Options

Spring Half Marathon Training

Comments

• Options

Thanks for the replies and votes of confidence. You all sound like you are training pretty hard by my relaxed standards!

Just Running - my schedule at the moment is severely limited by light. I do Parkrun on a Sat (busting a gut to try to get to 24min), my long run on a Sunday (which I shall build from 8 to 14 miles) and a reasonably long run on a Wed (7-8 miles) as I have a half day. That leaves me with 4 dark days a week. I usually take two off and run on two of them in a very unscientific sort of way. There is exactly a mile of streetlit road from my house so I jog out and run hard back, then jog out again and try to beat my previous time on the return run. It's not fun but seems like a reasonable use of resources and gets a fair bit of running done in a short time.

• Options

Hi guys, figured this would be a good place for my first post image.

I'm training for three half marathons (so far) for this half of the year:-

Stafford half in March 16, (will be my first ever Half marathon!, eak)

Lichfield half in 4th May, (fairly flat i'm told, so a nice easier second half maybe?)

'potters' half (Leak) in June 8th. (hills hills and more oh flip look at that hill)

Anyone going to any of those races? Aiming for sub 2hours for the Stafford one, and will then set goals for the others from there image. I'm trying to change my training somewhat now, and do things better, as i've been running my LSD's at HMP up until recently, and i've only just started trying out hill and tempo runs. Think i'll have to pick the brains of the fokes in the training forum soon image

• Options

Welcome to all the new Ladies and Gentlemen. 

Peter- I forgot about the Stafford HM, I may enter that one if there are still places. Better check with my wife first, make sure I am not supposed to be helping with my Sons fund raising first (8 year old raising for Meningitis Trust). 

A quick update of my runs; I did my furtherst LSR so far of 15.6miles over the peaks (off track) which was amazing. It took me around 2 hours 30, but wasnt running at race pace, and took plenty of pictures. I had fun with my dog, who joined after 8 miles too. I rested over the weekend, then ran a steady run with the club on monday, around 6 miles. 

This week I plan to do a new strength circuit I have written out, to incorporate lots of core and big muscle groups. I have a club run wednesday which will probably be a bit fartlek, park run on sat, then long run sunday. Good luck all on your training this week, and well done on all the effort thus far.

• Options

Kev - those 1m reps are impressive. What pace do you do your HMP miles. 6:5x should be manageable? Good pacing on those other runs. What is your target again?

I.L.S - it probably a bit slower than you think. if your legs are weary then you're probably going a bit quick but difficult to ascertain online!!!

Mungus - know what you mean but think it has helped me.

BM - hang in there, I'm joining you on the 'bench'. Been advised to rest for the rest of the week.

Neil - was Pfitzinger referring to mortal runners or the elite For the 3 - 3 1/2 hr LR? I wouldn't want do contemplate a 5 hr marathon based on a much shorter LR.

5 x 20 miler will def see you not running out of stream. Do any of the LR's involve MP sections. I did 1 x 20 miles with 14 @ 7:15 which was more or less the same as my eventual finishing time. I did 7 x 20 but I couldn't help myself converting an 18 & 19 into a 20!!

Speedwork shelved until everything feels okay. I've always played hockey before my LR and races, once I pack it in I should have a little more in the tank come race day... Thinking hard about next season.

GB - Taking the dark into consideration plus the parkrun which would count as a 'quality' session perhaps one of the street light run should be an easy One? You could also have a fartlek session between columns to mix things up?

Pete - Hi and welcome. Good luck with races. Have a hunt for McMillan running calc and input your target time. The calc will drop out some training paces. Start at the slower end for each type of run. If you keep the easy paced run easy you'll have fresher legs for the tempo, hills and interval session. let us know a bit more detail in terms of mileage and no of runs / distances etc.

Jim - sounds a good long run to me. You're adding to what is a good base already. I can easily see you achieving your target. What sort of 5k times are you getting at PR?

No running for me tonight, have a small tear if another area of my hamstring after hockey so have been advised to rest for a week. No screams Kev, but some uncomfortable moments. Feels much better now but will sit it out for a few days. 1st time I've ever had hamstring issues so need to be patient.

• Options

JR - you have such dignity about injury compared to me. I'll shuffle along the bench.

Apologies for this mornings rant image. I feel a lot better after 2 hours in the gym, including a few miles on the tready which don't seem to have done any harm. I've got over myself a bit now but thanks for the sympathetic responses.

WhiskeyJim - Sir, your manners are exemplary. That long run sounded great.

Pete - how long have your been running? Have you raced shorter distances already?

