Options

I'm young, fit, have done one marathon but want to run faster!

I ran the Edinburgh marathon last year in 3hr 39mins, not bad considering the conditions. I am doing it again but want to take about 20 mins off that time. Last year I didn't really vary my routine very much, just doing, 4miles,8ml,4ml,8ml,4ml,rest,longrun,4ml,8ml... but I didn't vary my speed at all just doing the same speed all the time.

I was wondering if anyone knows anything or any web pages that will be able to give me advice on going faster, which i guess will mean training at different speeds?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Cranston Watts
Age 21

Edinburgh

Comments

• Options
    Suggestion 1 - Add 2 miles to each of your runs - that way you get another 12 miles a week in.

Suggestion 2 - In the 2 months before the marathon do 6 weeks where you do intervals on a track once or twice a week - say jog to track, 4*1600metres with 800m slow jog recovery - jog back home. You could do these on the road but the important thing is to do them timed with a target for each.

Suggestion 3 - Assuming you run in the evening 3 times a week get up and do additional 4 mile run. Or if you run in the morning do the 4 mile run in the evening.

Suggestion 4 - Enter some warm up races as sharpeners - maybe some half marathons but make sure you have at least 2 weeks between the last one and the marathon - preferably 3 weeks.