Options

I've lost all interest!!

I have been running on and off for about a year but 6 weeks ago I decided to throw myself back in to it, combined with a diet in an attempt to lose weight.
I was doing great or so I thought....up until about a week ago i was running up to 50 mins twice a week with two 30-40 min runs in between. Not bad I thought as I could only manage 15 mins 6 weeks ago.
I have also lost a stone! But the last couple of weeks I have found it so hard to run. I just cant be botherd and when I do, I find myself quitting after 20 mins. I was doing so well and now I feel really dissapointed with myself.
Whats going wrong? Can anyone help me get back out there?

Comments

• Options
    Maybe you've done too much too soon. sounds to me like you're a bit pooped!
  • Options
    Sounds like tired to me too.

Go read the daily training thread. It's very instructive following the moods and aspirations of even experienced runners. The difference is that they have made the mistakes before and are therefore quicker to realize what is going on, less likely to beat themselves up for it, more likely to take appropriate action earlier.

We tend to assume that progress can be maintained. It can't. It's a series of ups and downs. Don't fight it.

One thing that I've found helps. When one routine even thinks of going stale, try another. Were you working on long slow runs? Find a hill. Were you running faster and faster? Study slow for a while. Run somewhere different.

Leave the watch at home and do not calculate the mileage. Enjoy the scenery for a while.

But before all that, lock your trainers away for a week.
  • Options
    you probably are tired and lacking energy if you are dieting as well.

i have been very strict with my diet for 2 years - not eating dairy, limiting carbs, no chocolate etc, but i was exercising very intensely.

over the past few weeks however, following a doctors advice, i am eating everything in sight. and guess what? exercising and running especsially is much more fun and enjoyable and not a chore at all.

so my advice would be to eat what you want and you will find that you WANT to run!

good luck
  • Options
    I have always said forget DIETS, eat what you want when you want. BUT and this is a big BUT when out training ensure you do this when you know you have a good healthy meal a couple of hours before hand. Also eat a small but healthy carb meal after your exercise. You might think that you will put on weight but you will be surprised the more you eat the more I have found I want to run, so you end up burning more fuel off. That is where the small carb meal after exercise comes in it refuels the vitals in the body and also gets rid of the craving for food after exercising. Then you just can carry on eating what you would normally.

Good Luck and have a hearty meal and good running