• Options
    kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭

Benign keep positive and getting to the gym seems to have lifted your spiritsimage

ILS how do you feel after your runs and the next day, is the next training day hard on you, if so drop back paces.

Neil definitely helps with others when doing reps, how did your temp go

Mungus still think slowing down lsr are key

Game bird you are putting the sessions in but maybe one has to be replaced with an easy pace session

Pete welcome and what sort of runs times have you done.

Whisky sounds like a fantastic route and well done on the miles

JR sorry to here about the injury but hopefully some rest and stretches will help. im doing balloch 9th March and McMillan predicts 1.38.xx from my 10k in Nov 13. I have done a few half marathons but have walked during them all at one point. This year totally focused on getting sub 1.40.xx. Can never get it right on race dayimage  For some reason my training days go better than race days. HMP is my issue as I don't know what to do in training, using 7.00-7.25 HMP training paces.

• Options

I've been running on the roads (pavement :P) since July time. before that i had a few months of not doing much, and before that about a year or so of using the treadmill a lot at the gym. Used to be i loved the treadmill and couldn't stand the thought of running outside, now it's the exact opposite image

I do Parkrun regularly. my PB is 25:19 (one day i need to go sub 25!) but currently i'm around 26mins. I've done a couple of 10km runs. both of these were around 58 mins. the first was a while back shortly after recovering from an injury, the second was in december (the dales dash), which was very hilly and slippery at times, and had some spectacular near misses in falling over, but i survived that and was very happy with my time that day. 

week saturday ago, before i learnt i shouldn't be running so fast, i decided to run the 5k to parkrun, do the park run, then the 5k home (timed it just right for the start line :P). According to the mapmyfitness app i use (which will be a little out, i probably did a little less distance) i did 15.76km in 1h29m32s averaging 5m40 second km's (i prefer KM to miles), which is the HMP i'm after. Now realised i shouldn't be running my LSD that fast, and have overtrained a bit, so have took it a bit easier this week, and did a 13km run keeping around the 6m13 KM pace. was strange at first, but i got used to it, and was surprised that it still was draining, even though i wasn't out of breath.

I tend to train 4 times a week. Park runs Saturday, long runs sunday/monday with at least 2 sessions in the week of 5-8km, either hill, or easy, or like todays attempt at  tempo run :- 1km (and a bit) slow, faster 3.7kmish faster (would have been 4 but a sharp hill climb was in the way :P), finish off slow again.

DISTANCE PACE   ELAPSED TIME

1 km 06:15 min/km 6:14

2 km 05:18 min/km 5:16

3 km 04:51 min/km 4:50

4 km 04:56 min/km 4:54

5 km 05:15 min/km 5:14

6 km 06:09 min/km 6:09

im also trying to loose a bit more weight :P (lost 3 stone since April last year, down to 15 stone now, but got 1 more to go, oh I'm 6ft3inch btw) stalled a bit over christmas though of course :P, trying to get back on it now. The winning strategy is, if i loose a bit more, then i'll run quicker image.  Think that's about everything i can say on how I'm training and what i've done up until now. tomorrow morning should be an easy run i think, then i've been conned into a spinning class on thursday :P.

JR: torn hamstring :/ ouch. footballers take most of the season off for that don't they? you Hockey players are clearly made of sterner stuff image.

Whiskyjim: it's fully booked now i'm afraid, unless you can find someone who doesn't want their place anymore and will transfer it to you (for a further £5) :/

benign: glad to hear you managed to get some sort of a work out at least. hope you knee sorts itself out in time! 

• Options

Kev - it might be time to do another 10k in early Feb to see where you are. I think there might be an improvement. 1:40 is very doable looking at your recent paces.

You might have done your best runs in training if you were running too fast and a bit weary come race day? 

We can talk tapering & race pacing/tactics nearer the day.

• Options
    Peter - welcome to the thread. I think you'll get your parkrun down below 25mins with consistent training, especially as the weight continues to come off.

Benign - glad you feel better for going to the gym. At least you can maintain some aerobic fitness that way and get rid of a bit of pent up frustration. Hope the physio visit goes well.

Whisky- you must be developing some really good endurance running on those peaks. Sounds a great spot to run. Will be interesting to see what effect the

strength circuit has on your running.

Kevin, have you thought about doing a tempo, somewhere between 5 and 8k, with a mile WU & CD for your HMP pace work? From the training info that you post, I think you should be able to break 1:40 for a half. For my half PB I deliberately ran within myself for the first 8k and felt strong in the closing stages, something I wish I could do in 10k races. Also, did you have a decent taper the week before the race? Tempo went well thanks. 13k in total with middle 8k at target pace. Only thing was that I couldn't sleep last night, something that's happened a couple of times before after similar midweek evening sessions. Anyone else get this?

