Options

Going solo

In a few weeks I'm going to work in an isolated region where I will have no opportunities to race, and (almost definitely) nobody to train with for a year. Last time I did this I let my running slide. This time around I'm determined to come back running PBs.

So: Any suggestions for a progressive training programme to keep the motivation up?

I've just built up to 30 mpw over the last 2 months after 3 months off. Current PBs off erratic low milage (<20) training 5k 19:26, 10k 39:37, Marathon 3:29

Was thinking so far of:

Building up milage to about 50
Progressive speed sessions
Working on Lactic threshold
Staying in email contact with current training partners back home.....

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Well you've got the forum haven't you? No races is a bit of a downer, but you've got a watch, and lots of forumites to snap at your heels.

Post your goals and intentions on training, and oh yes, we'll watch and see if you slack off.

Barring one real training partner with whom I have run about 5 times, I have always trained alone, and run maybe 7 or 8 races a year, most of those entirely on my own as well (I'm slow). Sometimes training/running can be pretty solitary stuff even in the middle of a city.

Have fun planning. The only suggestion I would make is in the absence of races to prepare for, how about concentrating on one area for improvement for a month or two, then on another, and then taking a recovery period. Maybe once you have a few general goals "to have been achieve at some point during the year of solitary confinement" it might be an idea to play it a little bit by ear.
  • Options
    Or are you going to be that isolated that you are off the web?
  • Options
    Buy a HRM - mine is a great training partner. And the John L Parker book to go with it - Heart Monitor Trainig for compleat idiots. Some good ideas in there for motivation and training plans.
  • Options
    Off the web I'm afraid. Might get a fix once every month or two. Emails possible but only over (pretty unreliable) HF radio.

Thanks for suggestions though. I run a lot on my own as it is, but at least it's in a nice relaxing environment with some peace and quiet. From January the only place I can run will be along the town mainstreet (dirt track), with a rather bemused audience. I can add interest to speed sessions by dodging small children and goats!
  • Options
    I have a HRM, but have hardly used it at all. Maybe now is a good time to start. Might get some interesting readings when I run into rowdy soldiers, snakes...

• Options
    Wow- what an interesting dilemma, trying to think what I would do in the circumstances, maybe some outlandish Rocky style log pulling to build up strength, it would be good to come back with an excellent physique and win the Coal Race at Gawthorpe.

I picture you rather like that film where Bette Midler is held hostage in a cellar with only redundant gym equipment to occupy her and she becomes super fit and slender- not that you aren't already you understand.
  • Options
    Good plan Monique - I should bring lots of films like Rocky, Chariots of fire etc. along, and watch them every time I start feeling tempted to turn into a couch potato.
  • Options
    hmmmm

i'd make sure i still had a long term goal & short term goals on the way there.

in your case the long term goal could be a certain speed or endurance target or a specific race on your return.

short term goals would have to be aiming towards the long term one, but much more self-motivated.

PS where ever are you off to ? !
    PPS garmin forerunner has a 'virtual training partner'!
  • Options
    Morning Emer - so it's all happening then!!

My meagre contribution - improve on your short dstance running / speed (I'm all too aware of how fast you can be!)- I'm sure there must be a football pitch somewhere that you can use to train around rather than heading off into the wilds.

Are you at the club tomorrow to tell more?
  • Options
    Andy - no football pitches as far as I could tell, but I'm hoping some of the local staff will come up with venue suggestions for me.

Ed M - a town in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo.
  • Options
    So no experts out there on which factors in running lend themselves best to year-long target setting and how to go about building a training programme around them then?

Better do some research then I suppose.
  • Options
    i'm pretty sure you could spend a year targetting anything.. from becoming a 5k speed merchant to blow everyone out of the water on your return... to becoming an ultra-distance endurance expert..
  • Options
    OK then, I'll be a 5k speed merchant please.

Can't do long races fast without doing short ones fast.
  • Options
    Hi emer,

I live abroad (rural north Iceland) and do nearly all my running solo - there is a running club here, but there is a distinct element of fun lacking from the participants, and they do pretty much the same route every week, so I tend only to meet up with them occasionally (although it is good for me, as they are all very fast).

I manage to motivate myself pretty well in terms of going out running - being in very rural environment it's fascinating to watch the seasons change, and landscape with it. my mielage has definitely increased because I'm a nosy git and it's gret to explore...

To keep my speed up ... a HRM is pretty essential, I usually follow some sort of training programme 'sub 40 minute 10k' or whatever, even if I don't have a race planned. I usually just 'run for fun' for a few weeks after finishing one progreamme, then start the next training programme - I'm working on my swimming a lot as well, which is a nice change from running.

I use the forums for advice and inspiration and (and I hope this doesn't make me sound like a sad stalker) I have picked out a couple of forumites of a similar standard to me, of a similar age and running background (they don't know who they are) and monitor their progress closely, trying to do better than them in training and the rare racing that I do. A sort of one-sided virtual competitiveness. Sad, but it works!

I was really worried tht I would start to slow down if I trained by myself, but the HRM keeps me on my toes, and I was really suprised to get a marthon pb a year after moving here, and having run only two race (both 10ks) during training. There aren't a lot of races here, and many are a day's drive away. It's good to have a race to aim for, even it is months and months away (next race for me could well be FLM!)

Sometimes the weather is a bit rubbish here, but I have a turbo trainer, which helps a lot when I can't get out!

Eeek, rambling now - hope this helps!
  • Options
    LizzyB - thanks for the response. Shame I won't have forum access, to join your 'stalking' activities :-) Think I'll dig up some 5k/10k training programmes.

Ed M - just figured out what a garmin Forerunner is. I want one!! Or any speed and distance monitor. Cheaper the better, as long as it's accurate. Now you've got me internet shopping rather than finishing my dissertation which is due in 3 days.....
  • Options
    bit hard to get hold of at the moment emer.. wait till the fuss has died down.
  • Options
    No mail order in Congo Ed M - it's now or never. Doesn't have to be garmin forerunner - anything similar, but older, and thus less a target of fuss, will do!