Options

Sunday 15th September 2013

The sky is crying the streets are full of tears
Rain come down wash away my fears

A classic song for a rainy day.
Besides which, this one has certain poignancy for me, recalling my first proper girlfriend. She's married now, but not to me.

I suppose that a swim is in order tonight.
(Yes. I was chicked yesterday. I only salvaged pride on the bike by one minute. In all other disciplines and transitions I came second)

Comments

• Options

Morning.

You guys are great - thanks for the support. There's a long version of the story - which I may well inflict on you later but we didn't get home until midnight (had to wait for Mark to finish image and we're leaving today so lots to do and I'm a little tired.

Swim - slower than the practice and training indicated but I think there are a couple of excuses. Got in and did my warm up swim then we had to be out 15 minutes before the official start so I took my inhalers then. Called back into the water and held for ages and I was already getting cold though the water temp was 19+. Roughest swim start I've been in especially considering the small field and I decided to take no chances and stay out of the way. The wind was strong enough to give us waves at a few points round the lake! Out of the first loop and feeling and ok, jumped back in from the pontoon and off again and swam straight into the majority of the HIM field who it seemed were like a mass of migrating seals and all intent on swimming off to the right despite the first buoy being straight ahead and sighting really easy! Difficult to fight my way through, over and under and I was getting cold but was relaxed and swimming ok. Disappointed with my time.

Long run into T1 where I made the decision that saved my day and for the first time ever in a race I wore a rain jacket - over my Monaco and arm warmers. Set off on the bike and the course was awful, really technical and rough. A few km in I rode through a huge number of bottles and a few rear bottle holders and realised it was that the path was so rough. Despite the difficult course, rain and wind I was flying and was on for my sub 6 bike split until I punctured just after 110km. Now I can change a tyre but I struggle to get it back on as I'm not strong enough. I wanted to finish this race though so had the inner tube out in no time, had to use a CO2 to partially inflate it (long story about storage on the Shiv meaning I had no pump). Mark passed me after about 20 minutes and was going to stop but I told him to race his race - it wouldn't be fair otherwise. Eventually got the tyre on and reinflated with my last CO2 but then found that the inner was bulging out of the side of the tyre so had to let most of the air out again. Decided to try to ride to the next aid station in the hope they'd have a track pump and I could get enough pressure in to finish (there was no mechanical support on course). Riding slowly on my flat tyre Harry from Antwerp came past and asked if I needed a pump - again I waved him on and told him to race and he continued then stopped and waited for me saying 'what's one minute, I've had two flats already' and proceeded to use his tiny hand pump to inflate my tyre. So now I was on a tyre that rode like a 50p piece with about 45psi in it rather than the 100 minimum I usually have - and the brakes were rubbing and the frame if I tried to stand up and pedal. Eventually made it to the next aid station but not before the weather had turned. It had been windy and raining most of the day but this was gales and torrential rain. Most of the aid station had been blown away - but they didn't have a track pump anyway. Such was the strength of the wind that I couldn't take my hands off the bars to eat for the last 60km. I knew that I really needed to but short of stopping - and I wasn't doing that - I just couldn't. Final aid station didn't have a track pump either. Shipped my chain twice riding into the worst of the wind along and exposed dyke and it jammed the first time but I was determined to sort it.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options

Bike computer was out but it didn't matter - I don't think I was going very fast anyway and riding the tight turns, rough paths, and slick surfaces through the forest was a bit like being at the fair on one of those white knuckle rides with the handling of the bike and lack of braking!

This is turning into the long version isn't it. I think it's a bit like therapy image

Anyway - as you know I did eventually make it in from the bike (115 miles later according to Mark's Garmin) and grabbed a bar to eat in T2. It was so cold and I was soaked through - bike jacket and all. Desperately under fuelled and looking forward to my Power Bar vanilla gel at the first aid station. I have always carried my own gels but we'd been told that the bike and run course would have them so I'd tried them in training and quite enjoyed them - well, as much as one can enjoy a gel. Running well off the bike and feeling good - didn't think I'd quite keep the pace up but was happy - until I got to the aid station to be told that 'gels are off'. I was left with not very flat coke and a 2" piece of banana for fuelling (I can't eat the currant buns and Power Aid drink makes me instantly sick). A little put out by this but hey, aid stations are every 2.2k and the next one is bound to have some right? Wrong. Aid stations were not every 2.2k and there were no gels on the course. I passed Mark and finished my first lap - which is also when I realised that the run course would be long. As I became more hungry and tired and realised that there was no way I could PB I'm afraid to say that I pretty much lost the will to put myself through it and started to run/walk. It was only on lap 2 that I warmed up enough to take my jacket off. More running than walking and when I was running I was doing ok until lap 3 when I began to wobble a little. I just couldn't take in enough calories but I was damn well going to finish this thing - and as you know I did. To be fair I was struggling to raise a smile even going over the line and I expect some of the photo's of me on the way round will not be the usual 'Little Miss Happy'!

