Options

Sunday 15th December

Yesterday morning was, to all intents and purposes, my cycling proficiency test.

About 20 miles, with the tri cycling coach. Me on the inside of a twosome for most of it, with him keeping check on me as if I was leading the pack. I clearly have two mental states. Cycling alone, and cycling as pack lead. I must focus on cycling as though I was pack leader at all times. Interestingly there was one point when he did actualy lean on me, just to see how I reacted. That was OK. Of course there were a couple of drivers who wanted to clip us with their mirrors for riding two up, but nothing TOO close.

I do find it frustrating when runners wear i-pods though. You can't shout at them, and they don't look.

Sunday? Swimming tonight.

Comments

• Options

Morning all,

Lay off the ipod subject blisters.  I entirely agree with you.. but this could become a 19 page thread if you're not careful!

Thought I'd post today because, for the first time in ages... I can say "Lyrics...  Yes"

Feeling that healthy tiredness in my legs after a 14 miler today.

What... See how I feel. Maybe 4 mile recovery

Why...  Starting to get into the flow of running again, after a dismal 10 weeks since Chester

Lyrics  Yes

Last hard ... actually, Saturday was quite hard

Last rest...  Friday

Lyrics ...... I think I said.  Yes.

Happy long runs...

• Options

Morning...but not a good onefor England cricket fans!image

Blisters lyrics are "I was twenty one years when I wrote this song"

Lyrics: yes...used in two different songs I believe.

What: 30 mins off road minimum

Why: consistent consistency

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options

Morning.

Glad you're considered proficient Blisters image

Good that you're getting back into it NN.

What:              10 miles
    Why:                taper LSR
    Last hard:        13/0
    Last rest:          9/12

Lyrics - only know one song with these but it's one I love.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options

Morning, a few questions so I know the rules.

I've seen the lyrics threads since I've been on here. I think I understand the format regarding the runs (What length, why, length of time since hard/rest etc) but not the rules on the lyrics themselves or the rule set surrounding who creates/when, or if there is an understanding at all......

So, to ensure I don't upset anyone, can someone let me know how to play please.

Anyway,

What: 2m

Why: First try at running (it will be a very slow jog) since badly tearing calf

Last hard: 21 days

Last rest: 1 day

Lyrics: Heard Kirsty's first then Billy's original. Kirsty's is polished, Billy's is raw, prefer Billy's.

Had to go Google it to find out the other, never knew the first two lines were from S&G and I've listened to that album god knows how many times!

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Options

Hi Chimney and welcome. Rules are quite simple - whoever is up and about first (or last sometimes!) starts the thread and sets the lyrics. Used to be something topical or relevant to the thread starter but to be honest sometimes it's just whatever I've been listening to when I do it now. Once the thread has been started subsequent posters say whether they know the lyrics or not - but don't give away what they are. Hope your test run goes well.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Well Chimney will know tomorrow :??)

I did actually know the lyrics as well !!!!

What: CycloX and run later

Why: Fat old and slow

Last hard: Tuesday

Last rest: October 14th

Lyrics: yes

Have a nice day y'all
  • Options

Welcome chimney, hope the calf survives image

What: potter round christmas market in Edinburgh the eldest daughter is cooking us a nice meal

why: in Edinburgh and daughter  can't make it home for Christmas

last hard: either having to watch cringe factor or hearing the cricket score this morning

last rest Friday

lyrics: no

nose Nowt nah we're above that sort of thing on this thread!

• Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭

morning, 
    welcome chimney, good luck today
    know the lyric too, think I have the original on vinyl somewhere
    what - easy run
    why - prudence with dodgy knee
    last rest - early last week
    last hard - foam roller on my hammys
    At least we can win back the ashes on home soil, makes the next series interesting. Big questions must be asked of our squad though.

enjoy the rest of the w/e

• Options

If I can run next Sunday as I did this morning I will be a very Happy Little Miss. Trouble is with marathons you never know what you're going to get until the day.

I forgot earlier - yesterday's lyrics were A Matter Of Time by The Killers.

• Options
    emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Afternoon all

What; 3 km run on beach followed by about 250 m in pool
    Why: only had time for the 3km on beach as can't run on my own here so run whilst everyone else walked the dog.  Pool looked inviting when got home so jumped in!
    Last hard: running on that sand, it was soft as the tide was coming in so the harder bits were under the sea.
    Last rest: yesterday
    Lyrics: yes

Yesterday evening saw over 100 whales whilst driving along the coast road.  Having never seen any before, it was a spectacular sight.

