Options

So, the kids want a dog...

Comments

• Options

A dog is for life. The enthusiasm of kids can evaporate quite quickly. Which is why parenting involves a lot of cleaning out animal cages.

• Options
    Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

I was bitten by one when I was 3. Put me in hospital. Have scar to prove. On my face.

• Options
    Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

That's unfair of me. I'm sure gsd's generally make great pts and that they're very clever,but having had that experience, not with my kids

• Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

Based on experience get a dog that in unlikely to be dog aggressive, is unlikely to bark at every person that walks past your house and doesn't require several times the amount of exercise you have  the time, energy or inclination to give it.    

• Options
    kittenkat wrote (see)

Co-incidentally, I went into a well know pet store chain today to try and find supplements for Cole and his premature joint problems. There was a whole isle dedicated to clothing for dogs, mainly the little armpit hair type. Bright pink 'Little Princess' dog clothes. Oh and there's powder blue for the male eyebrows.

Please someone be brave enough to argue for this stuff? Because if they sell it, someone obviously buys it.

I nearly got me a ban from Pets At Home over the 'clothes for dogs' aisle, did get a slap from my OH though. Clothes for dogs is wrong wrong wrong ... and don't even get me started on bandanas for dogs !!!!

With regard dog types, we have two Northern Idiots, and they don't shed hair at all, no honest, not a single one, ever !!

Temperament wise and for family doggy I don't think you would go far wrong with a retriever (similar to the lab in many ways, but much nicer looking - in my opinion) ... our flat-coat was simply brilliant, bullet proof with the kids when they were growing up, would run all day if you wanted, and perfectly happy in her own company if she was needed to be left during the day. Lovely lovely dogs.

• Options
    Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

Hmmm... flat retriever. They are nice, aren't they?

I had two rabbits, one of which was eaten by a fox, we presume. (Found a foot). The other has been happily living in and around our house and garden for the past 3 years.

Anyway, when I was in pets at home and told them about the tragic death of said bunny, which I wanted as a replacement to mollify my very upset son, they informed me that they were not willing to sell me a rabbit 'under the circumstances'.

S'funny, they make a big song and dance about loving pets, but they know fuck all about animals.

• Options

Snap - biased? Me? Why, how could you think such a thing? Just because our dogs since 1985 have all been GSDs or Whites......

• Options
    Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

Honestly, nothing I like better than a balanced point of view.image (Not sure the winky face was necessary but there you go).

I do wish my experiences hadn't shaped my opinions thus, but them's the breaks.

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

+1 for Chocolate Lab.

Mine is lovely.  She's nearly six now got a few gray hairs, would plod along walking non stop for hours, equally at home curled up on the sofa snoozing. 

We live by a canal and most days she swims for at least half a mile along the canal.  OH wanted her, I was not keen, but they do grow on you :0 

I even put up with having a permenantly runny nose as i'm allergic to her, and nothing seems to stop my nose running (sorry TMI).

• Options

You mentioned a standard poodle earlier - no idea what they're like for running, but poodle hair/fleece tends to be a bit easier on those that suffer from allergies. A poodle/collie cross might be worth looking at if allergies are an issue.

• Options
    Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

I think they tend to be pretty fit dogs and they're a nice size. I did look into labradoodles but then you get into a whole thing about what type you need, and apparently it woul dneed to be an F4 (an F1 is just so last week) and pups are about £1200. Ouch. My boss has one. Lovely dog. Big though.

• Options
    Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭
  • Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Mine costs £75 per month for food (crunchies, plus dentastix, plus a cow ear a day) and insurance.

• Options
    Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

that much? How much is your insurance?

• Options
    Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

if its not a rude q.

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

£20 hunted around was more last year.

£33 for main food £7 for dentastix and £15 for pigs ears (and couple of bones as treats) 

total £75 pm

• Options
    Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

What about clothing? image

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

actually good point a couple of collars a yearimage

d'oh I said pigs ear, meant cows earimage cheaper and bigger, way better value!!

• Options

bk, don't get me started on pigs ears ... ours are absolutely besotted by them ... to the extent that Echo know's where they are kept and will often just sit by the cupboard staring at it until someone gives in !

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Bruce: ours has her ear each evening around 8 PM and seriously if 8:30 comes and she hasn't had it she sits in front of my OH or myself and politely reminds us that we have forgotten. Usually with a thwap from a big paw!

• Options
    FrazerelliFrazerelli ✭✭✭

Ah the joys of a nice big ear. Ever given them a pig's trotter ? Takes them about a week to get through them but results in utter delight

• Options
    Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

and makes great jelly for homemade pork pies. Yum!

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Fraserelli..... your kidding... 5 / 7 minutes max for a full trotter... left with a few small bits of bone in a pile... Do you have a minature dog?

My lab is the big, chunky style lab, and she wouldn't take a week to eat a whole cow never mind a pigs trotter.

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    booktrunk wrote (see)

£20 hunted around was more last year.

£33 for main food £7 for dentastix and £15 for pigs ears (and couple of bones as treats) 

total £75 pm

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Wilkie: then once a year she needs her jabs..

Oh and her pet passport cost around £200 and she needs a rabies jab for that each year, don't get me started....

Imagine the amount of trainers, n ultra light t-shirts i could be wasting that money on instead... Heck could treat myself to a cambelbak in case they are useful... Sigh.....

Chickens are far cheaper, get them some chickens instead Snap

• Options
    booktrunk wrote (see)

Chickens are far cheaper, get them some chickens instead Snap

Tell them it's a hairless arctic chicken, keep it in the freezer.

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Sounds like dogs are more expensive than kids!

• Options
    FrazerelliFrazerelli ✭✭✭

Booktrunk ! Lol - our biggest shepherd weighs 52 kg. They're very distracted eaters obviously !

Labs are gobbling machines in comparison