JR - probably a good move to rest the hamstring for a week, albeit really frustrating. Good self-discipline to do it.Are you going to see the physio? Think Pfitzinger was referring to runners in general. Good to know you feel that five 20 milers will get me through the marathon. I do have my doubts some days. None of the LRs include MP but the target pace quickens as the program progresses. There are some midweek 10 milers at MP in the second half of the plan. This hockey / running thing must be a right dilemma for you as your clearly love both sports but probably feel you could do better if you focussed on just one. Difficult decision.Not sure what I'd do in your position.

Kevin, maybe some kind of 5 to 7k tempo at the pace your are talking about? Based on the training times you post sub 1:40:00 should be doable. Do you think you've gone off too fast in previous half maras
  • Options
    Sorry about the bit of duplication above. Problem with posting on a smart phone.
  • Options
    kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭

Pete well done with the weight loss and im sure you feel the benefit, also you are putting in the sessions this will make you stronger

Neil im trying to build up mileage and doing an extra session during the week

JR will have to look around for a 10km or the dreaded park run which I have still to do. Would also appreciate any input to training. Are you resisting going out a runimage

10mls this morning 3mls WU 6mls avg 7.33 and 1ml CD, felt sluggish today,image no structure to my training really need to look at this.

What is everyone doing/targeting race as I keep having to scroll through

Kevin70

HM Balloch 9th March  sub 1.40

• Options

JR- I have only ever ran 1 race before which was a 10k and that was done in Nov last year. I have been running a lot, just never raced. But this year is where I use the miles I have built up and start competing. I am definetly considering the park run on saturday as a race. Even if only for a benchmark for my HM and 10k pacing. 

Peter- I checked the HM in Staffs, and saw it was fully booked. So as a rebound I booked the Cheshire 10k instead at the end of march. Should be a good one to see the fruits of my speed training. 

Neil- The great thing about running up in the peaks is that I am well aware how good it is for me, certainly my endurance. I am doing a road run for my LSR this weekend, which while its still hilly the road should mean I can keep an even pace the whole time. It will be nice to comfortably do the 25km in 2hours 30, and still feel fresh image I am doing Strength training tomorrow, and as long as I keep it up, I guess it will be 3 or 4 weeks to see the benefit of it. I have a 10k race at the end of feb which I have yet to specifically train for. But... I am hoping my slow base miles and using the hills will have in fact made me fitter and therefore slightly faster. I will take 5 seconds as a win. 

Kev- Target Race is any 10k race under 40 minutes. But the one specific for this thread is Buxton HM, which is usually May. I aim to get around 1:45 for that, its a hilly course. 

• Options

I'd be delighted to replace a session of faster stuff with an easy run. Delighted beyond words!

HM Retford, 9th March sub 2hr, fingers crossed!

• Options

Kev - remind me what a typical week consists of and I will try to help. You've probably said before... I think a 10k with no taper and a couple of easy miles before and after?

Jim - good luck for Saturday, hope it goes well.

GB - Glad you're happy, two quality sessions is plenty in a week. No more than 20% of quicker stuff is a good guide.

Right, time for a list...

• Options

Kev: 09/03 - sub 1:40 HM

Jim: May - sub 1:45 HM (hilly)

GB: 09/03 - sub 2:00 HM

JR: 02/03 - 1:29:59 (to review)

• Options

well todays easy run was in some ways a disaster,.. as i ended up doing 8km at HMP instead. was quite happy that when i hit a hill i've always dreaded around the 5km mark, i managed to keep my pace going quite well! some of this training must be paying off image

Pete: 16/03 - sub 2:00

(no pressure then, as 3 of you will have recently done yours and set the standard :P)

• Options
    kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭

Pete well done for keeping going training definitely paying off

Whisky sub 40 what training would you be doing

JR sessions consist of lsr on sat currently 13.3mls at about 9.20mm, Monday 6mls easy pace, wed 10mls with 3 mls WU, 1ml CD and 6mls of something and club session thurs night.

• Options

Neil - missed your post... I've heard previously that if 5 LR's total 100+ miles then endurance should be okay. I think the MP LR is the icing on the cake but maybe better than a quicker LR for recovery? Hockey is a young person's game and at 38 I can't be categorised as that! 

As the hamstring is 'just' a micro tear no need for fizz, a sport massage is ample. Next one booked for Tuesday. Went for a 50 minute walk, not enjoyable but no running! Then some stretching. Day 2 done, a few more to go!

