Options

First 1/2 coming up - but not for ages!

I've been plodding happily for the last six months and have decided to train for a half. Now that winter is here i want something a bit more structured so that i get my derier out of doors. I have the Stafford 1/2 in mind in four months time. I have taken the RW training schedules of the web and they are up on the door.

What i would like to know is any useful hints and tips, especailly about fuel needed for the longer runs. Currently i take water with me or nothing at all, but that's because i do about 3-5 miles at a time.

Oh, and my pace is about 11/12 minute mile.

Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated from those of you with lots and not so lots of experiece.

Ta.

Comments

• Options
    This is what works for me - but everyone is different.

Don't bother with sports drink unless you really feel you have a problem with energy levels. Certainly no need for any runs up to 90 minutes - if I were going over 2 hours I'd rather have an energy bar such as the hi5 ones but generally just take water. Water is OK and essential in warmer weather.

For long runs just run on feel - don't bother trying to push the pace unless you feel good and don't look at your watch too much - use them to explore different places, routes etc. Try and build up to expected time on your feet. If you know of any nice off road trails I'm sure this helps prevent injuries caused by repetitive stress.

• Options
    I've had two running incarnations. The first when the kids were small, between finding time and dodging colds I was lucky to get three runs a week in, two three mile runs and one 6 mile run, which I did not often get round without walking. My best hm time was my first 2hr 12.

Second incarnation, more time to train, very much more broken down physically, I trained run/walking usually 4 times a week, roughly speaking two 3 mile runs, a four mile run and one between 6 and 9 miles.

Run walking made it possible to get so I was confident of being able to get round 8 miles reasonably comfortably. On the 3 mile runs I did not bother to walk, and the 6 mile runs, I did the run/walk routine only if I was feeling rough. Otherwise I would walk only for drink breaks and stop for traffic lights.

While my first half might have been faster, the recent ones have been much more enjoyable. Having practice, however slow, at getting round 9 miles was great both for confidence and for pacing: I simply knew I could not afford to go at all fast until after the 7 mile marker.

People differ in what they like in the way of eats and drinks in a half. At 12 minute miles it's going to be a pretty long time, and I find either jelly babies or the like to complement the water that's usually on offer, or else carrying my own fruit juice really helps. Try it beforehand on a long run. i like carrying my own drink: little and often suits me better than working up a thirst.

I would say it helps not to become one paced. Not that you will vary your pace wildly on the day, but that you can choose what pace you go at. In particular, when you are having a rotten run some time, instead of giving up and going home, practice just slowing down and taking it ever easier. Knowing that you've got a bottom gear yet to retreat to also helps.

At 12 minute miles, there is a sobering moment at the beginning when it seems that everybody takes off like a startled hare, leaving you apparently rooted to the start line. Spend some time thinking about this. Let them go. You will catch the weaker willed ones who have been foolish enough to hare off with the best. It is of utmost importance that you do not speed up until after the 7 mile marker. Then it is rather good fun to overtake gasping and uncomfortable people while you are still feeling quite fresh, really.

Don't worry about your time the first time round. First halfs are to be gotten round still wearing a grin at the end. If you have understimated your stamina - you have then an easy target for your next attempt at a personal best. No harm done. If you overestimate it, and arrive at the finish line sick, cramped, gasping and hurting, there will perhaps be no second attempt.

Hope you have something like as much fun as I have had.
  • Options
    Hi, I also have just entered a half marathon (silverstone/london)... ug! :)

I'm by no means an expert I have only been running properly for 3 weeks and only done one 10k race but I'm finding alot of help with nutrition and training from here

www.coolrunning.com

They have a nice 12 week training thingy for the half marathon, and it starts off with doing about 3 or 4 miles a week, long run at weekends. Sounds right up your street!

www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/144.shtml

Anyway good luck, sounds like your doing great

Andy
  • Options

By co-incidence, I've just posted a "half marathon training" thread, asking for advice on whether my self-constructed schedule's OK. I'm running two halfs in March.

Having run three halfs as a 'beginner' this year, I'd offer three tips:-

1) Apart from maybe one 'speed' session, don't train above your race pace. Otherwise, your body will never learn to run at the pace you need on the day;

2) On race day, ignore everyone around you. Stick to your plan/pace. You may be one of the slowest past 1 mile, but you'll be passing dozens of 'burn outs' by 8 miles;

3) When training, do one 'long run' a week and very gradually increase its length. This gives you stamina/endurance. You can't train for 13 miles by running 3 miles in training each day.
  • Options
    I too have been "back" running 6 months and have planned a half for march so will keenly absorb any info in this thread i can run nearly 7 miles at mo, (without stopping) albeit slowly and am looking forward to it

agree with point no 3 lightning

my one and only previous half i did undertrain (1989) so this time i will do better.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice.

I have taken the training schedule from this website. There seem to be lots of different training schedules for beginners, but i think i'm better off just sticking to one plan.

