Options

How much do you run?

2»

Comments

• Options
    loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭

imageohhhhhh Cragc , how i know that feeling lolimage

thats kinda how mine goes too, have it all planned out in your head then something school/child wise goes topsy turvey and  the master plan all starts to disintergrate image

hey ho, we do what we do and wing the rest to the finish !image

• Options

Vicar - the first 100 miler was in 2008 (well that was 150k / 9000m climbing - 'Grand Raid de la Reunion' - in at the deep end, that was the first time I'd run longer than a marathon) Finished 168 out of 1400 finishers, 2500 starters. That's a run I'd really recommend by the way if you are looking for something a bit unusual.

Next up was the K78 Swiss Alpine in 2009, then a short break while I worked out how to juggle running / working / being a dad - ran marathons and shorter between 2010 - 2012, last marathon was 2012 (London) in 2 hours 50, then did the UTSW100 in June last year in just under 25 hours (11th overall - so actually that's top 10% of starters but not finishers due to the high DNF rate!), TDS is next at the end of next month. I'll report back as to how that goes...age 36 now. 

My mileage does vary a lot - last week was 60 miles, this week I'll be lucky to get close to 30. As others have written it depends a lot on what else is going on in life.

• Options

Cheers for that LR

I have to admit the UTSW100 does look like good fun. I live in Somerset so its moderatley local but I watched a few clips on youtube and it looks a bit killer.

So you went from marathon to 100?? Were you readily running marathons for quite a long time before the 100 miler?

• Options

When I first started out ultra running, I nearly when mad obsessing about the minutia.  What kit to wear, what to ear in the days leading up to the race, how to structure my training.  I think that the same is true for most people. 

Today I still train hard, but I fit my training in around my job and my social life, and I realise that I will never get a perfect training camp.  I sometimes don't decide what shoes or clothing to wear until the morning of the race. 

As for pre race nerves, I have done six 100 milers now, and I can honestly say that no race has ever intimidated me more than my first half marathon.

• Options

Hi Vicar - what other books did you get? I think my library on ultra-running books is fairly complete but I am always looking for more image

Sometimes I worry all the actual running could get in the way of the reading about running.

• Options

The Vicar,im doing my 1st ultra in just over 3 weeks,The Grim Reaper 40 miler,my weekly mileage is around 50 with my long runs of around 18-20miles,ive posted on here had the same response,some  great some not so but dont worry,we will get there no probs.image

• Options

Herbi I got a book by Marshall Ulrich too. I have started to read this first, bit of a Biography but just started to get into his run across USA. I got this because I watched a documentary about 2 UK blokes who done the same a couple of years a go! But the 'Running through the wall' book does look good. A lot bigger than I thought it was going to be image

GRIFFO good stuff buddy. I'm in the region of 50 now but when I ever so creep a little further my body says no thanks and I get injured. Almost guaranteed! But on training runs I have yet to top the 20 mark! Keep up the good work and hope all goes well for you

• Options

Ulrich's book is good - have a look for the DVD for the race across the Sahara - Charlie (guy who runs with Marshall) runs that one too. Have you read Scott Jurek's book yet? Excellent one. One of my all time favourites is Mud, Sweat and Tears - about an attempt on the Irish equivalant of the Bob Graham round.

It took me a while to happily break twenty on training runs. I have found that fueling is the key. I am still quite bulky so can end up carb depleted at around the 17 mile mark on a hilly run. Cheap flapkjacks while walking some hills seemed to be the answer image

• Options

Vicar,cheers mate, think you like a response when asking for advice,feels like your are in the forum with the guys then.lol,dont worry to much about the 20milers along as you have got a very good base mileage,and are strong mentally you be okimage

• Options

God on a good week, I get 12 miles tops.