Don't mention the cricket (we haven't lost yet, ever the optimist...)

Off to wedding now.

Have a good one all.

• Options

Afternoon

What 2 miles

Why Santa run

Lyrics yes

Welcome Chimney stick around

Not run much recently as work goes ballistic this time of year. However with pride and a title to defend I went out hard and despite a stitch managed to hold on. The guy who came second was the same one as last year and was a bit miffed to get codgered two years in a row. Not a great time, 11:59, but fast enough for a large box of fudge.

• Options

Well done, Postie!

Interesting whale spotting, Emz!

Chimney: welcome!

What: 32 mins largely off road on muddy fields and paths
    Why: I said I would run a minimum of 30!
    Last hard: various cow fields. Legs tired. May or may not rest tomorrow.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    welcome chimney. hope the calf holds up.

nice parkrunning yesterday by the Other Halves an d RFJ

Sorry to hear about the dodgy knee Dustin.

postie: that's a fast 2miles in my book. Fudge ..... yum!

whales em? where are you? ZA??

Sounds promising, LMH. Confidence! What's your A, B an d C goal?

what: 20 miles in the wind

why: each mile brings me closer to Boston

Last hard: bloody headwind...

Last Rest: 9/12

lyrics: yes

62 miles for the week. I think that counts as a comebackimage
  • Options

Morning all. A sporadic post for me. I could immediately hear Kirsty singing in my head!

Lyrics: Yes!
    What: 11.5km inc. 2 x 3km tempo
    Why: Aiming for HM PB.
    Last hard: Today!
    Last rest: Friday

• Options

emzap - sounds amazing - lucky you! image

10 miles this morning for me, wind picked up a fair bit during the run but it was a lovely start.  77 minutes or so, nice and easy.

Lyrics - after all the giveaways - yes! 

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Afternoon all,

Lyrics - Possible

Well done Postie

Welcome Chimney and welcome back IronCat

What 7m (unplanned progressive)
    Why - Just playing
    Last hard - Today by the end of it
    Last Rest - Weds

Take care

• Options

Well defended postie - enjoy the fudge.

That is a huge number of whales emzap - send us some sun please.

chickadee - I think that definitely counts as a comeback image. Goals - a PB; something beginning with 3.3x.xx and nearer 3.30 that 3.40.

• Options

A'noon

Pouring down and a mixture of rain and hail up here today.

Rest Day

Chimney: Welcome

Lyrics: Yup

Catch up time.

• Options

LMH: without wishing to dampen things, I thought Portsmouth was not thought to be a PB course! I understood it to be a good five minutes slow, both due to the terrain and the wind. Have you watched the course video?

Nice running Chick! And others!

• Options
    you can deffo get a 3:3x LMH, even on a slow course. You've trained consistently well and you ran a faster HM than I did prior to breaking 3:25;-) 8mm is a nice round number
  • Options

No you're right Alehouse - there are two lots of shingle beach, each of which is negotiated twice, it's wind exposed and partly on trail - but I've had my best block of run training ever and prior to VLM lost about six weeks to the chest infection/asthma - and I've since taken four minutes off my half time so I'm still hopeful.

Hope you're right chickadee!

• Options

Had an exhilarating day on a very windy Arthur's Seat today.imageimage

• Options

Some nice running going on there folks, and it was good to flush out some of the closet lurkers with Kirsty McColl's New England, as written by Billy Bragg.

Swimming tonight was chalked up as being a very easy session.
    3 sets of 150m, building pace/power in each set, with 15 sec rest.
    150m with the pull buoy float
    repeat the 3x 150.
    However it was stopped at the pull buoy bit, and Coach chalked up an End of Term relay race. Mixing up the talent from each lane- I got to swim Lane 1, (child-like grin), along with a fish and Mr Powerhouse. Time to put on the Game Face.

Race 1: medley.
    Race 2: Swim 50, Swap T shirts race
    Race 3: Swim with two large paddle floats.
    Race 4: Swim with a Woggle Float.

We only won every event! I must say that I certainly felt the pressure of eyes watching me, and I've got certain muscles that are physically bulging now. Happy and tired!