Options

Belper Rugby Rover 30K

2»

Comments

• Options

Thanks stilldreaming! Well done to you too and glad you had a good run. My favourite bit was running downhill through the woods in the third mile - great fun. I think I could have missed the last turn onto the bridge on the way back, but otherwise totally agree about all the giant red arrows. Though I did run the last bit with a bloke who'd got a bit lost in the woods, despite having done it loads of times before.

• Options

literatin - well done but who claimed all the hills were done by 9 miles?!

I started too slow and lost loads of time queuing at gates and stiles early on. Also confused when a Belper runner told me (at the masts) that we were just past a third of the way around! Anyway, excuses aside this was supposedly a marathon training run for me and I couldn`t have pushed much more. Those last 2 hills in the woods were harsh, eh!? I think I did 3`04.

Well done stilldreaming!

• Options

I went into this race feeling nervous about all the hills and pain that everyone was writing about in the forums, however I was plesantly surprised. I loved it. If you have ever done Dursley dozen or muddy muggles then this was easy in comparison. After mile 10 it all became pretty much down hill, so worth starting gently for 1st half. Pleased with my 2hrs 22. Good prep for Abingdon marathon.

• Options

doppyashton - were you first lady? Congratulations if so; you were way ahead of the rest of us.

• Options

Anyone know when and where the results will be published? I'm patiently waiting for the official results and the photos too.

For my first race over half-marathon distance I don't think I did too bad, but I was aiming to be a little quicker than 2'28. Egyptian toe is right, the stop-start sections at the beginning don't make for a quick time, and a couple of those hills are a killer. Will definately think about doing it again next year.

• Options

Yes I was 1 st lady. Will be back next year as I love that part of England. scenery fabulous.

• Options

Well done Chris and Doppy. Good running there. They seemed to be taking photos on the line. Were they taken elsewhere. Not seen sign of any results yet. I`m curious to see where I finished up. Getting caught out at the start, I basically spent the vast majority of the race overtaking folk which is no bad thing although my time could have been better. Definitely a race that you can improve on once you know the course.

• Options

I did see a couple of people with cameras around, but they might have been just taking photos unofficially. I have a great comedy photo from a clubmate of us all queuing for 2 minutes to get over the first stile. I think another time if I were planning to race it I would warm  up a bit first and run the first mile a bit quicker to avoid the queues!

• Options

There are photos on the Belper Rugby Club facebook page :link:

https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/BelperRugby/photos_stream

Full resolution photos are available from Dan Carter dancarter87@gmail.com

Well done to all competitors!

• Options

Cool, thanks Bryan! If I'd seen the photographer I might even have tried smiling or something. image

• Options

Cheers for the link. Photo looks like I'm just decending through some random undergrowth without a path in sight. haha.

Probably will be more to come from the finish line. I'll keep an eye out.

Are the timings going to be put on the club website?

• Options

Timings are usually posted here when available:

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/belper/

If I hear any differently I'll let you know.

• Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Hi All.

That was good fun wasn't it? I'm a soft southerner who's moved north a week ago purely because I like running up hills. What used to be hills for me are just minor undulations now!

I was chatting to a guy in the club who suggested to go out very fast in the first couple of miles to avoid queuing at stiles. Spot on he was. I went out at 5k speed and had very few problems, but going at that speed for the first couple of miles did, err, hurt!

Cheers to the Barrow runner (Number 45) I was chatting with for a few miles. Good piccies on the site, agree with random vegetation.

Lovely scenery, perfectly marked, see you there next year.

(If you're interested, about 2:48, aiming for sub 3:45 at Abingdon in October).

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Options

Well done chimney. Great time imho.

I did a hilly Shrewsbury marathon in 3.49 a few weeks ago and did 3`04 at BRR so I reckon you will fly in Oxon!

• Options
    DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭

Well done everyone, don't know why I seem to come back to this one every year must be because of my masochistic tendencies.  

