Options

What training to do in the week/days before a race?

Hi,

I'm running my first 10km race in mid January.

Would appreciate any advice on what/how much training to do in the days leading up to the race. Obviously, I want to be in the best shape possible but don't want to be exhausted. I have a terrible habit of over-training for events and end up risking injury! :)

Comments

• Options
    Hi Nikki, which one is that then?
    It depends on what your usual running is of course, cut back and do no speed work or limited speedwork early in the week.
    I mean if I cut back I'd do 20 or 30 miles in the week but that might be more than you do anyway!
    Easy jog the day before and no run at all two days before.
    Limit teh long run if you do one at all the previous weekend.
  • Options
    Hi Timothy,

Blimey! I'm only doing around 20 miles a week at the moment. :)

Its the RNLI Cotswold Canter in Burford, Oxfordshire. I'm told its great for first-timers as the course is pretty flat. I'm really looking forward to it!

Thanks for the advice and I'll let you know how I get on.

• Options
    Hi, well that's what I thought cos you've not been running long have you?!!
    I guess (correct me if I'm wrong) you're doing the distance rather than going for a time?
    Have you got any particular training plan for teh next few weeks? 1 faster run a week maybe?
  • Options
    Well, I've been running for a couple of years but only recently decided to up my mileage and push myself further.

I'm training 6 days a week - 3 runs plus 3 days in the gym. I take an extra day off if I feel I need it.

Running-wise, I recently introduced one faster run and have started doing a bit of hillwork once a week. I do a longer run once a week and I'm upping that by 5 minutes each week.

In the gym, I do cardio workouts plus hill pyramids on the treadmill. Once a week I do interval and resistance training (which I hate because it hurts!).

What do you think? Although its my first 10k and I'll be pleased to finish, I do want to do myself justice if you know what I mean.

Would appreciate any advice.
  • Options
    That all sound very good Nikki, no idea about pace the hill work will make your legs strong and give you endurance to keep pushing.
    Don't overestimate your pace when you start, run comfortably and get a time to use as a beatable target for future races.
    Ease back the week before like I said. Some people say that while dropping the mileage and number of runs its worth still doing a few short fast sessions to keep the leg speed. Makes sense to me, I stop that 3 or 4 days before.
    Well, I used to when I ran fast 10ks
    Enjoy.