Options

Losing my (running) mojo

Have notices in my last couple of runs that I seem to have moved backwards in terms of my speed per effort level.

For example my most common route is a hilly 7 mile loop from my home. A month ago pushing hard I could consistently do this in 54 minutes.

However following a cold (during which I ran very gently) in the last two weeks the same level of effort (as revealed by my HRM) sees me round in 57 minutes…

What is wrong with me? I keep hoping when I hot my splits that I’ll be back to my previous times but it doesn’t seem to be happening.

Could my body still have a residue of cold virus it’s fighting (if that makes any sense!), could it be that I subconsciously slow now I’m running in the dark and am dodging piles of leaves, could it be that I’m wearing more gear to counter the cold or have I just lost my mojoj?

Help please!!

<Sobs into his training log>

Comments

• Options
    Neil,

I'm no expert but it could easily be a combination of any of those things..viruses can really take it out of you and it might take some weeks to get back to where you were..underfoot conditions and different running gear I am sure can also have an effect.

Go easy on yourself and build back up to where you were..I suspect running under pressure doesn't always help either..
  • Options
    Neil,

I agree with Ratbag. I'm going through something very similar, and round about this time of year it always seems to happen.
    4 weeks ago, I was absolutely flying and came close to setting a PB in a 10K race on a very tough course. Since then, however, I've also had a persistent bug, an equally persistent knee niggle, and had to get used to running in the dark once more (the latter really seems to have been more difficult to get used to this year). At the moment my performance is well down on where it was a month back.
    I had a similar run to you on Tuesday - a hilly 7.3 miler, which at the start of October I did in 45:47. This time, I was exactly 2 minutes slower, and at an average HR of 3 bpm higher.
    Can't do anything about avoiding dark nights, or winter bugs, unfortunately. One thing you can do is, as Ratbag suggests, try not to let a decline in performance put you under pressure and affect your running to a point where a vicious circle develops - you set off on a run expecting to hit a certain pace for a certain effort level - you don't hit it, and end up straining to try to do so. Result - even worse performance (or same performance, but at an astronomical average HR). I've been there.
    Easier said than done (and I'll find it hard enough to do tomorrow) - but maybe on your next few runs you could try to avoid looking at your HRM as much as possible, judge your effort entirely by "feel", and not be too worried at what time you do it in?
  • Options
    Agree with Mike.

Just go out on some runs, no watch, no hrm, just run for the fun of it.

Alternatively radical solution is don't run at all. No exercise. Eat loads etc.

See how soon you want to get back to running using that approach.
  • Options
    You probably still have a slightly lowered VO max. Just relax and take advantage of this time by lengthening your runs to build stamina.
    After another week or two you should be fine.
    Also, don't forget that training is about periodising (spelling?).

You can't simply run as hard all the time all your round. Maybe you need a break, different route, different routine to break up some staleness?

Henk
  • Options
    Henk, be interesting to see you on the daily training thread - see what sort of training you put in for an ultra.
  • Options
    Change is as good as a rest.Take some time out, walk around, lokk at the trees - all that sort of stuff.

Because I don't have a 9-5 job as such my running routine is quite important to me. I try to take a week out in every 10 or so and just chill.

• Options

I know I'm going through a bad patch, but also know I will get through it. I'm struggling to get my HR up to 160 average on runs, whereas a few months ago, 165 wasn't unheard of on certain routes. Its winter, which always lows you down a bit, my back is playing me up and I'm racing XC quite hard, making me struggle in the week. However, I know that come Next year I should have a bit more depth to my running. My next week plan is to run without my HRM or Bodylink for a few days to chill out.

djb
  • Options
    Nice to see im not the only one with this problem!! Did a race the other day and put 50 secs on my PB despite training better or so I thought. Felt like my feet were stuck in glue, this put me on a downer for a few days and everytime I looked at my training shoes felt like throwing them out of the window!! But im made of sterner stuff and have decided just to give my routine a bit of a shake up and carry on fighting another day!. Hope you manage to over come this niel.:-)
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    I've had to grapple with the fear of losing speed since I started base training. At first I found it really hard to leave my ego at home and plod around the streets rather than run quite hard. I realised I previously ran hard on every run (so much so that I would often stop once or twice for a quick 'breather' - stopping the watch so this wasn't included in my total run time!) Running by HR has forced me to slow down. I think I would have done so a bit naturally if only from the point of view of safety: it's much harder running in the dark to see where you're putting your feet, and deep piles of leaves don't help identify where those nasty bits of uneven pavement are lurking!

As others have said, don't worry too much about your loss of speed. Slow down on a couple of your runs and do them purely for enjoyment - no pressure. Then you'll probably find that you can put greater effort into your harder runs and reap the benefits. I don't think anyone can run consistently hard indefinitely and continue to show improvement.
  • Options
    sven27sven27 ✭✭✭
    Dont judge yourself on your last couple of runs, take a look at the long term. Remember when training its about building layers. Its the sum of the whole of your training that counts. You cant expect to run a pb session each time.
    Running in the winter always is slower ie wind, cold, extra layers, dark, takes longer to warm up etc.
  • Options
    I'll just add my little piece of advice...
    During winter time i'm trying to eat better and bigger portions of food (especially when it's getting very cold) and i always reward myself with pieces of chocolate (bar or drink) after cold night runs.

I try to remember when i'm not well that i run because i want to feel free, not to become the "best" ... ;-))

• Options
    Hey Popsider,
    Yeah be happy to give my input on issues.
    Not sure how valuable it would be but we can try....

Happy trails.

Henk
  • Options
    4 weeks ago I was flying. 3 weeks ago I ran the Beachy Head marathon. For the next 2 weeks my normal run into work of 3.5 miles was a good 30 secs slower than before for similar effort. My moral started to slump. For the last 7 days work dictated that I did no running at all. Yesterday I ran into work and was flying - a PB of 15 secs per mile faster than ever before. You may just need a week off - it worked for me!
  • Options
    Many thanks for everyone's advice. It's good to know that I'm not the only one going throught this dip in form.

I've tried to be pragmatic because ultimately I know that a hard run that takes 57 minutes is doing me just as much good as a hard run that takes 54.

Haven't replied earlier as I've been away for a few days in Cornwall. If you ever go to Padstow or Wadebridge thoroughly recommend the cycle path linking the two. Enjoyed some beautiful estuary views a spectacular sunset and some bracing winds.

Made me realise that even if for some mystery reason I've slowed up I still love running... (will also hopefully get back to previous pace some time!!)
  • Options
    Think it must have been lingering virus, after some enjoyable scenic and low intensity long runs with Mrs H, went for a burn last night and made it in 54 mins 37

2.5 mins quicker at the same intensity.

Hang in there Mike S!