Options

Top dog

2»

Comments

• Options

Wow, that's a great time for your mutt. I don't think I could risk mine at parkrun yet although I think he might break a record for the number of runners he could trip up !

He went for his first fell run yesterday, just a little 2.5 miles to start with. Hilly, muddy, plenty of heather and mud puddles, he loved it image

• Options

I'm thinking of taking my collie cross to a Cani-X event in December, she's quite happy running with me up to around 9 miles so far, so I think 5k will be easy enough.

Not tried a parkrun yet but quite fancy it

• Options

My doggy is doing great here in the Highlands. However because of the lousy rainy weather I decided to buy her a Tankie to run in and a coat for the ride in the car. She is almost 8 now and after our last 16 mile run in soaking wet weather she seeme a bit stiff for the very first time. So... I am going to try this for her.

I will let you know

• Options

Hi Running max, its may be not quite as wet here in the peak district but I have been thinking of some type of waterproof coat- She has a normal padded coat but a tankie now that sound good-

let me know how you get on with it and where you got it from- our dogs will be a similar size I think

• Options
    SeelaSeela ✭✭✭

Arf!

I've been ill this year, first of all with diabetes which resulted in cataracts so I went totally blind. Fortunately I have had both eyes operated on to remove the cataracts. The diabetes is now under control with twice daily injections of insulin, so I have re-started running. I've done 2 park runs recently and got my time down from 30:30 to 29:46. I think the second time would have been faster but we stopped to help an injured runner until a marshal arrived.

While I was ill Beans, a rescue Springer spaniel, joined us he is about 3 or so (actual age unknown) and completely bonkers. His best time for a parkrun is 26:20.

I'm getting on a bit, since I will be 11 next spring, but Bean and I, plus the two-legs are training to do the 20km route at the Stonehenge Stomp at the end of January.

• Options

@ running eye: the tankie finally arrived in the right sizing and it is great!! It is fluo yellow and has a two fold goal: visibility and dryness. She is absolutely fine wearing it and obviously loves staying dry since she shakes off less image I am not awaiting the Hurtta coat to see if that is also coat, but I am impressed by the tankie

@ seela: wow you went through a lot lately. Great that you have Bean now to keep you company on the runs!

• Options

Rm where did you order the tankie from? could do with one with all this rain

• Options

http://www.runpower.nl/images/271213_9.jpg

I bought this one from Equafleece.  Mind her legs image Black as were my shoes after the crossing of this water -)

• Options

The pooch is looking good in the tankie EM !

About 14 months ago my Springer Spaniel, Harvey who was 15 months at the time, had to have an emergency operation as he had perforated his stomach. In typical springer fashion this was because he ate anything and everything he good get his paws on. A few weeks after that he had to have another op on his cruciate ligament which he damaged when trying to jump a cattle grid, and failed. So for 12 months we have been nursing him back to full fitness and a few weeks ago I started to take him out for runs with me up in the Peak District. A few days before Christmas he lost his appetite  which is a sure sign there is something wrong. In to the vets we go and they thought it might be a gastric issue so they gave him some antibiotics. There was no improvement so we took him in again and within a couple of hours he was having his stomach cut open again as he had eaten a walnut and he couldn't pass it. All I can say is it's a good job he is insured !!

• Options

Maybe that's why I have put the weight on over Christmas - those bloody walnutsimage

Hope your springer gets well soon- we were in the vets on New Year's Day with our youngest dog- 1st run of the year before 9:00 and she was attacked by a mastiff while running in the peaks! Luckily not too bad and seems to be healing well- not a great start to 2014 though. 

She ran 1200 of my 1450 miles last year- aiming for 1500 with her this year-

• Options

Hope she is soon back out running. Whereabouts in the peaks were you ? I've been up Totley Moor and seen a chap with a staffie and a mastiff. Thankfully he put them on a lead but they were both muzzled and looked pretty nasty. What mutt do you have ?

• Options

Hi carterusm sorry for delay responding seem to have lost updates for this thread.

We were running behind the outdoor adventure center near the Fox House pub, adjacent to Burbage rocks.

I have two Weimaraner's but only run with the bitch on the longer runs as our dog is nearly 8 and although he can keep up on runs around 13 miles I think he prefers his bed next to the radiator at home!

I have done 200 miles this month every on with the younger dog-If my Garmin says I have done 200 she must have done alot more than that-I must attach my spare gps to her on a long run and compare the mileage

• Options

@ running eye: hahaha that is a good idea, I can do that as well because I always wonder what her mileage is during a run image

My doggy is keeping up great. I wonder if I take her on (part of) the ultra next month

• Options

A 20 mile run last week with spare garmin attached to her coat-

That showed just over 21 miles was expecting more but thinking about it a mile is a long way to gain by just running infront then back (+ chasing the odd squirel etc)

More impressive was some of her speed bursts quite a few around 3:40 m/m pace!!

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Ill have to attach the Garmin to my Whippet.

I don't think he'll manage 20 miles though.