Over the line and no asthma issues as I hadn't sprinted at the end so I was surprised to be grabbed by a volunteer and a medic and carted off to the medical centre - apparently I was 'too cold' so wrapped in a space blanket, laid on a space blanket, covered with a space blanket and with an ordinary blanket on top I was fed vegetable bouillon. Eventually I was able to talk myself out and enjoy some of the after race buffet - chips! - whilst waiting for Mark .

• Options

Not happy with my performance but pleased with my fortitude. The third woman in my age group was only ten minutes in front of me and maybe I could have caught her if I'd known and had an incentive but to be honest I'm not sure given the lack of calories. I think it says something about the conditions and possibly the bike course that 423 people started the race and only 336 finished.

Need to decide where to go from here - but not today image

• Options

Well done chook! I am really proud of you image chill out today you deserve it!

• Options

Smashing report LMH, I think you did brilliantly, especially given the extra challenges.

• Options

LMH - I don't know what to say. A lot of positives to be taken on a day when luck didn't favour you. One thing for sure - you've earned the Iron tag!!! Well done. Relax now and there's plenty of time tom think about the next one. You must have been freezing.

Cycled 90 miles yesterday - A to B against a slight breeze. The thoughts of running a marathon after that - Impossible. Reading LMH's story however  - maybe. Need to talk to Mrs P!!!

An easy jog today. 

• Options

LMH - wow, well done, a tough day but you finished which is fantastic. Rest and recover well

• Options

I really think that once you've put the training in it's 70% mental Paddy. If you want it you can get it - barring mechanicals. I can honestly say that there were times yesterday when I knew that I must be nuts. I was very, very cold at times but then found that warm hypothermic place image

Have just cleaned the bike ready to pack and there is a 4" section where the tyre is off both sides of the rim - no wonder braking and handling were err, compromised. The only way that got me through 70km was divine intervention and willpower!

Yesterday's lyrics by the way - even more apt than I thought first thing - Stupid Girl by Garbage.

• Options

ace report! too bad about the puncture and the lack of fuel but you bloody well did it and in a great time nontheless image

now rest up and eat eat eat image

• Options

super stuff lmh  well toughed out
    If I needed a reminder as to why I don't tri, that was it...oh and I can't swim either...

what - hopefully an hour later
    why - last track meet for the juniors, so won't have time for a long run.
    last rest - Thursday
    last hard - Tuesday

lyric - nope

• Options

Well toughed out lM.h imageimageimage

We watched you come over the finishing line.

Excellent report too (but I thinlk I'll skip the promised long versionimage )

What: morning with 3 of offspring in Edinburgh then drive down to Keswick
    (son was planning cycling same trip today but wisely decided against!)
    Weather: dreich
    Last Hard: realising we've left our race numbers at home for Saturday image
    (time for some humble begging to "Rocket" Rod Berry RO)
    Lyrics: no

(Scottish/Orcadian) WotD: WABBIT

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

LMH - you're the best hurdler I know, no matter how big they are too ! Quiiting lasts for ever and you had more reasons to than most would look for - any you still kept going !

• Options

Awww, thanks guys.

OH - yes, I think that was probably long enough. Hope you can sort the number situation out.

TR - I think that yesterday is going to turn into one of those experiences that I fall back on whenever things get tough - it was certainly epic at times.

• Options

Afternoon! Glad I'm not doing a triathlon in this weather image. Well done LMH: lots of positives to take from the experience, and the negatives you couldn't do much about!

What: a gentle couple of k.
    Why: man flu. (Actually I suspect it is allergy related: have managed to avoid most of the dust from the house refurb, but this weekend haven't been able to. Heading in the right direction as yesterday I couldn't have managed anything.

Hope you went well at the Vic 5, RFJ.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Great report LMH,

My report will not be as good for Victory 5....

