Options

Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options
    NellsNells ✭✭✭

Heroine in a Halfshell I'm in the same position as you - had my last proper run just over a week ago, but have been resting since as a knee pain that I thought I'd seen the last of flared up again. My first full marathon and training has been very up and down, but if we make it to the start line that's an achievement in itself, and once we're at that point whether it's run, walk or crawl I'm sure we'll be determined enough to make it to the end.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Ms Halfshell. Tricky is exactly right in what he says (as usual). 

We've all been where you. My calves always seem to be solid in the run up to a race. 

Don't worry, you are exactly where you need to be and you will be fabulous. Just getting to the start line is a credit to your determination. Don't worry about speed, this is your first so you have nothing to beat. 

Enjoy the run, admire the views and relish the support of the crowd. 

BTW - it will hurt in the last few miles but it's not meant to be easy image

• Options
    orapidrun wrote (see)

Well said - TD! Especially the bit about always someone faster or slower.

Jimbob - you mean you left something out? Ha! I see from a previous thread you've entered the Abingdon marathon, right? Me too. Good luck in Paris. In fact, good luck everyone, not long now!

Yes good luck all ....

Orapidrun: I signed into Abo as I heard it's a quick one - a bit "clubby" so hopefully be able to drag a decent performance out of it ....

the list gets added to as I remember more stuff I might need

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Le Jimbob wrote (see)

Les Champs a PC wrote (see)
    Le Jimbob wrote (see)
    there'll be one more publication later this week with more stuff added. You can never have too much stuff, like I said before, an assassin selecting from his arsenal .....

Impressive list, I'm panicking now as I don't half that stuff, I'm going to struggle finding the M&S hot cross buns and the contact lenses.  More like a Goonner selecting from his Arsenal.

I liked you Jimbob... until now. YOU"RE A GOONER?!?!

I've always known about your horrendous taste in football teams Ems, like you've always known about me supporting the red-shirted/white sleeved half of North London (you've only forgotten) - we've had this conv before!. I just don't bring it up here on the thread as it's footy and it's a bit dull talking about that on Runners World. Also, our relationship is so volatile - do we need any more spice than we already have? image

Oh darling you betcha. You know there are fireworks wherever we are. We'll always have Paris as they say image

Charlie4 wrote (see)

Emmy, fingers firmly crossed for you! Sending positive vibes.

I shall be visiting England from Australia in the next week or so. Whilst I'm there I'd like to invest in a new pair of trainers ( or two!!).  My feet are a bizarre shape, as wide as they are long and this makes it hard to find a shoe which suits my gait/needs but is also comfortable. 

Running shops here are few and far between and I suspect that I have been fitted with a "near enough" shoe because they don't carry enough stock to really have a perfect shoe.  Since paying big bucks for my new Brooks I seem to have been constantly sore. 

Please could any of you recommend a really good shoe shop with knowledgable staff and a wide product range. I'm staying in Herts, near Dunstable, Watford etc but spending time in London and happy to travel (maybe not as far as Brussels though!)

thanks in advance for your collective wisdom and wishing you all terrific results for the weekend.  Charliexx

Hey Charlie - have a look at sweatshop and see what the ones around you are like. I knew of a great place in reading but they've now shut down so i'm a little unsure when it comes to finding somewhere "good".

• Options

TD & Orbutt - thank you for your kind and knowledgeable words! You are right of course, we should all run our own race and face our fears - this is what we signed up for in the first place, the thrill of pushing ourselves further than the general public think is reasonable! Your positivity is catching, I already feel like my fear is turning to excitement just from your encouragement, so thank you!

DefenderKen - I hope that your wife has a brilliant race! I bet she is feeling nervous! If she isn't then she must tell me her secret because it looks like i've come from a similar running background and I'm nervous as hell!!

• Options
    Scott - can you wind some bubble wrap around the whole thread? It sounds like everyone needs it right now. Fingers crossed, especially for the walking wounded.

So, after (eventually) getting home last night, today was long run day. The route was up the Thames Path to Hampton Court. I was aiming to run walk, at my (planned) Comrades race pace. I inevitably went off a bit quick, so I think I'll take longer walking breaks earlier on to slow me down and keep me going longer.

The route really made me think how lucky I am to be able to run where I do and see the sights - the Tower of London, the Houses of Parliament, the magnificent Lycra-clad buttocks of the Cambridge boat crew as they train for the Boat Race at Putney (oh my).

Food - I used 4 scoops of Perpetuem mixed with water in 2x125ml bottles, some flapjacks, some salted boiled potatoes (they were good) and a banana as a special reward at half way. I was eating regularly, but I did feel myself feeling a little low blood sugary before I had the banana so I might make up the Perpetuem more concentrated next time.

