Bike fitting

Can I have some recommendations for a good bike fitter please ?  I'm in the south east, but could travel to Bristol/London/Midlands if need be.

Cheers

Comments

• I had a retul bike fit from the bike science guys - mine was in Derby but they have a branch in Bristol and Tunbridge Wells - http://www.bike-science.com/

• All about Freespeed in the funkin household...

• Fragile -  a group of us did a  bike for with Bike Science in Bristol. We did a group booking for 4 and it was £100 per person. I *may* know someone who *may* be interested in getting a group of four together 

• Oooo I'd be up for a group bike fit if we could secure a discount! And providing I had the day off. image

• Ooh, sounds good Schmunks image

was hoping to get something sorted out for a couple of weeks time when the fraglets are staying with grandparents and I'll be able to get out for a few hours.....

• Little Miss Happy have you noticed any benefit to your cycling from a retul fit? There is one near me but I don't want to chuck money at something that won't help.

• Unless you've got a particular problem you should be able to sort your own bike fit out - it's not really rocket science - 3 contact points how hard can it be?

• OK - i keep getting pain on the outside of my knees, what can I do to sort it out ?

• Fraggle - could be lots of things, but possibly cleat alignment.

I would suggest that no doubt Popsider knows what he's talking about when it comes to bikes, so he's able to fit his own bike - but for us who know sod all about these, we may benefit from being told by someone else. I'm certainly more comfortable on my TT bike after having a fit.

• Where did you go Raf?

(and yes I'm a numpty so need someone else to look at my cycling and see what's out of alignment)

• popsider wrote (see)

Unless you've got a particular problem you should be able to sort your own bike fit out - it's not really rocket science - 3 contact points how hard can it be?

3 points? you riding with no hands??...image

• Oh and another vote for Freespeed in London.

• People  rode bikes for 100 years without the need for bike fitters, but if you want to piss a hundred quid up the wall be my guest!  

• backache on right side after about an hour image

• Fraggle - I went to Bike Science in Bristol when we got the group discount for the 3D Retul fit. If its just for a road bike, you may be ok getting a 'static fit' - which is cheaper.

• popsider save me £185 and tell me how to stop my back ache image

• Stop riding your bike = no back ache. £1 please

• 100 years ago women of a certian age did not ride a bike for hundreds of miles each week........especially with dodgy backs and knees........#

If i was just cycling down to the shops and back a couple times a week I'm sure I would not need a bike fitimage

• Meldy got fitted for her broomstick back in the 1500's

• But how many points of contact on a broomstick?? image

• A good fit for one event may be rubbish for another.   A mate had a Retul fit in Derby and had to raise his bars when we went to the Alps because of back ache - but maybe the Retul position was ok for a 1 hour crit?   Either way I'd say that fit was money wasted.

Why  not just start with a position based on tradition, kops etc, then work from there.  You can use a video to have a look side on and see how your knee tracks front on etc.  

• As I say though if you've got a particular injury problem you just can't solve then maybe go to someone who knows about cycling and sports injury - someone like Adrian Timmis round here rather an someone who has trained in a fit system - there must be smilar elsewhere. 

• Flat Foo..ted wrote (see)

Stop riding your bike = no back ache. £1 please

image thanks!!! Now I know what to do!!!

• red dog - where were you thinking of going? Just asking because I know someone who does them in Newark but to be honest I am not sure I would go to her

• Bridgtown cycles in Cannock are good as well. Experienced enough to be able to account for non perfect builds as it were! 

• Hi, I had a fitting at Condor a couple of weeks ago and it's really helped. I wrote about it here:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/triathlete/triathlon/becoming-ironmum---blog-9/9899.html

• mathschick wrote (see)

red dog - where were you thinking of going? Just asking because I know someone who does them in Newark but to be honest I am not sure I would go to her

Hi MC,

There are a few retul ones in Nottingham, but the prices are mad £170-£200!!! Have you had a bike fit? Where did you go?

• Honestly it's not rocket scienceimage Google how to set up a road bike there are some good articles and you tube bits £200 quid for basically a few measurements  and a bit of cleat positioningimage

• Ridgebackmax wrote (see)

Honestly it's not rocket scienceimage Google how to set up a road bike there are some good articles and you tube bits £200 quid for basically a few measurements  and a bit of cleat positioningimage

I had a go before and actually got it to feel quite good from a youtube vid. I think it just needs fine tuning so my back stops aching on one side. Or maybe I should try some stretches for my back to see if it helps.