Options

Garmin Forerunner

Comments

• Options
    Tracklogs came into it's own today. I went for a run through the woods and lost the signal for quite a while. In Tracklogs, I could adjust the downloaded route and mark out where I really went, rather than the perfect straight lines that the Forerunner guessed.

5.2 miles on the Forerunner, 5.6 miles after adjustments in Tracklogs!
  • Options
    Ive run an official 10k before that came out as 6.71 miles???? I thought that if something went wrong with the signal its gonna do the straight line thing and give a shorter distance, but no. Any explanations?

Just got my own PC so I cant wait to start downloading my runs.
  • Options
    At one point I obviously thought I was on for a wicked time only to find I had another half a mile to run!?!
  • Options
    Are there any pitfalls in buying a 201 from the USA?
    I've seen them on ebay for reasonable money.

Has anyone experience good or bad?
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    import duty is a pit fall. Can be muchos costly I believe.
  • Options
    yeah it can be expensive ask Coleen McLoughlin (Wayne Rooney's girlfriend) !!!
  • Options
    I got mine from the UK off ebay from someone who obviously imports them from the USA as its got the wrong plug on it and came with a massive AC converter. It takes longer to charge than it states in the manual, like 24hrs, but it lasts and does the job. Didnt get a data cable with mine, but then I'm not sure you do anyway.

You can get them for £152.99 off Wiggle.co.uk without the worry.
  • Options
    look back though the thread guys. many of us got them from the States at around £100 inc. shipping and tax.
  • Options
    You can get them from the UK for just under £130, or like OB said, it is possible to get a US one for about £100 all in.

Wookie, the data cable does come with the unit.

Ran the Kenilworth half today. Gave me 13.3miles for the 13.1mile course.

When I imported the run into memory-map, it showed a few wayward points, and these are part of the reason for the extra 0.2 miles. Also, it's unlikely you'll run the shortest distance round the course - so this will make up the rest. Anyway, it was a great asset for pacing myself. First time I've used it in a race and I'm glad I spent the money on it.

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    You pays yer money and you take your choice I suppose but..price ain't everything. My 201 conked out after 9 months and Global Positioning Systems (based in Cleveland UK) replaced it without fuss. That is 1st class service. I would be interested to know what would happen if a foreign sourced unit went wrong.

Caveat Emptor and all that.

PS.. I promise I don't work for GPS!
  • Options
    danielp...I have a small v shaped unit about 6/7 inches off the claspy/bracket bit thats used for charging with a spare round connection bit in it. Is this what your data cable plugs into. I dont have one. Sorry not that computer savvy. Do you know if you just get them from Garmin or on the cheap from a PC shop.
  • Options
    My data cable plugs into the bracket bit into a hole next to the hole where the charging jack plugs into it. I don't have a separate unit coming off the bracket.

Wardi - that's where I bought mine from. good to know that the support's there if I need it.

• Options
    Found my data cable, still in the box, didnt realise. Ha! Downloaded all the software and my data. The data looks quite erratic in places though. Which setting for Pace Smoothing are people using, and does this make a difference to the way its later presented on the PC.

So Very Tired- whats this tracklogs thing you mentioned?
  • Options
    Wookie - it's mapping software, which you can download your runs into. Or you can draw a route in it and upload it to your Foreunner, so you can navigate your way around.

There's a free demo on www.tracklogs.co.uk
  • Options
    Ive tried downloading the free demo software but I just get a blank map with unlicensed written in it. Ive keyed in the license keycode but somethings not working, any ideas?
  • Options
    Wookie - you did download some maps, didn't you? There are 3 available areas, each at two different scales.

Most of the UK will show up as 'unlicensed' - you'll need to click on the bit(s) on the map of the UK with a red square round them.
  • Options
    INteresting comment made by someone on the 'GPS Watches' thread, reckoning that the Timex GPS system is nearly 10 times as accurate as the Garmin.

I don't think so - anyone care to add comments to that thread? (The more informed, the better, as I'm not 100% sure of my facts!)
  • Options
    Just downloaded my first run into Tracklogs and for some reason it says it took me 2 hours to do 6.5 miles. I've also downloaded the same run into the Forerunner Logbook and it told me the correct time (59 mins). Is there something I should have done to set it?
  • Options
    I ran the Copenhagen marathon wearing Graham together with a guy wearing Timex. His Timex lost signal just a few times less than my Garmin and I put that down to the Timex being worn on the upper arm as we already know that makes a difference. The results weren't too far apart.

