Options

Training Tips

Comments

• Options
    BodBod ✭✭✭
    My best tips!

1) Gilets, as we have heard here are great, they are suitable for all but the wettest coldest conditions.
    2) If, on the start line of a race, feel comfortably warm you are wearing to many layers, and will be uncomfortably hot soon into the race.
    3) Before going to sleep visualise getting up and going for a run next morning, it helps you get up...aditionally get your kit ready the nnight before.
    4) If you don't feel like your training run, or the weather is bad outside, compromise with yourself by only running half the distance you planned. Invariably once out you feel better and do the full session.

Bod
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    My best pieces of advice:

1) There are many different ways to train. Not all of them will work for you. Experiment to find what does and don't just be swept along by the latest training 'trend' of the moment.
    2) When it's cold two thin tops layered over one another are better than one thick one. Gloves keep the hands warm and make the rest of you feel warmer too.
    3) Have hard skin, corns etc. on your feet dealt with by a chiropodist. Running with hard skin on the soles of your feet makes them very sore in the long term.
    4) If you're female, don't wear Ron Hills. Ever. They are designed to make your thighs look huge, they chafe and they sag when wet. Running tights are far better.
    5) I shouldn't need to say this, but if you're a woman invest in a good sports bra. It amazes me the amount of women I see out running who clearly haven't done so. If you want to be able to tuck your boobs into your waistband when you're 60, fine. Otherwise - invest!
    6) If your body is really screaming at you to have a rest day, listen to it.
  • Options
    Don't wait until you're thirsty before taking on fluid. On a longer run (ie >1 hr) I drink before starting, after 15 mins and every 10 min thereafter, aiming to empty what I'm carrying 10min before finishing (when more is available in car/ house etc).

I hate running in anything but bare legs (well sox/shorts I suppose) so can't commnet on tracksters.
  • Options
    When the run is uncomfortable, and seems to take a lot of effort, remember that is what training is about. If the run is comfortable and effortless, then you won't be improving.

But it is nice to reward yourself with a long, easy run in beautiful scenery. No improvement in VO2Max after one of these, but mood, outlook, optimism, all rocket!

• Options
    Advice
    Jelly babies just before a race.
    Get a running partner who is really competitive mine kills me.
    Move to Dorset the hills are huge.
    Ron Hill clothing is very comfy wind proof jackets are great.
  • Options
    Haven't read that one yet ....

Always make sure there are a few public toilets or pubs along your training route. Well, you never know!
  • Options
    When you're having trouble getting your @rse out the door try putting on your fave kit and run somewhere different instead of your old boring route.
  • Options
    Wear a cap in the rain

Save all those ghastly RH's to wear before a race, to be ditched a min before the start.One way to get rid of them Lizzy!

Do back exercises
  • Options
    Minkin - you got there first. I've getting heavily into Perl (a newish computer language) at work, and one of its major principles is expressed in the acronym TMTOWTDI "There's More Than One Way To Do It". TMTOWTDI applies to training also.

If you have a choice of route, do the one which involves going out into the wind first. UNLESS it's really hot - then the opposite applies.

If using an HRM:
    Being unable to get your HR DOWN to the level you want to train at MAY mean you need a rest. Being unable to get your HR UP to that level DEFINITELY means you need a rest.
  • Options
    I love these training tips.

I'm going to try them ALL.

Oops, just bought some RH tracksters in a bargain basket in our local running shop - now I know why they were in there !

• Options
    Im going to start aRh trackster fan club i love'em...... so there!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Just what I was thinking Lynne!

If you've ever suffered with a bad back or knees put sorbothane single strike (flat) insoles under your original insoles, they really do work!

Do not do static stretches on cold muscles.

Running up hills fix your eyes on a point ahead of you and go for it, when you reach it move your eyes to another point before you know it you're up the hill.

Another hill strategy imagine your legs are bicycle wheels smoothly churning up the hill.

• Options
    A few more tips ...

Teach yourself (or get taught) to swim 'properly' so that when you get injured you'll be able to have a worthwhile CV workout in the pool.

Cold baths after long runs really do work. But wear a sweatshirt and woolly hat in the bath to make it bearable

If you're running along a long and boring road, play games with yourself - try to reach the next lampost before the oncoming car does... reach the gate before the aeroplane above you goes out of sight ... improvised fartlek!

If you live in an urban/suburban area, run instead of walking/driving when you have to run those little errands in your neighbourhood(like going to the cashpoint, picking up daughter from Brownies, nipping out to the shop for a pint of milk)

Never wear headphones.

• Options
    Dont drink coffee on the day of a race it stimulates the bladder big time if you need a caffeine fix one of the sports gels is loaded with it cant remember which or even better cadburys boost with guarana has same amount as half a cup of coffee and its chocolate
  • Options
    Maybe you could wear you RH tracksters in the bath?
  • Options
    goldbeetle - do you know how much water they hold! I'd drown!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Biggest tip yet-DON'T wear RH tracksters EVER in a race you're sure to have PW!
  • Options
    Lizzy i echo that about wearing headphones a big NO NO

• Options
    I have raced a boat before.....
  • Options
    Hey, I *like* my Ron Hill tracksters! Although I do have to wear lycra shorts underneath to deal with the chafing from the washing instructions. but alas, they no longer seem to be waterproof!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Where was the boat Pammie?

Hildegard-once you wear running tights you'll never want another pair of RH's again!

Another tip:

Don't forget the good old tip of putting vaseline all over your feet and especially between your toes when doing long runs for marathon training. Helps prevent blisters!
  • Options
    somewhere on the thames, one of those bigguns
  • Options
    I like my Ron Hill Tracksters too! I feel too exposed/vulnerable running in tights through the town centre (which I have to do when I run on dark winter nights). Lovely, baggy, cover-all, deeply unflattering tracksters are just the ticket!
  • Options
    Is it just ron hill tracksters or all tracksters that is the problem?
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Personally I don't like any tracksters!

Good picture Notty!
  • Options
    Congratulations Hilly

You posted the 55,555 message on training

v good pic notty
  • Options
    i dont like the stirrups

me tights are a little chilly tho
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    I like my tracksters, too!

no chafing, stirrups are fine, and they last for ever!

My thighs *are* huge, so I'd expect nothing less than for them to look so.

:o)
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I suppose we'd be boring if we all liked the same!

BTW notty I can do what your picture is doing on my head, can you? :o)

Pammie that was an unintentional post, but not the first time I've hit a significant figure in a post!
  • Options
    Don't train as hard as me!

It hurts!

I hate RH tracksters & love my tights!

Get good quality sleep.

Keep warm before & after racing.

Should be able to think of more...............