Marathon race report

Race: Drei-Läender Marathon
Distance: Marathon
Date: Sunday 6 October 2002
Weather: Wet, raining, cold.
Course description: Flat.
Time: 3:40:08
“There is no such thing as inappropriate weather just inappropriate clothing”
Not a normal race report (from me) – rather some interesting reflections and advice for first time marathoners.
We had travelled down to Lake Constance on Friday and Saturday had been a beautiful day, a little misty to start but then sunny and relatively warm. The rain started during Sunday night and as we lined up for the start in Lindau is continued heavier and heavier. I had a long sleeve ‘wicking’ shirt but with temperatures at around 10 degrees I figured that once I got going I would warm up. This was – ahem! – an incorrect assumption.
My target was to hit 10k in around 45 minutes, I actually hit in 45:26, which was ok but something was wrong, I was feeling strangely tired, not in the running sense but an overall feeling of weariness. I was now thoroughly soaked through and getting cold.
I pushed on thinking that if I was going through a bad patch that it might pass if I eased up a little. In actual fact I started feeling worse and whilst I passed halfway in around 1:37 I knew that something was seriously wrong, I had no pace at all and was already slowing dramatically.
What happened during the final half of the race can only be likened to watching one of those old black and white films where all the police jump into a big wagon, then the wheels, sides, top and engine all fall out leaving only a very forlorn looking figure sitting holding a steering wheel. I had entered a vicious cycle where as I slowed I got colder and as I got colder I slowed. I completed the second half of the race in 2:03 of which the last 10k had taken 66 minutes.
At the finish I was in a state of, what I believe to be, mild hypothermia, almost unable to walk and shivering involuntarily. It took me almost two hours before I felt normal again. Looking at the split times of those around me it seems that some suffered badly as well although few as badly as me.
Having set out my stall in terms of target times beforehand I have to say that I don’t feel disappointed. On the day I ran (albeit slowly for the latter part) all the way and finished a marathon.
Did I underestimate the challenge? – probably.
Did I underestimate the conditions? – definitely, and as an experienced runner I should know better.
Will I run another? – Almost certainly.
A lesson learnt? – Lots of lessons learnt, finishing the race put me right at the edge of my willpower and ability. People will say the marathon is two races, the first to 20 miles and the second over the last 10k. For me it was three races, the first half marathon, and the disbelief as I slowed through the third 10k, then a desperate struggle to the finish.

Comments

• Options
    Those of you with a strong stomach may choose to look at the real MartinH under:

http://www.fff-database.com/asp/ps11/index.php?Event=20_061002A&subdir=102&Lang=1&HC=1&action=GETNUM

My start number was 436
  • Options
    Martin most of us would have given it up as a bad job, well done for even finishing let alone a reasonably good time.
  • Options
    Martin,

glad to hear you persevered and finished. Sorry to hear that conditions were so atrocious though. I recently did a training run before Berlin, where I seemed to get a mild case of hypothermia too as according to Deborah I was going a bit blue at the end. It is not a fun experience at all.

About the event though, what was the organisation like and the numbers? If the start is in Switzerland and the finish is in Austria what happens if you're staying near the start do you get bussed back or do you have to make your own way?

I am really quite interested in running this next year.
  • Options
    Martin
    Congrats on your stamina & perseverance (and your wisdom), hope the next one is dryer & (a bit) warmer.
  • Options
    It was but the missus soon warmed me up fnarr fnarr. :-)

Ahem... but seriously folks I must use the space blanket from the FLM for just such occasions.
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Time is excellent given how you felt.Well done with perservering.
    It looks like you did the training correctly (after all you finished in a respectable time) just on the day conditions conspired against you.
    Take a few rest days and move on to the next one. If its any consolation in the conditions you describe I probably would've run in a long sleeved wicking top as well (my usual winter 'long run' attire).

Whatever way you look at it you ran a marathon , Well done.
  • Options
    Well done Martin, I see the weather in the East of CH-land what about the same as we had in the West. Your can read the Morat Fribourg Report here, I was very indaequately dressed, but was only running for 1:21:08

Congrats again

SB
  • Options
    drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Martin, well done for finishing and finding something positive from what sounds like a very difficult experience.

