Taking car keys on a race

I'm running in a 10k this weekend and have realised that I will need to take my car key with me on the run.

The key pocket in my shorts is much too small.

I was thinking of an elastic band, wrapping it round my wrist and holding it in my palm.

Comments

• Don't they have bag storage?  

• No, it's just a medim-sized 10k.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Tie it to the drawstring waist thingy.

Sorry if that's not very technical.
  • My local medium-sized races all have bag storage, even if it's just leaving your bag in a hall with everyone-else's.  

It's not secure, but no-one will know which bag contains keys to which car.

• If you're worried about leaving your key, get yourself a SIS gel belt. It comes with a small zipped pouch.

Put your keys in there and pop the pouch in the back of your shorts and you'll never notice you're carrying them.
  • XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

Like Millsy says...  Or a slight variation, that I've done before, is to tie it to one of your shoe laces...  But waist drawstring is probably a better idea if you have one.

• Waist drawstring sounds like it could be OK. I'll give it a test run before the weekend.

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

Another thing to consider, if you think you might do more events, is a SPI (Small Personal Item) Belt...  Think something like a money belt or bum bag...  But if you google it you should be presented with a fair few decent alternatives.  I have one and typically carry a phone, car key, small amount of cash, etc.

• TankDriver wrote (see)

Like Millsy says...  Or a slight variation, that I've done before, is to tie it to one of your shoe laces...  But waist drawstring is probably a better idea if you have one.

what do you do with tank keys?

• moof wrote (see)
    If you're worried about leaving your key, get yourself a SIS gel belt. It comes with a small zipped pouch.

Looks like I can fit my sandwiches in one of those belts.

• I've run with keys in my hand

Or left them behind a wheel

Or got a belt from Sports Direct ??5 (looks like a SPI belt but 1/5 the cost)

Or bunged them in my Hi5 belt.

Lots of options.
  • Does your car have an "emergency key" (a small piece of plastic that will open the door) that you could take with you on the run?

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

Mike -- If your car door can be opened with a small piece of plastic perhaps you could tell us which race you'll be doing and where you're planning on parking image

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    skotty wrote (see)
    TankDriver wrote (see)

what do you do with tank keys?

I've only driven a tank once and that was some time ago...  But as I remember there was just a start button, no key required image

• When I used to drive an old banger, I used to leave the car key in the exhaust pipe.

Or just leave the passenger door open. Daring them to nick it. They never did.

• I'm surprised the key does not fit in the pocket - I race in Nike dri fit shorts and the pocket is pretty small but manage to fit my blue inhaler into it which must be bigger than car keys and when I did GNR had my car key and inhaler in the pocket.

Perhaps you just need some new shorts?

• £2.50 gel belt with a small union jack pocket from Sweatshop.

• Just tie it to the drawstring of your shorts

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

all my nike dry fit running shorts have a back zip up pocket that would easily hold a car key. get some of those and you then have a piece of kit you will use again as well.

• Mobile phones are often smuggled into prisons without the use of a belt or pouch. You could use the same hiding place for the key; many runners will have vaseline on hand. Otherwise I second the SiS Gel Belt - I don't notice it

• I always tie mine into my shoe laces below the top set of eyelets, so the key won't come off if the shoe laces become undone. I previously lost a key that was in a pocket in my running shorts, so I won't take that chance again.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Mike M wrote (see)

When I used to drive an old banger, I used to leave the car key in the exhaust pipe.

Mike M wrote (see)

When I used to drive an old banger, I used to leave the car key in the exhaust pipe.

Also-ran wrote (see)

Mobile phones are often smuggled into prisons without the use of a belt or pouch. You could use the same hiding place for the key

These 2 solutions seem very similar image

• Do what I do and just take the car on the race. Less tiring.

• Do what Christopher Walken did with the watch in Pulp Fiction. Or failing that get a little race belt and stick in there. That's what I do.

• If you're gonna do what Christopher Walken did, try it on a training run first as it may affect your gait.

And you don't need to leave it up your 'ass' for five long years.
  • This is a nightmare on REALLY wet runs, where the keys need to be kept above chest height,

I'd swallow it, and then just wait for nature to take it's course. ...

• tie it to your shoe lace.

• Bury it in the ground near the car when no one's looking. Or hide somewhere under the car.