Options

Hypothyroidism

2»

Comments

• Options

Peter - it may be that you aren't on a high enough dose as yet, you need to get tested so that it can be adjusted if necessary.

That's good Steady - I'm afraid my dose has only ever gone up.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options

Peter, from what I know, it takes about 3-4 weeks for your levels to stabilise out and you have a blood teat every 6 weeks which they use to decide whether to up the dose or not. 

DO NOT take more than is prescribed. There are serious warnings and it can take 2-3 weeks for an overdose to become apparent, you slip into a coma and die. Hmmmm. 

• Options
    Just another update for anyone affected.

6weeks in I had another blood test. Now up to 50ug. I'm feeling a lot less tired.
  • Options

Glad you're beginning to feel better Tim.

• Options
    I don't think I realised how tired I was. Just thought it was the running and 'normal'.
  • Options

I am fed up with the reduction of my meds, the symptoms of tiredness,weight gain,constipation and dry skin has returned. The dose was only down by 25mcg. I will ring the doctors for a blood test in the new year. I have found taking it in the evening much better as I even find that I am wide awake once the alarm goes off, so morning training sessions are feeling better.

• Options

It can be a difficult balancing act Steady. I know that to feel well I need to keep my TSH lower than the doctors would usually medicate to but I'm fortunate as my GP treats me according to how I feel rather than the numbers. Hope you can get sorted.

• Options

I take 125mcg a day and have done for some time. Never felt that my running and other training has suffered because of my low thyroid. Usually have people ask me where I get my energy from as I am always on the go. To be honest, I use my hair as my guide, I lose more if my dose is too low. I was always told to take my dose first thing on an empty stomach and that works for me.    

• Options

I think that some of my problems maybe down to fluctuating menopausal hormones, which in turn are affecting the thyroid or the other way round.

• Options

Find this thread fascinating. I am hyper (untreated as yet - awaiting thyroid clinic appt). Being hyper does not give you an advantage in running as the body is being driven into a catabolic state so muscles get weaker. My running is currently suffering and I find I am having to walk during runs due to muscle fatigue. Interesting comment about menopause SteadyCJ as I am in the same state. Also found the comment about hard training causing TSH suppression interesting - wonder if that has happened to me this year (training stepped up significantly but not anything like Little M.iss Happy,s is when she gets TSH suppression).

• Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

only just saw this thread. am hypothyroid and have run 9 miles over the last 13 years. I have never varied my throxine according to my acticity levels and have never been advised to do so - and I have discussed this at length with my endocrinologist.

Seems very dangerous advice to have given?

• Options

Now on propranolol for increased heart rate for the last week (it has had more effect on my sweats - reduced in frequency and severity) but have noticed I am now also out of breath on runs (well walk/runs actually as not able to run continuously for 3 miles at the moment). Frustrating as I was doung 10+ mile long runs in March. I know I need to be patient and adopt a reduced training (walk/run) schedule for now but finding this really annoying. Will try running to heart rate as well and see if that helps. Have four Jane Tomlinson runs booked over the Summer and thinking of entering the Nottingham half in September - if I can get some fitness back!

• Options

Hi all, just jumping in briefly here. Hope you are all doing ok.

SL - keep at it, you will get there and patience is key. I know how frustrating it is to go from a very good level of fitness to having to adopt a walk/jog approach. Hope you get on ok at the thyroid clinic & you arent waiting to get an appt for to long.

I'm now hypothyroid following some RAI treatment for Grave's disease.

Have been on Thyroxine for 5 weeks. Little improvement in weight gain - clothes feel quite tight. Running wise I can plod quite happily for 5-6 miles but speedwork is out of the question due to heavy legged feeling.

One question for the ladies - can hypothyroidism affect your menstrual cycle?? I've had nothing in that respect since December....am getting worried. I'm 33 so too young for the menopause I hope....Had RAI treatment end of Jan 2014.

Also is general 'soreness' common when hypo? I mean sore legs after walking, getting v mild stomach, chest & breast pain too. (Got IBS, so it may be this?)

Any advice on this appreciated! Docs appt booked, but they cant fit me in until mid june

Thanks all image

• Options
    Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    Patient.co.uk says yes. Although I've been fairly a symptomatic apart from the tiredness. Oh, and being a man and bald some of the symptoms wouldn't affect me anywayimage

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/hypothyroidism-underactive-thyroid-leaflet
  • Options

LTS - can't help with the menstrual cycle question as I've always been on the pill but as for the soreness, oh yes definitely. Aching joints and muscles and a sore tongue are common for me. Have your iron levels been checked? I have a different (to my thyroid symptoms) heavy legged and breathlessness when mine are low.

• Options

Cheers both. Have had iron levels checked about 12 months ago & all was fine.

LMH - sore tongue?? That sounds unpleasant! image

I almost dropped out of a race yesterday (entered it on a whim as it was local & a nice evening). Felt tired, v breathless & legs like lead, so at 1 mile I stopped to walk back to the start....but on seeing some friends pass me they encouraged me to continue with them...running & talking made the miles go by quicker....anyway I've decided I'm in no shape to race at the moment so will continue just enjoying running steady pace until the hypo is sorted.

I'm worried there may be something wrong with my menstrual cycle so my docs appt in june couldnt come quick enough!

I wonder if I should phone my consultant's secretary to see if this is something they can advise about? My 'RAI' treatment brouchure never mentioned anything about this.

How are you all getting on?

Sue L - how are you getting on with the Propanolol?