Options

The 2014 Ironman Training thread

Comments

• Options

5 hours on the bike, need to find some decent climbs somehow, quite flat around me for the most part

• Options

Sprint tri for me .... 1/2 marathon tomorrow !

• Options

Good going Meldy!

Crooky - how did you get on today? I was tempted to enter but decided to stick to my training plan instead.

I heard that the run was a bit of a bitch?

• Options
    Managed to do back to back 75 miles on the bike doing the IM Uk loop started at Leigh. Saturday was a bit more stop start but was a nice day and I enjoyed being back in Bolton and visited my old friend Sheep house lane. Today I just didn't want to do it but seemed to get into it as the ride progressed.

I like the new section a bit up and down to start but some fast section especially the drop from hunters back to eccleston. Hunters hill I didn't find too bad very similar to the first section of sheep house up to cattle grid.

All in all a successful trip

Here's a link to the Garmin file for today's ride which I think shouldn't have many mistake in but I guess we won't really know until race day!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/492960766

Pudge - no worries on not meeting up glad you got out thou.

Cookey - saw a fair few of the riders from Horwich today looked like everyone was enjoying.
  • Options

some good training going on here .

everyone taking advantage of a beautiful bank holiday weekend.....

ater yesterdays park run .had a really hilly 108 mile sportive...took my hubby with me and he was great until 75 miles and then he started to fade.but still managed all the final hills..just a bit slower.....

tomorrow I will do my first open water swim this year...normally done loads by now.......so the River Taff had better be nice in the morning

• Options
    Pudge wrote (see)

Good going Meldy!

Crooky - how did you get on today? I was tempted to enter but decided to stick to my training plan instead.

I heard that the run was a bit of a bitch?

Enjoyed it mate

finished in 2:29. Was well pleased with that but your right  the run up to the pike was hard work

• Options

Hi All

First time poster!

I am doing my first Ironman in 5 weeks and I am currently on my 5th week of a 6 week build averaging 23 hours a week.

Long runs are up to 32k (20 miles) and long rides are 180k (110 miles ish!)

I have employed a coach to get me through and on the whole its working well but am I doing to much distance, hours etc?

To be honest I am over the training now and just want to get the race done, is this a normal feeling at this stage? Or should I just harden up and stop complaining?

I have a 3 week taper beginning in 2 weeks.

Grateful for your thoughts and advice.

• Options

IMHO, 23 hours sound like a lot.

I'm doing my first IM next week and I peaked at 15/16 hours before starting to taper.

However, I'm certainly no expert, there are plenty here who will be able to offer more constructive advice.

• Options

Thanks Pudge, a few people I have spoken too, seem to think its a lot of training for my first IM.  One even said am I qualifying for something!

I suppose the coach would not give me this training if he did not think I could handle it?

• Options

I was going to ask......are you aiming to qualify.......

which isn't impossible for your first Ironman.you could be a very quick competitor who is at the sharp end of shorter distances who fancies moving up........

if you are not and are the slower end hoping to finish and still walk..........then in my opinion its a hell of a lot.......

the 110 nike seems all right to me but the 20 mile run will take a lot out of you......and on tired legs will increase your injury chances.....

but if you have got this far without injury then maybe its right for you.......

at this stage I think everyone gets fed up and knackered and just wants the day to come.......

but if you have niggles etc then talk to your coach and tell them you feel burnt out....a good one will listen to you......

• Options

No not aiming qualify, I have a time goal in mind but have not discussed this with my coach.  I am sure, maybe wrong that upping the training for the next two weeks surely won't make too much difference will it? 

I would like to say I am a pretty natural runner with a PB 3.35 Marathon time 3 years ago. With a recent Half IM at 4.51 So maybe he thinks I can handle it?

I am starting to get a few niggles but I am seem to be working them out foam roller, massage and hot baths etc.

Yeah as you say pretty fed up and knackered especially as the last major IM for the season here in Aus was Port Macquire this weekend just gone.  So Cairns IM is the last of the season which I'm doing.

