Options

Royal Parks Ultra 2014

(Couldn't find an existing thread for this event ..) Does anyone know what date entries will open for this? The website just says November. How did it work last time? Do they email you with a heads up in advance if you register your interest? image

Comments

• Options

They're opening the entries towards the end of November.  If you have registered on the website you'll get an email when entries open.

• Options

Entries are open (although public places now sold out!) - I'm in image

• Options

I've had an email saying I'm in and payment received but I didn't enter my payment details as I had problems with website. So have emailed asking for clarification. So I may or may not be in.

• Options

So who got in?  Will be my 1st ultra so looking forward to it.  Wanted a fully supported city route as my first, rather than one out in the sticks where I would probably get lost!

• Options

I'm in. It's my first ultra too Aizxana.

• Options
    DazDaz ✭✭✭

can't believe they are charging £200.  I would never enter a race of that distance for anything over £50, on principle

Endurance Coach @ DazCarterFitness.com
    Elite Ironman, Ultra Trail Runner
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Wow that's getting up there with the most expensive race I've ever seen. There are loads of 50ks about for a lot less. My local one was 21 pounds last year.
  • Options

Good luck in your training Jelly baby image  I think I got an early bird price as I paid £100 - still a lot I agree!  But not all that much more than Brighton Marathon and cheaper than longer distance triathlons!  Did feel a bit worried putting the credit card details in though but luckily it is fairly local so at least no need to spend on accommodation.

I will do a cheaper local one one day when I am sure I will not get lost or have to carry vast amounts of water with me due to limited support!image

• Options
    DazDaz ✭✭✭

I don't think you can compare it to the cost of a (long-d) triathlon.  Far too many logistics and bodies to financially cover in a tri.

£100 wow what a bargain image

I wonder what the charity places are charging...?

Endurance Coach @ DazCarterFitness.com
    Elite Ironman, Ultra Trail Runner
  • Options

One out in the sticks? You mean trail running? Probably best stick with the likes of the Parks Ultra then, none of that horrible countryside to distract you

• Options

Have to agree it is expensive but for me it has a lot of plus points. I don't have to pay for overnight accommodation. Get to run past a fair few London landmarks, a good part of it is by the river so dead flat. It's my first ultra so the distance is right for me and the time of the year suits me. 

I looked long and hard to find something else but all where too far in distance or from home or too challenging for my first ultra. Or not quite the right time of year.

But next year..........

• Options
    Wouldn't want countryside gkd I mean fields, wildlife stunning views that mean you've had to run up a hill to see it. Nah who'd want that.........
  • Options

Yes the London landmarks are the big plus for me, not often you get to run closed roads in the city. 

Not trying to compare the costs/logistics of a tri with that of an ultra, but when you have forked out so much for tri's then at the end of the year, somehow, £100 doesn't seem like it will make much of a difference by now anyway *not looking forward to bill coming though now, having said that!*

Haha I meant as in if I were left to my own devices for 6+ hours with no signposts and few marshals, I would no doubt get totally lost! image SoI am happy this time to pay a premium for extra support and help!  I'm not saying I do not like the countryside, image most of my long training runs are trail and more than happy to do trail marathons/half's - it's just I know the routes well or they are very well supported.

• Options
    Hi, I am in too. It is my first ultra since more than 25 years. I was charged 100.

I am a runner from Austria and I am looking forward running in London! Will follow this thread. Maybe there is a group or a runner that I can meet for the race.

Best wishes, Franz
  • Options
    Hi all,

I try to keep this thread alive because for me the race is the big thing 2014. The nearest target is a half marathon training race on coming Sunday. I will keep you updated.

All the best

Franz
  • Options

Hi Franz,

good luck for your half.

I've got a half in Feb and one in March. 

Hoping to do the Thames meander in Aug and carry on training for the ultra in Oct.

I've been experimenting with back to backs. So this weekend I did 14 on sat and 13 on Sun. So far so good. Not planning on increasing the distance until May/June time.

I feel I could run a marathon on this training with a decent taper.

Hope everyones' training is going well.

• Options
    Hi all, how is running?

I have found a nice ad for our ultra in the Runners World, framed it and put it on the wall for motivational reasons.

All the best and keep on, Franz
  • Options
    Franz Wanzenboeck wrote (see)

I have found a nice ad for our ultra in the Runners World, framed it and put it on the wall for motivational reasons.

Like it Franz.

Still plodding away. Disappointed half I was planning was cancelled last weekend. 

• Options
    Hi FBJB, how is running?

I am Happy because I spent the weekend at the French Riviera and raced the Rock n Roll Nice 10 Miles du Carnaval. My finish time was 1:20:43. Fine racing conditions, bright sunhine, no wind, 16 degrees. Oh Boy, now I am back in the Austrian Winter!

Take care, Franz
  • Options
      Hi All,
    Today a half Marathon tune up race for Brighton Marathon with a nice PB. I finished 1:44:27 which means 4:57min/km. Around 2:30 min faster.   Furthermore, I signed in for the Country to Capital 45miler on January 17, 2015.
    Have fun with your races!
    Franz
  • Options

Well done on the half FW. I have  Fleet half weekend after next need to taper next week. 

• Options

Hi all, just wondering if anyone knows of any decent training plans for this? I've run a few marathons before so wondering if I should just tweak my usual training plan and add a few miles on to the longer runs. 

Really looking forward ward to this one!

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Have a look in the wannabe ultra thread just below this one image 

• Options

Thanks, the ladies' one doesn't seem too daunting so will stick that one on the fridge! Can't wait to get started now

• Options

Just over 20 weeks to go!!

Time to up the miles.

• Options

Exciting! My proper training doesn't start until end of June but trying to keep up the long runs at least so it's not too much of a shock to the system. 

Does anyone know if road shoes would be ok for the course as it seems to be half road and half trail?

• Options

I would say road show would be fine have done part of the course when I did the Thames meander and that's what I wore. Mainly tarmac paths on that stretch.

• Options

Hi to all road runners!

According to my calendar it is just 13 weeks to go!

I have divided the 20 weeks preparation in 5 cycles with 4 weeks each. One cycle has 3 weeks of increasing effort followed by a recovery week of 50% of usual training load.

In each effort week I have one long endurance run with 30min medium pace at the end, one medium long with medium pace, one long intervall run e.g. 3x 15min intervalls with 5min break and one run at near maximum effort (or a short race). If I like I can add one run at low pace on a fifth day. There is no big mileage to be run but the quality is high.

The planning is done by a professional running trainer. This is not cheap but very motivating. The pro says that when I want to run faster I have to train faster. To explain him why I left out the hard intervalls is no go.

Temperatures in Austria are also runner friendly this summer compared with the 3 months heat last year.

I wish you all good training with no aches!

Franz

• Options

Hello all

I've a last minute place for the RPF Ultra. I'm running Berlin which is 2 weeks before so going to take this steady. Has anyone done this one before??