Pete - X post last night. Well done on the weight loss. You'll be pleased to know that every lb lost makes you 2 secs per mile faster over a HM for the same fitness levels. My advice - keep your easy runs exactly that and the harder sessions hard and up to 20% of your weekly mileage. Although I struggle with k's, tap out your sessions and we can comment?

• Options

Kevin, my observations for a 1:40:

Pace good on the LR, mileage good. Are you increasing to 14-15 (slowly)?

Easy - what pace, expect 8:30-50?

The 10 mile effort seems the one that needs some thinking and also variance? Answer may depend on your club night, I'm guessing this isn't an easy run? Back to back hard sessions not a good idea.

Perhaps some pyramid reps one week alternating with tempo or HMP efforts.

Our club reps seem to total to about 5k and be in two sections. For example last time it was 4 x 600m with 75 sec standing rest, a break followed by 4 x 600 with 60 standing rest. Also 1 x 800 then 8 x 400 followed by 1 x 800 etc etc.

how about 1 x 1k @ MP, HMP, 10K, HMP, MP, with 2 min jog recoveries?

Can you seek advice at club, happy to help but you may get more help from people who know you?

• Options

Peter - that actually sounds like quite a good tempo run.

Whisky - I imagine all the running you've been doing will definitely help with your time at the shorter distance as well, especially as much of it has been going up hills and you seem to have been increasing weekly mileage. What time did you run the 10k you did in November last year? 

JR - glad to read there's no need for a trip to the physio. Welll done for maintaining the self-discipline and resting the injury. 38 is just a number, btw.image My LR time for one of my last 20 milers is MP + 9secs and it coincides with the 30k race I'm probably going to do so I think I'll leave it at that, although there is a temptation to try and do it at MP.

The dreaded intervals this evening: 1200, 1000, 800, 600 & 400 off 200m RI. At least the distances get smaller as the session progresses.

HMs planned for this winter / spring:

23/03 - ???, going to run it quite hard but open-minded re time time at present. Just going to see how it goes on the day.

06/04 - 1:35 to 1:37 (did it in 1:37:04 last year, current HM PB)

Both races quite hilly, especially the first.

• Options

Well, the physio hasn't grounded me - I can run as long as it's pain free, so I'm back off to the club tonight. Basic diagnosis is that my left side is short/weaker then my right. I knew this already but thought that the exercises and strengthening that I've been doing weren't enough to overcome the imbalance. They were until I hit 40 mpw and 18m long runs. I've got a new targeted range of exercises and stretches - my glutes are already aching from them so they must be doing something. No long runs for 2 weeks.

Its scuppered my timing for the Paris marathon - there is no way I can now fit in 5 x 20 miles, I'll have to be happy with getting around and learning fro the experience. Its my first marathon after all.

My Bath Half race number arrived today. I'm going to enjoy focussing on this goal for the moment.

• Options

Kevin- my previous (and only) 10k race was achieved (time 41.55) after 2 or 3 runs a week, and a total weekly distance of around 25km or less. To achieve the aim for this year I have gradually built up to 50km (30miles) a week. I have now joined a running club, so my mid week run is with people of a similar speed to me, so when we do fartlek I am being pushed faster and faster by people who are quicker, I hope this helps me find some new pace. My weekend long run almost always have long steep hills, increasing my strength and endurance. I intend to race several times this year, so hopefully experience will help, infact there are 15 events from club races to Big Half marathons on my list. And finally on weeks where I dont do fartlek I will be doing interval sessions,from 100m sprints up to 1mile intervals.

In the end I have plenty of time to make the improvement. the aim is a year long one, my current pb of 19.43 for 5k means if I can just keep up my endurance, the aim isnt too unrealistic. There are also club members that are faster, that with the right effort I can hope to beat. Who doesnt love a bit of competition?

Benign- Glad you can still get out, but take it easy, dont get yourself too damaged where you need to take an even longer forced rest. Good luck with your HM prep.

• Options

Evening,

Neil - Blimey 30k @ more or less MP sounds very tough... will you have recovered in time, don't want that to be your best run? Intervals go okay?

BM - excellent news. 3 x 20 milers will be sufficient and think of the improvement for the 2nd one when you do more next time!?

Jim - think competition may be my undoing... I think you'll going to see some massive PBs this year if all goes to plan.

Another rest day ticked off... Made a mistake of running up the stairs at work by the time I knew it I was up the top of 3 flights and no pain. So it looks like some improvement.

Reading no. Arrived today, red start. Itching to get out!

