Options

Advice on a bike

I don't have a bike - but I am thinking of getting one for doing a bit of training on and mapping out distances for runs.

Not sure what sort of bike would be best though. Would anyone have any suggestions? I don't really want to be spending a fortune on a bike which I might only ride a couple of times a month and maybe for doing a bit of trainging or rest days from running.

Does anyone have any suggestions about using training on a bike in addition to running. Does it help? I am currently training for the marathon - and am putting in large miles of running, but not much else.

Any advice would be useful.

Thanks,

Mike

Comments

• Options
    Mike - I use a bike quite a bit, in fact I have two, a road sports bike (racer but I don't race it) and an off-road bike (mountain bike but I don't do mountains).

I use the second for general pottering about and the first for more serious stuff and either for measuring routes.

If you've a decent bike shop nearby you'll probably find they have some pretty decent second hand specimens. That's the way I acquired both of mine. The mountain bike is a solid frame version that I got for £70, you don't really need the fully sprung sort unless you're really keen on the rough stuff. These days they all come with more gears than you can use. The bike shop should be able to advise what's best for your requirements.

Get a bike computer for it and you're all set up for measuring anything where you can ride or push it. The computers come in a range of prices but you can find something quite adequate for under £20.

As far as the cross training aspect is concerned I've been told it's good to ride but I'm no expert on training theory. I do know from experience that cycling uses the muscles differently from running because when I had a damaged calf muscle earlier in the year I could still ride quite happily without pain. I could walk too but running was a definite nono.

Hope this helps.

_W
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice.

I will look out for a bike shop.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Really it depends on your budget and what kind of riding you intend to do. Personally if I wanted to get one bike to get a few miles in and do a few cycle paths/tracks but wasn't interested in doing anything else I'd look for a flat bar bike with a double chainset geared a bit lower than your average road bike and with clearance for reasonable width tyres and mudguards. At the cheaper end of the market I'd go for aluminium and a comfortable saddle.

If I wanted to stay on roads and was looking to do mainly fitness cycling I might look at a road bike - something like the bottom of the range Trek for about £450 if you shop around, or a Dawes or something. There are many bargains around at the moment don't pay full price on anything.

I wouldn't buy a mountain bike unless I wanted to do a lot of muddy stuff - and cheap ones weigh a lot - as Walkman says for most people the suspension is energy sapping with no real benefit.