Options

So, just to be clear...

124»

Comments

• Options
    Run Wales wrote (see)

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit... but on Garmin Connect, I created a route I want to run.  I can see that there's a facility to upload the route to a device.

I can read the documentation (but I rarely find that's very clear)...  but can anyone tell me if the watch actually guides me?  I can see that there are some awkward junctions where it would be easy to go wrong.   It's an old Garmin 205...  and I can see one of the screens shows a 'compass arrow' type thing.

Cheers

you need to save it or convert it to a CRS (garmin course) and use the Garmin Training centre to send it to your watch,

then in the watch find courses, DO COURSE, you'll get a map page which is very basic, like this

http://www.tramsoft.ch/gps/screenshots/garmin/forerunner910xt/garmin_forerunner910xt_map_en.jpg

you can zoom in and out using the up and down arrow keys, its basic but good enough to follow a route, 

• Options
    Dustin wrote (see)

Rick - I couldn't find Ken on the Power of 10, but Kevin's HM time looks legit.

SR - with VLM there is a huge queue to get in, plus the facility to defer, should swapping of numbers (and across gender) be allowed?
    I agree that smaller races should (and could) do more to facilitate number exchange.
    I notice the Welsh Trail Marathon (June) is full, but is now operating a 'transfer window', makes sense to me.

Welsh Trail Marathon had fantastic organisation last year, I'm not surprised they have taken the initiative to open up a transfer window.

I take your point about VLM (which I think would lead to touts buying up numbers and selling them on) but maybe they could have a cut off date whereby you can get a refund on your entry and they all get resold on a certain date (early December)? If Glastonbury can organise that, I don't see why VLM can't.  

Then again, VLM is so over-subscribed they don't need to make it easier for people to enter or get value for money image

• Options
    Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

Brilliant... thanks for your answers.

I hadn't meant to hijack THIS thread... I was attempting to post on one about Garmin Connect software  image

• Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭

I'll confess to not knowing the numbers, but I imagine VLM allow more entries knowing there is a sizeable drop out rate. If there was a transfer process, then ballot entries would be capped lower.
    Even club entries (for 2013 race) had a cut off as last November for changing the names. Sod's law that 2 of our 3 runners were injured at the start of this year, so despite a healthy number of club colleagues who would happily take the places, they were instead deferred. Hence the question that, for London, is swapping not really on?

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I think swapping is not on if people use it to win something or get a GFA place for someone else; that's cheating. I think some people swap numbers so they can be on the same start as their friends, which I wouldn't do myself (sod my friends, I'm going to run as fast as I can) but wouldn't class as actual cheating.

• Options

That's how I read the VLM as well.

I seem to remember seeing somewhere that they issue 42,000 places knowing that the final field will be about 36, 000.

I'm also guessing that, given the size of the event, it is easier to operate a deferall process than a transfer system. 

• Options
    I would suggest that big races could re-fund numbers and re-allocate them with a charge for admin so they wouldn't lose out with a cut off time before the New Year. A win/win situation.
  • Options
    Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
    I would suggest that big races could re-fund numbers and re-allocate them with a charge for admin so they wouldn't lose out with a cut off time before the New Year. A win/win situation.

I agree but I get the feeling the VLM operates with a skeleton staff most of the year and wouldn't have the resource to do it. I'm pretty sure it's the same with other big races too.

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

How do Glastonbury organise ticket reallocation?  Outsourced to a ticketing agency presumably?  I know "it's their race and they can do what they like" but it doesn't seem such a bad idea to have a similar process.

• Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭

But VLM probably don't want 45,000 running, they like the x% drop out

• Options

Exactly. 

If they only allocate 36,000 ballot places they'll still get a percentage drop out and there will have been 7,000 or so people who never got in in the first place.

• Options
    PhilPub wrote (see)

How do Glastonbury organise ticket reallocation?  Outsourced to a ticketing agency presumably?  I know "it's their race and they can do what they like" but it doesn't seem such a bad idea to have a similar process.

Thinking back to the last time I went (in 2009), I think they do all the ticketing through an agency.

They get people to sign up with a £50 deposit in October and give them a deadline to pay the balance, if they don't pay by that date then the tickets are put back into the pot and they have a one day first-come-first-served sale a month or so later (I think it's usually beginning of April). But I think they keep the deposit money if you decide you don't want to go or don't pay in time.

I like Sussex Runner's idea of having a cut off date at beginning of January for people who want to transfer and then holding a second sale shortly afterwards, which would give people who just can't be arsed to run a way to get their money back, and people who get in during the January Sale enough training time.

• Options
    Well said DF3. I'm sick of the all that they can do what they like crap too. People keep saying that in response to the Brighton price hike. Well the organisers are in my city, with permission from the council who I voted in, with the volunteers from MY community, closing the streets I pay to maintain etc...
  • Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭

The Manchester Two?

Stuart Hall and Ken Barlow?

• Options
    VLM allow for so many no shows and deferrals.

If they allowed transfers then they would get minimal deferrals and minimal no shows.

The infrastructure can only cope with X numbers.

That's the amount that run now.

If this wasn't the number then VLM would allow more people in.

If they were to allow transfers then they'd have to build this into their entries - so instead of a field of 35k and 5k not turning up say - they'd only allow 30k to enter.

So even less chance of getting in.
  • Options
    David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

""it's their race and they can do what they like"

This is such a bulls.it argument. It may be their race, but its not THEIR London. If the organisers dont do things properly it would be very easy to take it off them, and then they are free to run their race in Slough ...... lets see where that gets them. The race is only famous because its in London. Take it away and lets see how many dedicated sponser raisers who want to run a marathon show up. Bugger all thats how many.

So this whole 'Oh we must get down on our hands and knees and thank them forever' business .......... sheesh .........

Who do you suggest "we" give it to though? That tw*t that runs the British 10K? I'd like to see that, can you imagine the chaos?

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

DF3 - Also, I thought London was a shithole full of crooks.  Why the fuck would you want to run through it anyway?

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Maybe just run the second half then DF3?

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

I know someone who house shares with 3 other people who are all the same gender and roughly the same age.  The housemates have no desire at all to run VLM, but for 2013 they entered the ballot with the knowledge that if one of them got a place they'd pass it on to the person who wanted to run....  I frowned and said politely that she shouldn't do that, but she shrugged her shoulders and ran as someone else anyway.

• Options

I have a friend who had a GFA place and gave it away to someone else.

I quite like the fact that this time now appears on his Powerof 10 stats.image

• Options
    Skotty wrote " The Manchester 2? Ken Barlowe and Kevin Webster?" Brilliantly funny.

Can't understand why it wasn't funny at all when Rickster said it.
  • Options
    Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
    Skotty wrote " The Manchester 2? Ken Barlowe and Kevin Webster?" Brilliantly funny.

Can't understand why it wasn't funny at all when Rickster said it.

Trolling again Sussex Runner? Very mature of you.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Poor Rickster. Always the bridesmaid...

• Options
    What's he bleating on about Stevie?