• Options
    kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭

JR thanks for posting they sessions I will definitely need to look at my Wednesday sessions, getting to know more people at club so will ask what they do. Are you planning any easy miles over the weekend or are you strong enough to resistimage

Neil sounds like tough intervals, but great when you get to 200m which flies byimage

Benign fantastic news but take it slowly, go and enjoy your first marathonimage

Whisky that is a quality 10k time and I reckon you are going to smash your times this year

Club session tonight 9mls steadyimage avg out at 7.37m/m felt more comfortable than yesterdays session

• Options

JR: oo that's good news, few more pounds then should just ensure me the right side of the 2hour mark image. I'm definitely not doing enough easy runs then i think, if 80% of my distance needs to be easy. With Parkrun on saturday, i'll have done 17-19km (depending if you count the 1km warm up and warm downs :P) harder running, and my LSD will be around 15km mark on sunday,.. maybe I'm in danger of overtraining :/, might need to re-evaluate. "just" a micro tear then? oh then you should be skipping around just fine :P. but maybe a few more days rest first hey? image

benign: at least you get to go to Paris as well :P. and it'll make a good benchmark for to beat for next time image.

WJ: i like your spirit image, bit of healthy competition never hurt anyone :P, chase them down!!

Well this morning (at 7:15am!) i was at a spinning class, which was nice for a change, good to do some different training sometimes i assume. Proper rest day tomorrow though image, think i've earn it this week.

• Options

Morning all. 

BM: My bath half number arrived yesterday too, my first ever race number!  It motivated me to go out and do a relatively quick 4 miles.  Hope it does the same for you.  Like Peter M says, treat Paris as more of a holiday.

Everyone keep an eye on those niggly pains...

• Options

Hi all,

Benign - that's really good news. Hopefully the new exercises and stretches will allow you to tolerate the increased mileage. I've got something similar and do quite a lot of exercises / stretching so would be interested in knowing what the physio has got you doing. Hope the club session went well last night.

Whisky - impressive 10k time, especially for your first ever race. I reckon there's quite a bit to come and that you´ll break your 5k PB, especially given the training you do.

Peter - definitely count the warm up and cool down as part of your weekly mileage. It's all running.

Mungus - I always find collecting / getting my race number really exciting too.Know the feeling well.

JR - good to read the rest seems to be having the desired effect. Take your point about the 30k race. The program I'm following focusses more on intensity than volumes. The intervals went much better thanks:

1200 - 4.41 (6 secs under target)

1000 - 3:59 (3 secs over)

800 - 3:11 (3 secs over)

600 - 2:19 (1 sec under)

400 - 1:32 (spot on)

So not perfect but a hell of lot better than in  previous weeks. I must say that I felt a bit of progress and it's boosted my confidence a bit.

Kevin - the 200m RIs were painfully short and I did walk / jog them. The comment you made the other week about just having to hang in there was really going through my mind while I was doing my session yesterday evening, so many thanks! It actually helped me quite a bit.

Have a good weekend everyone. 

• Options
    Hi all,

I'm down for my first half marathon, Tonbridge in March.

I backed off training in Autumn, put on some weight but I've been back on it for two weeks or so.

My only running race was an offroad 10k in torrential rain at 55min, my training run PB is near 52. My 5k PB is 24:43.

My goal in Jan was to lose weight, was getting nowhere and frustrated so I ran twice my longest distance last night, to see if I could run home from work - 28k. It was ugly but I made it, and lost 1.3Kg.

I don't have a target for the Tonbridge Half as the route will dictate, but as a training target I want to be between 1:45 and 1:55 for 21k.

My 'plan' is to focus on a faster 5k, three runs a week; all out 5k, tempo 10k and one long run at 90mins.

Good luck to all.

TP
  • Options

The last week has been a shocker. I worked somewhere between 70 and 80 hours in the past 5 working days (not including a few hours over last weekend, driving about 500 miles and one Eurostar day trip to Paris) hence the radio silence!

On the other hand, I've still managed to get out for a couple of 5 mile runs along the seafront at Bournemouth first thing in the morning. 5 miles easy at about 09:03mm on Tuesday AM and intervals on Thursday AM with 1 mile warmup and warmdown at 09:00, then 3 x 1/2 mile fast at 07:00 followed by 1/2 mile jog at 09:45.

Benignmurmurring - Glad to hear that you can still run if you're careful. Good luck and take it easy.

WhiskyJim - Nice 5k and 10k times! Sub-20 and sub-40 are long-term goals for me.

TinPot - Welcome to the HM thread! Have you considered backing off on the speed for one of the two fast runs?

HM Cambridge 9th March 01:50 (1st HM)

• Options
    @GazMorris

You spotted my misuse of 'tempo' image I vary it at about, 60% Z3 35% Z4, 5% Z5

Do you think it's better to have two moderate sessions and one hard?

Cheers

tp