Thanks for listening!  As Fraser would say! image

• Options

good luck and keep us informed of how it goes

• Options
    Quite right. Crooky. Easy run down the lake up here in Keswick this morning
  • Options

Nice 40 miles in the sun, taking in Box Hill (not nearly as bad as I expected!) image plenty of cyclists out and about!

• Options
    Got 40 miler done on bike yesterday and 12 mile hilly run today. Legs very tired tonight.
  • Options

Smashngrab

two things.

1. I think it is too much 

2. Why have you not discussed your goal with your coach and how can he coach you if he does not know your goals?

you are pretty much done and dusted note so time hours v sessions are slightly irrelevant, enjoy he race and learn lots

• Options

Milton Keynes hala marathon for me today, bit pants but there you go!

• Options

First OW swim of the year - I was monumentally rubbish. As the songs goes, things can only get better. If they get worse I've really got problems! I've decided I don't like cold water and when it warms up a bit normal service will be resumed.

However also spent a couple of days in Brighton and had two really good runs down the seafront. If I lived in Brighton I'd be a far better runner because I'm sure I'd run lots more.

• Options

It will get better Cheggers and hopefully warmer!!

• Options

you are pretty much done and dusted note so time hours v sessions are slightly irrelevant, enjoy he race and learn lots

Interested to know why you think I ma cooked already?! image

• Options

First OW swim of the year tonight... Aaargh

• Options

Its a swim week for me this week........as I have been neglecting it since easter.........

OW yesterday and up early for 3.8k in the pool.........got a club race tonight so hopefully legs will be ok

• Options

Off with work to Newport tomorrow, and will slip my bike in the car to keep my evenings busy!... a few hills should sort this Fen land out! image

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Options

smash - its pretty normal to get hacked off with training if you started a bit early.

ideally you come into the last 10 weeks raring to go, and do lots of big sessions to get you ready....

7 weeks to IM france??  last week I was seriously knackered and had lost the mojo.  So I got it wrong.... An easy week and the mojo is back.  I even went swimming image

Think I did 15/18 - 20 ish hrs a week for my first, but then I was a bit too enthusiastic too early and also ran out of mojo at about T-5 weeks.

HTFU and just get it done- taper in 2 weeks.
    These are the weeks that really count so make use of the time image

• Options

OC i have been seriously knackered for the past couple of weeks perhaps i should bring my last cutback week forwards then crack on big time fot the remaining weeks till taperimage

• Options

I hate racing in the evening.......club race tonight .league against 9 other clubs......just under 6 miles and felt knackered.....

still averaged 7:55 min miling,........something i couldn't get near last year.....wish i could just take these races easy as they muck up my training...........but we haven't got many fast women in my club so i count as the first 6 score...so feel i have to go all out]#

• Options
    Final RVFinal RV ✭✭✭

I've been training in America this week, never thought I'd say that, I'm here on business before anyone thinks I'm at an altitude training camp!  So far have managed to stick to the Fink plan, did my long run Sunday, almost 9 miles around Washington DC and parts of Arlington, block system is a pain in the ass, this morning I swam at a public school facility in Arlington, public not private, the school had an aquatics centre Team GB would be envious of an incredible facility and handily was open at 5am as I'm still struggling with jet lag.  Got my Z2 run in as well, hard to maintain Z2 with so many intersections with the block system.

Best of all I'm running in shorts, a vest, sun visor and sunglasses, next week, Southern California, might even have to pack lotion.

• Options
    GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭
    Good effort RV with keeping up with Fink whilst away, I managed some good training last month when I was away but the first few days after I got back was a nightmare, I only wanted to sleep. San Diego next? Nice city.
  • Options

legs were dead for this mornings 10 miler.averaged over 12 min milingimage.think the racing last night killed them...

hopefully the swim in the Taff this afternoon was cold enough to help them recover....

swim week for me this week. 

did a mile today OW, after yeserdays full distance in the pool and mondays 1500m in the river.....

a lot of swimming

• Options

I really need to get into the OW, only 10 weeks on Sunday until Outlaw image

Did 2.4mile swim today in 1hr 11min and I'm beginning to question my ability to count laps! Could have easily carried on so I'm feeling good about the swim. I am, however, pretty frustrated with not being able to run as my calf is still sore.