Victory 5 - Who stole my legs..... well that will be the Test Way Relay leg 8 from yesterday then. Went to bed tired, woke up even more tired and aching.... A warm up didn't ease the aches too much so knew from the out set that going sub 30:30 was going to be hard.
    1m - 6:16 - A busy start aided with the wind behind up, already losing ground and relegated to 5th team runner (last week I was 2nd)
    2m - 6:22 - Tried pushing on, but no gears to move up, stuck in 3rd with no clutch or drive in the legs, lost a few places.
    3m - 6:24 - Starting to have a battle of wills now as really want to give up, bizarrley start passing runners, and this helps me....
    4m - 6:22 - Back into the wind now and really finding it a struggle, and now think that not even going to beat last weeks hilly 5m time... this course is FLAT...
    5m - 6:13 - Something in the bank or just sheer guts and determination to finish and not get passed too much... get taken 3 times but get other places and this helps the pace.

31:39 - 11 secs slower than last week, but with dead and unresponsive legs I am happy.

Jnr PB'd with 28:46, and Mrs RFJ did her first race back after 8 months out in 47:47 without stopping image

Hard day at the office.....

• Options

Well done LMH, epic race report! image  Good going RFJ, 11 seconds is nothing at all!

15 miles for me this afternoon. The course rises to over 1000 feet so the wind up there was horrific.  I had a downhill mile on the way home but the wind was so strong directly in my face that it was 9:05.  Finished in 2:02 or so.  

Lyrics - don't think so but they kinda ring a bell.

• Options

Wow, LMH, that was one epic day at the office! Yes. I think that you will probably recall the day with a certain wry smile, and draw on it when times get tough. Like they say, it's not a knitting club.
    I wonder if you'll be writing down a list of things to change for your next outing? Such as don't rely on the organisers. Practice tyre changes. Remember those things that you got right too, like the coat (my mistake), the hydration (you didn't mention it, so it was OK).

RFJ, 31:39 on dead legs? I think that I'd take that for a 5 miler.

Paddy: This time next year there's a suitable event for you. Catch the ferry to Fishguard and a short drive. You're possibly closer than I am. Entries have just opened for IM Wales.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

LMH - good stuff, one for the mental locker.

RFJ - it was a bit breezy down here today, I was batting into it a bit on my bike this morning, it got really winsy this afternoon.

Blisters - did you get the boss to watch the CH4 coverage of last weekend at Tenby, are you in ?

• Options

Little Miss Happy - you are one tough cookie! Well battled!

Blisters - congrats on your IM performance too.

RFJ - nice work, congrats to Jnr and Mrs RFJ!

What: 13km easy with Mae.

5km Cornwall Parkrun Saturday - some very muddy sections - 24.15 - age grading - 81.17%.

• Options

Blisters - Believe it or not I have been looking at that one. And I live near Rosslare!!. There is one in Killarney also in August - Its a toughish cycle but a lake swim - I like the thought of a lake swim though if I'm to enter this theatre of madness.

RFJ - Decent effort.

LMH - Again, well done for getting to the end. Once you got out of the water you weren't going to give in (other than issues out of your control). The time mightn't be what you wanted but in yourself you should be very happy that you got through that yesterday.

• Options

Evening again!

Hi NZC: sounds like your running is going pretty well! I noticed your parkrun result and meant to comment. I also noticed that there is a second parkrun in Auckland now, also. Sounds a faster course. What racing plans do you have? Is it O'Hagan's season shortly?!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options

TR, I may have to work on the reverse psychology approach.

The World Tri in London was enough to make her go eeurgh, merely at the thought of a swim in the Serpy. Don't get me wrong, my wife is not unfit, it's just that organised sport doesn't float her boat, neither participating, supporting, nor armchair. She's hoping that I'll "get it out of my system". I have to maintain the mantra of aiming to Complete, not Compete.

Anyway, an hour's swim training for me tonight. Quads a bit tight to start with.

• Options

Evening all

What Nowt
    Why Family day out
    Lyrics no

LMH Given your build up and all the issues earlier in the season that was a brilliant effort.

Went to cardiff on a family outing and back via my mums for tea so no chance of an LSR. Off work on Tuesday so will hopefully fit it in then.

• Options

Lyrics today: Hand in Hand by Dire Straits from their classic Making Movies album.

• Options

Alehouse - yes, I think the other Parkrun is a faster course, but too far away from me to get to.

O'Hagan's has started again, but haven't run it yet.

I will probably hope to "complete", (as Blisters says), the Auckland marathon 3 Nov. I ran 29km not yesterday, but last Sunday, but that is as far as I've gone so far. I should have tried 32km yesterday, but have a bit of a dodgy left leg, so decided to be careful instead.

I've just applied for my "Roadster" number for the Auckland marathon - if you've run 5 of them you get a special number, and don't have to worry about not being able to get in.