Options

How to train as and qualify as a coach?

How do I train to become a coach, can I do it part time, how do I qualify, how long does it take and how much does it cost?

Comments

• Options
    It doesn't take too long and is not very expensive.
    If memory serves me correctly at this time of the moring. The level one course is 1 day and £60. Level 2 is a lot more in depth and the first stage is done over 2 days, followed by a go off and practice bit and then another days course, for about £100.

All the info' you need is here.

http://www.ukathletics.net/vsite/vnavsite/page/directory/0,10853,4854-131334-132642-nav-list,00.html
  • Options
    Level 1 currently costs £45, but that's slated to go up in a few months. I did Level 1 a few weeks ago - it was a very enjoyable day out, but I'm not convinced by how useful it really was (level 1 qualifies you as "assistant coach", and you're only allowed to coach under the supervision of a level 2 or higher coach).

As an extra service to offer customers, I don't think it has much relevance to be honest. The coaching qualification itself won't tell you anything technically that you won't learn from reading the right books and with a few years of experience. As for being a fallback - you'll never make any money from being a coach, unless you're one of the very lucky few. Even the guy who lead my course, a Level 3 coach, hugely experienced, has his own team of athletes he coaches, told me he couldn't make a living from it.

If you want to get into coaching, I'd suggest joining a club (if you haven't yet), getting to know the coaches there, and offering to help them out. Once you've spent a few months assisting, you'll know if you want to do it or not. And by then, the club will very possibly pay for your qualifications anyway. (Unfortunately there aren't any coaches at my club, so I couldn't follow my own advice on this point.)

From my Level 1 day, it seemed that the qualification is aimed more at people who have been coaching at their club for some time, and wanted to formalize that. Coaching is something that you learn by experience, not on three days of classes. Having said that, I enjoyed my level 1 course, so if you've got £45 to waste and a spare Saturday or Sunday, there's far worse things you could do with it!
  • Options
    aaa rite, cool, i didn't know if you had to go through an official route to become qualified before you could actually start coaching, but I will get in touch with local clubs and talk to some of their coaches about letting me tag along and learn from them.
  • Options
    Officially, you have to be at least a level 1 coach before you can do any coaching (and you get UK:A insurance cover when you get that qualification). In reality though, they acknowledge that the majority of coaching up and down the country is done by people without the certificate, who do have years of experience in the sport. In a lot of ways the qualification is relatively meaningless - you'll learn more by doing. Getting in touch with local coaches is a great way in and gives you a taste for if it's something you'd actually enjoy or not. Although at first you probably won't do much apart from stand by the track, freezing cold, holding a stopwatch...