Is there a chance that you were still suffering the after effects of your illness last week?

I think you deserve a well earned break from running (at least 2 days!)
  • Options
    Congratulations Martin, a good time under the circumstances for you and well done on perservering. The conditions sound really tough and the willpower to carry on when you're really struggling is as exhausting as the running itself. A real achievement.
    Well done & have a good rest.
  • Options
    Martin,

Been waiting for this report with a degree of anticipation!
    First of all, congratulations on completing your first marathon. Conditions sound like a real nightmare and you did well to get through.
    Knowing that you felt you had a bug in the week leading up to the marathon, it's tempting to conclude that that had some bearing on how you felt and performed. While running in freezing heavy rain is a truly miserable experience (Wirral 1/2M 1983 springs to my mind here), a feeling of unusual weariness and weakness shouldn't be part of it. How are you feeling today (apart from the stiffness I mean)?

Take it easy over the next few days. What is/are your next target(s)?
  • Options
    I too, have looked forward to reading this for some time. Like the best of novels, I guess real life doesn't always provide you with the ending you expect. Congratulations for seeing the positive side of it. First marathon? In that sort of time? Hmm.

Next target? Should have thought the comfy chair would provide a suitable goal for a week or three.

At any rate, enjoy being lazy with a clear conscience for a bit.
  • Options
    Thanks to all for the kind messages.

Parky - As this was my first marathon I have no basis for comparison but I think organisationally it was very good - with the exception of the finish where the facilities for cold/wet runners were very poor! (I saw a number of people in the same condition as me). The race starts in Germany and the finish is in Austria so the kit is bussed from the start to Bregenz. Overall I would recommend it - pre-race organisation was superb, lots of drinks stations and in warmer weather a definite PB course. E-mail me if you want to know more

Mike/Drew - Running in rain for that length of time is horrible both psychologically as well as physically. I don't feel too bad today - walking is a little tough but nothing I wouldn't have expected. I fairly sure the illness from last week was clear.

Stickless - Whats next? Well I may revise my plans slightly! My immediate plan is to have 2-3 weeks easy then start loking for a late April marathon. I also plan to do the LGT Aplin marathon in Leichtenstein in June 2003.
  • Options
    Martin,
    first of all congrats on finishing your first marathon, this is a monumental achievement. I'm really pleased to hear that you are planning on doing another, I think the distance is addictive! Sorry that the weather was so atrocious but I think you showed serious dedication to just keep going and not throw in the towel regardless of how tough it became. This is definitely character-building stuff!!!

I notice you mention an April marathon, any chance we can tempt you to come to FLM???
  • Options
    Forgot to mention I enjoyed seeing your race pictures, though a little disappointed to see you weren't wearing a red cap!
  • Options
    MM - character building stuff indeed! (isn't that what they used to call the cane at school by the way?). I might be tempted by the FLM if it had 25,000 less runners! I've just remebered that I'm doing the "tunnel lauf" on 30 March (28k) and am desperately keen to do the LGT on 14 June so I think 30 April - 14 May is the likely window. Any suggestions?

Laura - I'm glad you like the photo's, they are rather flattering as they make me look like a real runner! Unfortunately the uniform and cap were at the cleaners.
  • Options
    Just been looking at your results, courtousy of Datasport, You were really well placed and a final pos of 491 out of 1140 men well done mate.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Martin well done for getting through your first marathon in rather difficult conditiions. It's good that you feel positive about some aspects of the marathon and that you aren't put off entering another.

• Options
    Good job Martin - good time, well up the field and you're being positive about the experience. Photographs do lie after all! You'd never know how much you were suffering by looking at them.
    Well done!
    richK
  • Options
    Well done MH, and sorry you had such a miserable experience for your first, believe me there'll be others that will go like a dream from start to finish.
  • Options
    Fabulous MH !

Great job - you should be very pleased .... real determination got you through very well.

My first one is in 3 weeks time (Venice) ... fingers crossed ... still seems a very, very long way.
  • Options
    Many congratulations on finishing at all, in those conditions. Your time sounds fantastic to me, but even if it had taken you twice as long it was a real test of character to see it through to the end. Well done :)
  • Options
    Well done MH - when's the next one?