Options

Cardiosport vs Polar

Hubby is getting me a HRM for xmas.
I haven't tried one before. We went to Sweatshop yesterday to look. They're getting in a cardiosport ? Go for me to look at next weekend.I'm also considering a Polar A5 (both models apparently have backlight and zone alarm which I need). Cardiosport is much cheaper, tho'
How do the brands compare? Is the Polar worth the extra £35, when the features seem to be very similar.
Any advice gratefully received.

Comments

• Options
    At that level of Heart Rate monitor I'd stick with the Cardio, as you say it's cheaper, relaible too - a couple of my friends have them and a good first monitor to start you off with.

You might find you never use it (although i use mine all the time) Not sure how compatible they are with Gym machines but if you're just using it outside it shouldn't be a problem (or you could just look at your wrist.

The biggest feature for me is the size of the numbers on the screen so that I can see them easier while training.

I started with a polar M21 but when that broken after dropping it went all out and bought the S610i a lovely bit of kit if I do say so myself.

• Options
    Thanks Rob
    I have to admit my instinct is to go for the cheaper one- as you say I don't even know how I'll get on using a heart rate monitor.
    I only run outdoors- and often in the dark, hence the need for a backlight.
    I will check out the digit size tho'
  • Options

If you ever run with people who also get HRM it is worth getting a digital monitor straight off, otherwise you end up seeing their heart rate all the time, negating the ue of the thing entirely. I started with an analogue Polar, which was OK, went to a Analogue Suunto, which is great. My g/f has a Digital polar, so we have to run with her on my right otherwise I pick up her HR signal on my Suunto. I now have a Timex which is digital and have no problems. Avoid Timex if you want to use it in the gym - Analogue Cardiosport and Polar produce the same signal and POlar is the one that is used by most machines which have a link up!
  • Options
    My digital Polar transmits my Heart Rate to the machine on my left at the gym as well as my own. Very off-putting for my training partner !
  • Options

yes, the digital ones send out an analogue signal as well. most gym machines are analogue, so will pick up all signals around.
  • Options
    In my opinion as you go up the range of polar and cardiosport HRM's - polar would get my vote. For a saving of £35 at the bottom end of the HRM market my money would be with the cardiosport - but if you want quality and gizmos at the top end polar would be my choice. I have now got the Polar s610i and like Rob above I would have to admit it is a nice piece of kit.
    I have in the past had a cardiosport and a Suunto but both I found to give inaccurate readings at times - something I seldom experience with the Polar.
  • Options
    Go for the cheap Cardiosport to start with. If you like it and use it a lot then you can consider an upgrade. Why spend a fortune on lots of whistles, bells and things you don't know what they are and if you need them at this stage?
    I find that my cardiosport works with the gym equipment in my local gym (lifestyles and powertrak equipment), although it does effect the treadmill on each side as well as mine, but that's not a problem as most people don't use a HRM in our gym.
    When running in a group, if you run closely with your mates, there may be some interference, but there are several of us at my club, and we find that as long as we keep about 12 inches of space between us and hold our wrists in front of us to see the monitor we are ok.

• Options
    PS: And you can change the batteries on a cardiosport yourself. Polar has to be sent back to the manufacturer so that's extra cost later on.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice. My copy of 'Heart Monitor Training for the Compleat Idiot' arrived today, so I can have a good read of that so I might have some idea of what I'm doing.
    I'm going to go for the cardiosport I think. It seems the more sensible option at this stage.
    cheers