Options

paces per breath

Hi folks

I am trying to find a Runner's World article that I read about 6-8 months ago. I think it was in the Warmups section, and gave a handy rule-of-thumb for how to assess your pace. As far as I can remember, it suggested that you can assess pace by looking at the number of paces per breath, so that 4 paces per breathing cycle (i.e. in-out) would be a comfortable training pace; 2 paces per breathing cycle is more of a sprint.

I have recently started running again after having a baby, and am running with a beginner; I was trying to tell her about this article on pace and would like to be able to show it to her.

Can anyone please let me know which month's Runner's world this article appeared in, and how can I get a copy (either electronic or otherwise) of the article?

Many thanks
Jane

Comments

• Options
    Sorry Jane not sure which one but I'm not sure that it is a good thing to link your breathing rate with your stride rate. It doesn't just depend on how hard you are working but also the size of your lungs, the amount of air you take in, the oxygen content of the atmosphere, the length of your stride (which will change going up or down hill) etc. Far better to breathe naturally/subconsciously as you do with everything else I think - although I know others disagree.
  • Options
    Yeah, I think it's a personal thing. I do use it to regulate my speed to some extent, particularly on long ones, but a 2 paces per cycle would only happen if I were near death (if you mean left-right-left-right = in-out-in-out).
  • Options
    Swerve,

I would say that is one stride per breath and that is working VERY hard!!

I tend to be aware of my breathing pattern and find that 3 strides per breat is a good training pace, 2 is closer to a tempo run whereas 3-4 is more like base training level.

Of course you might find yourself in between these by having 3 in and 2 out for instance.

I have used it before as a pace judgment but it is a personal thing.