do 10 each leg.this mimics the action of climbing and gives the quads and glutes a good workout.
    lunges:place one foot on a step about 8inches high,step forward with the other leg so there is about a shin length between the back foot and front foot.the feet should be about hip width apart.lower the lead leg so you form a 90degree angle between the knee and lower leg.repeat 10 times on each leg.great for the hamsrtings,quads and glutes as well as balance.
    each exercise should be performed slowly and with your body upright.do 2 sets twice a wk but make sure you are warmed up and not tired before you do them.when you get stronger you can use light dumbells.it will improve your running economy no end...believe me,i've tried it.let us know how you get on