Options

Old Deer Park Richmond Half Marathon

13»

Comments

• Options

So... any final tips on whether to go for road shoes or trail?

• Options
    Great event, managed a three minute PB *but* my Garmin had it at 12.95 miles! After being 0.1 out at each mile marker (i.e. 9.9m at 10m etc - expected to run 13.2m+). Anyone else?
  • Options

i made it a couple of hundred m too short...looking at other peoples strava distances most seem to agree.  Bit of a shame

• Options

My Garmin made it 20.86 km - so 238m short. If it makes you feel better, a half marathon is 13.1m not 13.2m...

• Options

Indeed - but my Garmin had me 0.1m out at 10 miles (I thought maybe due to not taking the perfect racing line) so had prepared myself at that point to shoot for 13.2m when I crossed the finish line, rather than hit PB at 13.1m still finding myself short of the finish line. Make sense?

• Options

Still, thought the event worked out well in the end, especially considering the recent weather!

• Options

The first mile marker was out by 0.1miles by my garmin and lost another 0.05 somewhere, otherwise quite a nice race. No pb which I put down to the wind on the second lap but am in the right place for VLM training wise.

• Options
    Caustic Window wrote (see)
    Great event, managed a three minute PB *but* my Garmin had it at 12.95 miles! After being 0.1 out at each mile marker (i.e. 9.9m at 10m etc - expected to run 13.2m+). Anyone else?

My Garmin had it at 12.94, which makes me feel even worse about not beating my PB! I agree that the event worked out well, however - I was fully expecting to have to run through boggy fields and deep puddles. I also thought the marshals did a great job, it helped a lot image

• Options

I really enjoyed the course, but the towpath was abit annoying under foot but all in all a good event. My previous pb for the half was 2:04 and today my clock time was just over 1:47 image The uneven towpath can make up for the point one lol. Well done everyone

• Options
    The Marshall's were indeed excellent. Also really happy with the goodie bag post race. Managed a very good time for my first ever half marathon race but I usually run on road only and felt running on slightly muddy grass a bit heavy on the legs and the tow path a bit bumpy too. Did anyone else find the grass a bit tougher?
  • Options
    I ran without a watch and now am dying to see my result. Does anyone know when/where these will be posted? Thanks. Hope everyone had a good race.
  • Options

Results already posted

• Options

hi David, yes i found the grass tough at the end too, and the towpath hurt my feet abit. Marshalls were great. Id definitely do this event again

• Options

Wow Nina congratulations, first woman over the line, amazing

• Options

my garmin has me doing 13.09 miles...i noticed most mile markers were out which isnt unusual,BUT the last race i ran that was organised by the same people i missed a PB cos the course was to LONG!!!! didnt get the tiem id hoped for (sub 1hr 50) but still got a PB by 4 mins 52 and that included me falling and a toilet break at 1/2 way so i guess i cant complain!!!

• Options

very enjoyable race today, marshals were great and I felt the race had a genuinely good feel about it all round. 

Didn't enjoy the towpath and the u turn however but all in all im happy image

• Options

Wonderful event. Must say I wasn't expecting the whole Richmond green loop, that wasn't on the high level course map i downloaded a few months ago. my Garmin had me come up short on 20.83k , and the mile markers (that I saw)  were consistently out as well . Bur great organisation and great marshals doing a tough job holding up traffic for us. This is going to be a regular for me . It felt really flat throughout. 

• Options

image That was fun. I throught the course and the marshell's where spot on. It's to far away to make a regular but if I'm done london village around the same time again would jump at the chance to do it again.

• Options

Pleased to get a PB, and to me, seemed pretty accurate with my watch recording 13.1 exactly though mile markers were fractionally out. Solid organisation, and the course quite enjoyable. The off-road stuff was a bit tougher than expected!

• Options

Generally enjoyed the race, but did find the towpath pretty brutal as a road runner! Course was also short for me. I ran on past the finish line and had it as 20.88 on my Garmin.

• Options

Missed my PB by 4 seconds!! Probably took it too easy at the start/started too far back. Good event all in all

• Options
    Please can I ask for some advice. I found the second

Lap tow path made my soles of my feet feel like they

was being ripped to shreds. I had asics running

shoes and running socks. What do I need to do

to stop this pain again? Any suggestions please. Thanks
  • Options

hi Gavin my feet felt exactly the same, they were burning! I was wearing marathon specific socks and adidas boost shoes. If i were to run this again i would probably go with a thicker soled shoe with more cushioning like my brooks ghosts that i plan to use for a full marathon. On Sunday i could almost feel the stones stabbing into my feet, couldn't wait to get off that towpath

• Options

Gavin I was in Asics’s as well. I do a far bit of fell running which might have been a factor but normally for a race I put on 2 pairs of socks and also put Vaseline on the soles of my feet to cut down on blister’s and it wasn’t a factor. So might be useful but as I said I do a fair bit of off road running which was probably more of a factor.  

• Options

Thanks Lisa and Cake. Hope all goes well for the marathon and fell running for you both. I appreciate you responding. I seriously was close to giving up. Never felt such pain before when running, it was awful. You both must be made of tougher stuff, because I was lIke a baby with it. My wife can't understand why I only felt it when we did the second lap on the tow path? Was that the same for you? So how can I be prepared for such a surface, thicker souls? Double Socks? I did not expect it to hurt. My asics gel 1170 have been great for me on paths, roads and cycle paths. But this was awful. I don't want to go through that again. Thanks for your suggestions. 

• Options

Just out of curiosity, does anybody know why the start was delayed? As far as I'm aware, it was supposed to be at 09:15.

• Options

Hi James i think it was because people were still registering, the queue was massive even at 9am. Hi again Gavin it was a one off for you? I did feel it abit more on the second lap but i think that was because of my shoes and the fact i had a blister already before the race which i put conpeed over but still felt it. Thanks for the good luck image

• Options

Thanks for the clarification Lisa; I thought that queue was for the ladies portaloos! image

• Options

Is anyone doing this race this Feb?  As most of the course is on the towpath, will road shoes be fine?