So, finished a bit faster than I had planned, but another target on the plan crossed off. Still can't imagine doing another 25 after that, though.
  • Options

Great stuff RR, the running, oh and probably the food as well  image

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭

RR - you ran 30 miles too fast ? Well Done image

• Options

Guys, I was in Lloyds pharmacy and saw this -

/members/images/816806/Gallery/21453_10151229181548571_2011226332_n.jpg

I reckon they would do a roaring trade in Paris if they set up a little stall near the pens!!

• Options
    Heroine - bring a few, you might make some pocket money for Corcorans .

PC - the secret to ultra running is to start as slow as possible so that you're still running rather than death marching at the end. It's not as easy as it sounds. When I say 'I went off too quick' I mean I was doing 10:45 min miles, not 11!
  • Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

£5.99? If you work on your accuracy you can use a sports drink bottle, like us blokes image

Top tip: empty ones are better

• Options

Thanks to everyone for thier kind words. Update: been to hospital for x-ray nothing broken just severe bruising and swelling. Been given strong pain killers and been told to rest for 2 weeks to let the swelling go down. I'm rubbing in deep heat and ibuleve gel in the hope I can get the pain to a manageable level for Sunday even if I got to walk 1/2 of it. Feel a little better and I'll make the call on Saturday when I'm in Paris as to run or not, but if not I'll be there cheering. Feel a bit down tonight I've worked so hard for this bloody annoying, still if not Paris I'll be on line the following week in London because you get 8 hours to finish that one. Stay safe everyone too close now image

• Options

Heroine - my fears and excitement sound very similar to yours. I enjoyed TD and Orbutt's advice too.

Problem with that piss pot is that if you're a women you'd have to expose yourself just as much using it as you would just bending down, unless you run in a skirt. I couldn't get that down my capris and back out again without spillage! image

Good to hear you're getting better TD!

Hope you are OK Steve Ayling image

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

BMM - they give you a plastic poncho at the expo. You can use this to squat down and make a teepee for your peepee image)

Or just close your eyes and go, no one will watch image

• Options

Heroine, couldn't you just rent a couple out at a time, and then also charge an emptying fee........image?

Can't believe its just 4 days until I start my journey to Paris. Seems to have come round in no time.

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭

What sizes do the piss pots come in ?

Do not drink the sports drinks in the pens.

• Options

The box says 1L capacity - that's got to be enough for two!

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭

I'm not sharing !

• Options

My race day routine consists of finishing my last sports drink one hour before the race starts. Then going at least twice for a pee as and where I can. With 3 mins to go before the race starts, I pull out the sports drink bottle that I emptied an hour ago, and tuck it under my race poncho/ bin bag/ space blanket that I'm usually wearing, and a make a special home brew bottle of warm Lucozade.

TD advice - never drink warm frothy Lucozade ou find near a race start line. Always check the seal. I've never had to stop and pee in a mara following this routine. That saves a minimum of 45seconds off your PB.*

*May not apply so well to girls but TinkerBEL has got an amusing urinal story she probably doesn't want me to mention here, so I wont.

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Great stuff RR!    Do you plan on carrying Perpetuem during Comrades?    I am not planning on carrying anything.

• Options

another question to you Paris veterans - the water i'm guessing its in bottles ? yes - im assuming , but daughter asking ! thanks 

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Wrexhamrob - Yes, bottles.

• Options
    NellsNells ✭✭✭

Can anyone point me in the direction of where to register for text updates for supporters? I've heard it exists, but can't for the life of me see where you sign up for it!

• Options
    StuchburyStuchbury ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear of all the last minute injury worries. Loving five star. Will not watch last year's video until later.. It will make me cry and I didn't even run it!

in other news, mini S's nursery have told us they've miscalculated fees and we owe them neatly a grand!!! I kid you not. A man came and chopped some trees down in the garden today but chopped one that wasn't supposed to be going!! Arghhh!

stay safe out there kids.

• Options

Stuchbury - it never rains but it pours? Sounds like Paris might actually be a break for you - all you have to do is run a marathon!

Dannirr - I'm in two minds about the Perpetuem - I'll be carrying a small waist belt for odds and ends, and I'm thinking I might take a small bottle of it. That way I know I've got something that agrees with my stomach if what's provided on the route doesn't.

• Options

Heroine - your account of the training journey was truly moving.....thank you.  So many of us can relate to what you are going through!  And I'll be re-reading TD & Orbutt's responses again as the days tick away and the nerves escalate.

Poor Emmy & Steve, unbelievable timing for your respective accidents.  Sending you both (and poorly TD) healing thoughts.

Never peed in a teepee before.  Sounds good.  Looking forward to it.