Options

Treadmill vs Outside Running?

AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

I am a fairly new runner and had been working on the assumption that doing the majority of my workouts on the treadmill would be beneficial as it must be less damaging to joints, shins etc

Obviously I appreciate that if you are training for a race you need to practice running outside too.

It appears from lookng at threads started or commented on by what seem to be serious runners, they seem to do all their sessions outside, which would suggest that treadmill training isn't actually that useful.

What are people's opinions?

Comments

• Options

It's usefull but it is completely different to runing outside. I used to be a big treadmill runner but now i swear by runing out doors. 

My quads ache when running outside and today in the gym my calfs really hurt after 5 mins on the treadmill ( i've completely removed the 'mill from my wok out normally). It  feeels completely different.

it is lower impact but it isn't anything like road or trail running.

• Options
    I set the treadmill at 1% incline and it feels pretty similar to running outside.

I like speed work on a treadmill and then I do the rest of the runs outside. It always feels good to get some fresh air.

I believe the first lady to win the London marathon did almost all of her runs on a treadmill due to the snows in Denmark - so its not essential to run outside.
  • Options
    Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

I enjoy a mix of outdoor (road and trail) and indoor running. They both have there place in my training, and my last marathon campaign (my most successful) included a significant amount of treadmill running.

Coughie mentioned the 1% incline. This is to compensate for the wind resistance that you won't experience indoors. The 1% incline is said to approximate  the 7 percent energy cost you usually use to overcome air resistance.

Biomechanics are slightly different on a treadmill, so it is definitely worth running outdoors and on the surface you will race on. I'm not keen on running all my miles on tarmac, and use trails and treadmills for most. I turned to treadmills at the end of last year due to shin splints

You will develop more ankle strength on uneven / soft surfaces - I tend to include a good proportion of trail / cross country. You won't get this on the treadmill where the footplant is the same, stride after stride.

You can be really creative with your workouts on a treadmill. A lot of people struggle with the boredom, but a decent session should overcome that. Intervals, tempo runs and hill repeats are my main sessions on the treadmill. I've done the occassional 20miler due to circumstances. The treadmills at my gym can be programmed in advance at home, and then your session loaded up. This takes all the faffing about with speeds, inclines and timing out of the equation (and you just run what you are told to image)

• Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Yes I have already noticed that doing hill/interval training on the treadmill can lead some frantic button pressing at various times of the workout!image Unfortunately the gym I go to doesn't have as sofisticated treadmills as yours must do!

I will take the 1% incline point on board and start to introduce it to my treadmill workouts.

I currently do 3 sessions a week - 2 in the gym (one tempo run and one interval or hill session) and 1 long run outdoors. If I feel I have the time (or energy) I also add in an extra easy run (usually on the treadmill but sometimes outside) per week.

I have my first 10k in 2 months time and am currently only managing workouts of up about 25 mins in duration but am increasing these incrementally in accordance with a beginners 10k plan I got online (think it might be the Hal Higdon one).

So very much first steps - all advice is welcome, so thank you to those who replied!

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

My guess is that experienced runners gravitate more towards outdoor running as opposed to treadmill running simply because it's more interesting. The treadmill's fine for a 20 minute session in the gym but once you're used to getting up to an hour or more it gets pretty mind-numbing.  I'm no biomechanical expert but I don't think there is that much difference between the two, so essentially the best type of running to do is the one that you're most likely to do more of and stick with.

• Options
    Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

My favourite bit of Research that  I read on the biomechanical difference between normal and treadmill running was by Wank et al . I don't have a link to the full paper, but for a quick Wank see:

http://runnersconnect.net/running-training-articles/treadmill-running-easier/

• Options

the other problem of running on a treadmill in an average gym is the heat.  my gym temperature is set at 19 degrees.  Plus the aircon isn't that great.  i feel this most when do speed seesions on the mill.  long rund are problematic, my longest run on a mill was 13 miles and there was a veritable lake of sweat around the equipment.

• Options

Being removed from any kind of club structure for the last few years, I use treadmills a fair bit now for faster sessions.  I like that they keep me honest on pace, and allow sessions I would struggle to do outside on my own in the dark. I also like the softer surface for my old legs. It is clearly different but I wouldnt worry about any negatives on this, at least until you get as quick as PhilPub. 

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

I'm not a fan of the treadmill, but I use it as part of a cross training session daft as it sounds. I do the same hill program after rowing, a light circuit and then follow it with a session on the x-trainer. I extend the length when it has become comfortable over a few weeks.

I think it can be just as hard on the joints as road running, perhaps worse as there is no lateral movement in the legs to spread the load, just bang bang on the same points each stride.

I don't count these miles in my total, and tbh I don't consider it a run, I just see it as going to the gym.

Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy it, i feel fantastic afterwards, and it is a massive contribution to my race fitness, but it's just not the same as running outdoors.

• Options

i hate the feeling of having  to concentrate on my stride. i'm much happier on the stepper, rower and bike.