I read somewhere that a lot of GPS's (and possibly including Timex) use Garmin technology.
  • Options
    oops - I see my point had already been raised in the other thread. I think we're right SVT.
  • Options
    Timex definitely use Garmin GPS - it says Garmin on the arm receiver.
  • Options
    A.Plodder - the time in Tracklogs is just an estimate. Go to Options/Algorithms/Naismith and you'll see where the estimate comes from.
  • Options
    Well I cracked and have ordered a 201 from sporttek, it should arrive tomorrow.

Looking back through the threads someone posted how to charge via USB - given USB also has send/receive lines has anyone tried to make up a combined charger/data USB cable? I'm emigrated to Australia next year so the fewer UK style power bricks I need to take, the better.

Paul
  • Options
    USB does have xmit/receive, but they are for USB signals, not RS232 signals. You'll need to carry on using the serial cable or plug in a usb-serial adapter device.
  • Options
    Thanks SVT, I checked out the Options/Algorithms/Naismith and apparently I was in the setting for Hill Walking. Now I've put in my (admittedly, very slow) running speed it's been pretty accurate. Still not sure about the "+mins for ascent/descent" though but don't think that matters too much - I'll just have to make sure I only ever run where it's flat!!
  • Options
    Hmm, wonder what is in the adaptor.. might have to take mine apart.
  • Options
    A. Plodder - or just trust the time as recorded on your Forerunner!
  • Options
    Go-KLGo-KL ✭✭✭
    My birthday a few weeks back ensured I joined the Forerunner 201 club. Thought I would give it a few runs before giving an initial impression.

I immediately bought a USB serial adapter as I couldn’t face going round the back of the computer – although an embarrassing failure to put the serial plug into cradle properly saw me tearing my hair out thinking the thing didn’t work. So I had torch in one hand, serial port in another, trying to discern a serial port from a midi port or the endless unused ports I seem to have in my computer. Even then things are not great: if I forget to remove the serial adapter from the USB hub, my computer 100% refuses to boot up!

I also bought tracklogs for my local area – this works really well – although I haven’t worked out yet how to plan a route then upload it to my Garmin – Can’t seem to get my head round waypoints and the like.

I only ran once with it on my wrist – I like to wear watches loose on my wrist, which doesn’t really work with my Garmin. It now sits on my upper arm, which feels far more comfortable. I also get less weak GPS signals and means I can carry on using my Polar HR monitor, which I feel lost without.

My first few runs were a bit hit and miss as I was hitting the stop button every time I came to crossroads and I was confused as to why a 1 mile marker would flash at, say, 3.45m. I then read that pressing stop automatically generates a laptime, and that the autopause avoids this. I found that for the auto pause to come on I had to massively reduce my walking min/mile pace, which occasionally confuses Garmin when its pacing goes a bit funny. Personally I would like to be able to stop the watch without generating a laptime as I often stop my watch to run over long crossroads – an action that would restart the Garmin timer.

I was delighted that my 16 mile run I guessed purely on feel 5 years ago was measured as 15.96 miles by Garmin! I now rest easy in having not massively overestimated my mileage all these years!

I can also report it works superbly in Japan, where the map feature came into play for the first time, as my friends and I got lost in the Suzuka backstreets whilst out running. God knows where I may have been without Garmin.

All in all a great buy! I really think that it is a steal at the £115 I paid for it – the interface is just so intuitive and shows that a lot of thought has gone into making it an item for runners.

If I were to suggest improvements for future models they would be to smooth the pacing more – it does tend to wander all over the place; to have the option to turn the lap feature off when you press the stop button; an option to upload certain runs rather than every run stored on the Garmin (This may exist – haven’t worked out how…); the option to show pace/min and mph on the same screen; and to have USB rather than serial port.
  • Options
    Go-KL - I agree about the uploads. I've started deleting my history off the watch every week once I've transferred the data, just to avoid it taking hours next time.
  • Options
    Go-Kl £115 where from?????