Options

Friday lunchtime Six Physio Q&A

13»

Comments

• Options

Hi,

I keep getting recurring calf strains. Got the first one during the Oxford Half Marathon, at about the 10 mile mark, but battled on through. I rested for about 3 weeks, doing stretches etc, started running again last week, did 3 miles, 4 miles then a 10K. All fine... went out last night in the cold and it went after 1 mile. any idea what to do about this? I've got a place in the London Marathon and a half scheduled for Feb, but want to try and get this sorted out..

Thanks

Matt

• Options

I think you did too much too quickly when you restarted. Three weeks is about right for a calf strain. You have to rest up and do the same again but this time when ready to run do a couple of short runs of 2/3 miles to start with in week 1 and then 3/4 miles week 2.Probably not what you want to hear but unless you take it easy, it will not get better and you wont be able to do your training for London.  

• Options

can you still cycle or should it be no exercise at all. I usually cycle to work.

Cheers

• Options

Yes cycling should be ok but it will work the calf a bit so take it easy but you can cross train ie rowing, swimming etc. Do lots of calf stretches and also stretch the tendons that run across the bottom of your feet by getting a tennis or golf ball (more painfull) and working the bottom of your feet over it. Sit on side of bed, put a pencil on the floor and use your toes to pick it 6 inches of the floor. drop it and repeat 5/6 times, this will loosen the tendons too.

good luck.

• Options

Hey,

I'm supposed to be training for the marathon and I have a knee injury. I've been out for about 5 weeks and although I'm keeping up my fitness (pilates, stretching, swimming and walking) the pressure is on to get back running and get my miles up. I've been seeing a physio who has helped with getting my orthotics for my shoes and giving me lots of strengthening exercises, but I was wondering if there was anything that could help my knee a little quicker? Acupuncture or Reiki or something like that. I can feel it's on the mend but I just need to quicken the heeling process. Any ideas?

• Options
    Hi Helen

You can't actually speed up a healing reaction - you've got to do as much as you can do to prevent it slowing down.

At a guess you may have an issue with the way your kneecap sits on the front of your thigh. Keeping the aligment is key - the better your aligment, the quicker you'll.

Taping the knee cap can be pretty affective as an adjunct. The only rule is that it must decrease your pain - or improve your control.
  • Options

Thanks. I'll give the taping a go.

Helen