This year the weather was great for the event but it still doesn't make the hills any easier, at least the farmer didn't muck spread one of the fields like a couple of years ago. You could smell it for miles before you got to it and there was only about a 6ft gap at the edge of the field you could run down.

Finished in 2hrs 50mins which I'm pleased with as I been struggling up to now with my times, legs didn't have much ache in them the next day even though they knew it after I crossed the finish line.

I'll be back next year for more punishment.

• Options

Hi all,

Ran this for the 2nd time ,in 3:02, with a painful +ve split.

looking to next year for my 1st Marathon, how do you think this compares to a      flat-ish road marathon?

Thanks

• Options

It's hard to compare, mark, as they're two very different events. Also, there probably aren't that many people who are equally well-trained for both. But for what it's worth, I think if I'd been trying to race this one properly and been better trained for it, my average pace would probably still have come out 30-45 secs/mile slower than my marathon pace.

• Options

Results now on the club website for those who are awaiting the news.

I'm a tad dissapointed with my 2'28 but a top 50 finish isn't bad for my first time in this event I guess. I just had nothing left in the tank for the last 5k after the killer hills. I can't wait for next year to come around so I can use the experience of this year to better my time. I'll probably be hitting you lot up for some tips too if you don't mind image

• Options

Er, Chris, you do realise you did it quicker than most of the rest of us on here except Doppy, don't you? Not sure I'd have any useful tips!

• Options

Sorry, yeah image. No pointless competitiveness intended, I just don't consider myself an experienced runner at all.

• Options

Haha, that's okay, I wasn't offended, just thought it was funny! Actually though probably people who do this kind of race regularly (not me) would have tips for you whatever their pace. It's an odd one though because some people do it as part of marathon training just because it's the right distance, even though they normally only do road races, and they're probably not that bothered about timing because they'd be doing it as a long training run. But you get proper fell runners there too.

• Options

Interesting!

I`m one of the slowest on this thread and I did 3`04 which I thought was ok. Indeed, I did it as an LDR for (hopefully) Nottingham marathon.

I reckon that IF I did this again, I would improve a fair bit. Course knowledge counts for a lot and personally I lost several minutes queueing in the first few bottlenecks. Also knowing where to put in real effort would help. I was over a minute over my MP.

• Options

ET - a minute over your MP sounds sensible for a long run as part of marathon training. Why "(hopefully)" Nottingham marathon?

• Options

Thanks literatin. I`ve not entered Nottingham yet but that is my goal. I do think that BRR must have been good conditioning for the legs!

Any pics at the finish line yet?

• Options

I love this run! 4th time for me, a few minutes slower than the previous 3 outings but enjoyed it just as much. Hoping it'll provide a bit of leg conditioning for my first ultra in October.

Very well run everyone and congrats doppy on finishing first lady. Saw you as we were crossing the fields after dropping down from the golf course, you were going well then and obviously continued in that way.

See you all next year!

• Options

I'm probably the slowest finisher on this thread - infact, so slow I'm not on the results image  I reckon I did it in about 3:45 and have e-mailed BRUFC, so hopefully they'll find me somewhere!   Loved this run, though legs still feeling it (very hard work at last night's Club run!).

• Options

Marmite, 4th time for me to. I like this one as it's a good stamina workout for an Autumn marathon and despite the hills my legs seem to recover quicker due to the variations of terrain & gradients.Nice scenery & friendly, thanks to the organisers for putting it on again & hope to be back next time. image

• Options

Nick - glad you enjoyed it, think we probably said hello to each other on the run in as we finished within a minute of each other. Best of luck with your autumn marathon, which one are you aiming for? 

• Options

Hi Marmite, It was quite a quick finish wasn't it. I'm doing Chester this time for the first time. It's supposed to be a good one and my son is at Uni there so can go for a pint with him afterwards. Well that's the plan. What have you got lined up ?