Options

Fibroids & Running

Hi

Warning to the blokes - this could get graphic!

I feel in need of some moral support so thought I'd post. After excessive bleeding I was diagnosed in February with a fibroid the size of a grapefruit. Submucosal so inside the lining of the womb and bit hard to get to.

To control the bleeding I was fitted with the mirena coil and it has worked pretty well. Just some minor side affects, although I do have light bleeding/spoting every day.

What I'm not coping well with is the pregnant look. I am slim and whilst I don't have defined abs, I do normally have a fairly flat stomach. When i mentioned it to my GP she said that I was eating more due to the hormonal effect of the coil. I took a deep breath and resisted my urge to snap at her. Reminded her I was triathlete and was marathon training. In fact if anything I am eating less.

Today I went for a check up with the gyne and mentioned that my stomach was bloated. You know how it is with a different doctor everytime? Well this one was brilliant. And I was right. I haven't put on any fat. It's the size of the fibroid that is making my uterus about the size of 14wks pregnant. It's squishing my stomach up and thus I am eating less.

The coil has shifted out of place so I have to have an ultrasound scan to find it. And they are going to measure the fibroid again to see how fast it is growing. I'm only 38 so potentially it will continue to grow until I hit the menopause in about 15yrs time.

In the meantime I am still running. It's sometimes uncomfortable but not really painful. My marathon is 24th Aug so I'm doing my longest runs at the moment. My iron levels are back up and I feel okay although I'm a bit slower than usual.

Just wondering what experiences other ladies have?

I guess the only way I will get rid of the fibroid is to have some kind of surgery. Has anyone been through that?

Mentally it is the knowledge that I have this huge mass inside of me that is difficult to cope with. And the being 'fat'. It's okay if you really are pregnant (and I had twins so was really big), but I've never been fat before.

Would appreciate any sharing and discussion.

Comments

• Options

Hi Chili
    Sorry to hear you've been having a rough time with it.
    Can they not remove the fibroid rather than leave it there to grow? if it is causing discomfort and affecting your eating, surely it is reason enough for surgery?
    In the short term it would set you back, but in the long term you'd be more comfortable.
    I've had a laporoscopy recently for endometriosis. The adhesions weren't big, but the discomfort was certainly there. It meant a few weeks off any exercise, but after that and a mirena, I'm back on track.
    I'm guessing the size of fibroid probably means something more invasive than a laporoscopy, but there must be some alternative? I guess it also depends on if you want more children.And I'm not surprised you are a bit slower, you have extra weight to carry around (even if not fat).

Maybe look at your wardrobe and re-think clothes that can 'hide' or distract from your stomach? It won't get rid of it, but might make you feel less self-concious?
    I bloat a lot from IBS and have "heavy hips" so generally avoid anything clingy on my stomach and try to make my shoulders look broader to balance me out a bit.

Not sure if any of that helps. It is a horrible thing to go through but I'm super impressed you're doing your long runs and going for the marathon. You should be proud that this hasn't got to you mentally to stop you.

WW

• Options

Hi WonderWomen and thanks for posting. Its good to hear that your surgery went well and you are able to run again. I'm guessing you haven't had too many side effects from the coil?

Yes, there is a type of surgery I could have which cuts the blood vessels to the fibroid which should make it shrivel and die. The only way of removing it is have a full hysterectomy and they (and me) are not to keen on that given my age. I already have 4 kids and have been steralised so the 'not being able to have children' isn't an issue.

And yes I have been re-thinking my clothes. It's a bit depressing isn't it? I've been the same size (bar pregnancies) for the past 20 yrs.

Thanks for your encouragement.

• Options

I find it very odd that they are just leaving it to grow! I'd have the first surgery and if it didn't work for some reason I'd have the hysterectomy, especially if you have 4 kids already!