Options

Two marathons in three weeks.... mini training plan

London this weekend, followed by Halstead on 12th May.....

My target has always been London so all being well I'll be looking to post a (relatively) good time there, however as much as I appreciate I won't run as quickly at Halstead, (if nothing else because the course isn't as flat!) what would you do training-wise in the three weeks between?

Just easy runs during the week with a bit more distance at the weekend? Is there any benefit from running at MP or doing any effort/speed sessions? I'm guessing not as I can't imagine anything done in the three weeks will increase my fitness; Is it more a case of doing stuff to aid recovery?

Any comments/experiences gratefully received....

Comments

• Options
    Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

I can't imagine you can do much in the three weeks between - as you are planning tohit it hard in London, it will just be about recovery, maybe take a few days off, light jogging for the wek after London then go back into the taper weeks in the last two weeks up to Halstead.

Good luck

• Options
    Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

I have got through a shorter period by:

- lots of walking about first few days, then
    - start some light cross training when you feel ready (swim,bike,row), then
    - move on to some short jogs / recovery runs towards the end of week 1.

I would not touch speed work early on as your muscles are probably still shredded and under repair from the first race. At some point in week 2 I will start doing some short marathon paced runs in the middle of some easy runs.

Priority for me would be 1) Recovery, then 2) Hanging on to the fitness I have. Maybe play it by ear to see how comfortable you are in week 3 for strides or even a couple of miles or three tempo.

• Options

Hi Big Bertie and good luck for Sunday. I am no pro (see my blogs for advise from real pro's) but having just done the Brighton Marathon on Sunday and doing London this week I can give a bit of a perspective on my recovery (though a week between)...

1) Compression socks worn most of the week - really helped and put on as soon as finished Brighton.

2) Have been walking loads especially first two days - not really seen the point in running as my walking has got the aches out

3) Milkshake, sports drinks, and crisps straight after finishing

4) Rested today / Sat.

5) If I had a similar break as yours I would def do some shorter runs but at a slow MP.

Good luck with London I am sure you will smash both!!