Options

Returning to running after injury

I tore my left gastronemius and soleus in April last year. I was on crutches for four weeks and I have managed just about to return to normal a year down the line after building up my muscle strength (gradually) with physio, swimming, walking, yoga and more physio. I have not attempted to run again yet but I am keen to get back into it and I would like to complete a 10k by the end of this year.

I started running in my early 20's (I'm not 35) and I have had an on/off relationship with it since my initial introduction. I prefer treadmill running and I acknowledge that this would be the best option for me at this moment in time, as I will be able to build the incline up and for safety reasons/risk of reoccuring injury I do not feel I can go out alone yet.

Does anyone have any advice? I would make sure I complete my stretches before and after any running, in fact I'll be doing them daily as I'm so scared of it happening again.  How often should I train, for how long and what intensty? And when should I stop?

I'm also trying to eat well at the moment and take better care of myself. I have gained about 2 stones in this last year and I am aware of the impact this could have on any training program. But in regards to injury prevention, are there things I should avoid or make sure I eat?

Thanks in advance for an advice image