Options

Boxercise for x-training

I thought it would be a good idea to do a Boxercise class. Well, there wasn't much boxing more hard core cercuit training 1 minute/per station and 5-10 seconds recovery.

The next day my muscles are hurting and two days later it still hurts, more painful then running a marathon.

Not sure if I should be doing this kind of training at all. I guess it gives you strength, but it's not good if I have to take two days off to recover from such a session.

I also tried press ups, but I am not able to do more than 15 in one set.

Should I simply not bother and stick to running only?

Comments

• Options
    I do Boxercise and it's the best! If you stick at it, the aching thing will pass, and it's worth the effort. It's given me fantastic upper body strength and lots of stamina. So, if you can get past that initial torture, I'd say go for it! Oh, and the press ups get easier...
  • Options
    I think it's worth it for overall strength and endurance, tho' I don't specifically do boxacise, more the circuits, but do enjoy packing a punch with the gloves every now & then. Upper body work will also help your abs/core stability which will help your running. No harm in using other muscles than those used for running to keep your overall fitness up while avoiding overuse injuries. I've never been over-keen on too much kicking tho' in case I inadvertently do something in the knee area, but that's probably just me not feeling I'm in full control of my kick.
  • Options
    I did squat jumps and thought I would pull a muscle. Quickly changed to jumping jacks instead :) Not sure if this is right type of exercise as you can ruin all your running within seconds.

Very strange, I can manage rowing very fast, but I am hardly able to do a few press ups.
  • Options
    I dare say boxercise is worth doing if you want to meet women, if you want to get fit then why not just go to a boxing gym - it's probably cheaper too.
  • Options
    I take the Fred Trueman view abou fast bowlers and injuries. In his day, bowlers got fewer injuries than now because they didn't have time to `train' - they were bowling 6 days per week.

I think it's the same with running. The best way to improve your running is to run. Do the other stuff if you enjoy it or get bored running too much but I wouldn't see it as an equal alternative.
  • Options
    A while ago I read about plyometrics so I thought it would be a good idea to add some strength. Not, sure I think it was an article about Deena Drossin. She devotes 8hrs a week to plyometrics.

Got incredible back pain from the Boxercise and the arms still hurt like hell from the press ups. Playing squash or indoor five-a-side has a same effect, short quick movements. Will stick to spinning and swimming, is better for legs.
  • Options
    I've started going Tae Kwon Do one evening a week as an alternative form of fitness. I don't for a minute think it will help me run faster but it does exercise other muscles and it is good fun.
  • Options
    I attend a kick Aerobics class and find that it complements running very well. I would say though that I agree with BR the best way to improve your running is to run.
  • Options
    I think Popsider should have a go at the Boxercise class I go to! It's not 'one for the girls' as he seems to be indicating; it's tough. And besides, I often find myself out-punching/kicking/skipping/press-upping/crunching the boys. So there!
  • Options
    I think it depends on what you're aiming for, what you enjoy & what your current running standard is, URR. Undoubtedly, more running will lead to better running as BR says, but I'm not an elite runner & at the moment more running for me would only lead to a repetition of last winter's training mistakes which ended up in injury, so I supplement the running with things like circuits etc to try and increase overall fitness/endurance etc while increasing mileage separately. As with any new sports regime, you risk injury by using new muscle groups if you go at it hell-for-leather, but I'd say the bottom line is if you don't enjoy it & don't feel it'll benefit you, then don't do it. (Mainly blokes in my class too, AP).