The stuff i have read has said to start increasing one run a week to a long run, which is helpful. Up untill now i thought the aim was to run the same distance all the time. Now i know differently.

• Options
    I agree with everything Popsider said about water and pacing yourself on long runs. You could try doing long runs every 2 weeks, increasing by 1-2 miles each time. As you build the distance up, try alternating with a "time on feet" run where you run for as long as you aim to in the race but without worrying about the distance you cover.

You'll benefit from taking your long runs up to 14 or 15 miles, both for the extra endurance and the confidence that you can run the distance.

What everyone says about ignoring other runners on the day is true. Run your own race. You can make use of other people though by locking onto someone doing the pace you want to and trying to stay with them.

Above all, enjoy the training, and make sure you take time to enjoy the achievement afterwards.
  • Options

As far as "long runs" are concerned, I'm not even going to consider trying to run 14/15 miles in training for a 13 mile half-marathon.

I want a bit of a challenge on race day -'digging in' and going that extra mile for my medal. If I knew for certain sure that I could do the distance, where's the uncertainty that's part of the buzz.

Also, if you've run 14 miles in training, you've already met your distance goal. So what's the point entering a race at a lesser distance?
  • Options
    Lightning... I am sure you did not mean to be so literal in your above post, but it seems you saying that anyone who has run a Marathon should only enter an Ultra next, no 10k's or half's as the distance has already been achieved?

There is more than a distance goal for some, in order to run a better time (relative to a runners own previous performance) in subsequent races over the same distance it would make sense for the runner to train their body to be comfortable in running that distance (and possibly beyond), then they can concentrate on times etc.

• Options
    As a novice runner, I know and understand what Lightning is saying.

However, my personal way of setting myself a challenge is to enter a race that's longer than I've ever run in training. So I've entered a March half, having only run as far as 8 miles before. However, now I have that target, I plan to run further than 13.1 miles before the race and then go for a particular time target in the race itself.

After doing a marathon in the future though I don't think I'll be aiming for an ultra!
  • Options
    I've got my first half marathon lined up for May (Chester). I would say the aim for any race is to run it well. I'm hoping to get at least a few 15 milers under my belt before I race the half. If nothing else it will give me some confidence that I can actually get round.

I may enter Stafford or Wilmslow too. Not sure if I'll be ready by March though.
  • Options
    I'd only done 12 miles when I did my first half and I really suffered for it. I put some more long runs in before my second one including one 16 miler and felt an awful lot better - and took 7 minutes off my time.
  • Options
    Thanks for starting this thread, Llana, and to all have posted 'top tips'. The Stafford half is my planned first half too. 16 miles at 12 minute miles (my 'slow and steady' pace) would be a run for three hours and 12 minutes! Hmmmm.... Where do we find the time?
  • Options
    Does anyone train using an hrm? What % of max would be a good pace for a half, do you think?
  • Options
    I've tried training with it but I couldn't get on with it - sometimes wear it just out of interest.
  • Options
    Started runnign in summer, and entered the Flora 5km... onto Cambridge for a 10km, then to Leicester for a half....

Ummmm... top tips...

I use High 5 Energy gels and find they are my 'magic goo'!!! I can feel the extra energy gign through my body!! Must try them out in training beforehand though.

I do all my training (except weekly long runs)on the treadmill (inlcine 1) and have found that running outside in races is easier and sooooo much more enjoyable and motivating!!

Enjoy the day - be prepared with all your gear. Stand next to someone that you guess may be the same fitness and use them as a pacer! That HAS to be my top tip... move onto another runner if you find you want to push on... the make sure you single someone out about 1 mile from the end and aim to beat them over the line - means you end with a nice sprint finish!
  • Options
    I'm doing my first half in January (Brass Monkey).

I've been doing the training planner of this website, and have to say its tough but working.

Until I started this, I'd run twice/three times a week - now I'm running five or six times and it's definately paying off.
    Can do ten miles now, happily, and feel pretty confident that I could cope with thirteen...Doing the short runs + one long run is definately the way to go - you notice the extra energy in your long runs, because the first half of it flies by! (the distance of your now 'easy' shorter runs)

A question though: I dislike speedwork. I'm a plodder by nature (though a quick plodder, somehow) and whilst it's down on the timetable, I tend to take that day as a rest (I feel I need it). Will not doing speedwork really affect my stamina during the half? I run 8/9 min/miles and did ten miles today in 1.15, comfortably, but I know it will be all different in the race..should I really force myself to do it?
  • Options
    BunnyPhobia - if you're doing 10 miles in 1:15, then you're running 7:30 miles.

Not doing speedwork won't hurt your stamina, in fact it will probably improve it if you're doing more easy and steady paced running instead (see base training thread). The downside is that you won't have a "kick" in the race: you won't have the extra burst of speed that is important to achieving your best times.

It really depends what you want to achieve. If you just want to get round, then the training you're doing will be enough. Quality speedwork will make you faster though, so you need to be clear about what your goal is.