Options

£9000 a year too much for a degree?

Comments

• Options
    Screamapillar wrote (see)

I think it depends how you define herosim.

Members of the Ambulance Service have to deal with the injured and traumatised day in, day out. Drunk, abusive people, people in bits after accidents. On it's own terms I'd define that as heroic.

As for the AA - not sure how they got into the conversation image

Members of the Ambulance service make the choice to do the job, and are well paid for it.

The AA had an advert running that said they were the 4th Emergency Service

• Options
    Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

I think it depends how you define herosim.

Members of the Ambulance Service have to deal with the injured and traumatised day in, day out. Drunk, abusive people, people in bits after accidents. On it's own terms I'd define that as heroic.

As for the AA - not sure how they got into the conversation image

Members of the Ambulance service make the choice to do the job, and are well paid for it.

The AA had an advert running that said they were the 4th Emergency Service

Have you looked up pay scales? You have to be in at least band 6 (a senior paramedic) to earn what might be described as anything like decent pay.

And just because they don't have to do it doesn't make them any less heroic for doing it. In fact it makes then more so if anything. 

Yes the AA did run that advert but it was nonsense in terms of the sort of service they provide.

• Options

Have you looked up pay scales? You have to be in at least band 6 (a senior paramedic) to earn what might be described as anything like decent pay.

And just because they don't have to do it doesn't make them any less heroic for doing it. In fact it makes then more so if anything. 

It's a vocation..... And the paramedics get a sweet green jump suit

• Options

Do you think that's why they do it? imageimage

I am interested to know what you would define as "heroism" though because heroism and bravery have pretty much interchangeable definitions which aren't confined to stuff connected to the military. 

• Options

I think it's the green jumpsuit and the ability to drive around with the Nee Naws going that swings it

• Options

I think the nee-naw thing wears off. I've asked my OH and he reckon's it's not that much fun after the first couple of times.

I think that's what he was talking about anyway image

• Options

Still not sure what this has got to do with 9K a year tuition fees ?

Other than Doctors and Paramedics earn way more than enough to cough up....

• Options

It hasn't, thats the joy of RW image

• Options

I don't think it's the "knowing what you will get into" that makes the difference because you can say exactly the same of anyone who joins the armed services.

• Options

and then there's the public to deal with image

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I am interested to know what you would define as "heroism" though because heroism and bravery have pretty much interchangeable definitions which aren't confined to stuff connected to the military. 

Nick Windsor 4 wrote (see)

I don't think it's the "knowing what you will get into" that makes the difference because you can say exactly the same of anyone who joins the armed services.

I would disagree, it's because the armed forces have no real idea of what they could face that singles them out

I would have thought they'd have plenty of idea of what they might face: war, bombs, snipers, IEDs, suicide bombers, nasty people who will try to kill you. 

Surely no-one joins up not realising that?

• Options
    Wilkie wrote (see)

I would have thought they'd have plenty of idea of what they might face: war, bombs, snipers, IEDs, suicide bombers, nasty people who will try to kill you. 

Surely no-one joins up not realising that?

And that's just the Ambulance Service

• Options

Surely what makes some of these careers heroic is that, even though they have a pretty good idea of what they'll face, they still choose that career (in part) to make the lives of other people better.

And for a paramedic, say, faced with something like a large road accident with multiple severe injuries, to have the strength of character to get on and get the job done in circumstances many people might find too traumatic.

• Options

There are no heroic careers.............people decide to do a job and get paid for it.........

every now and then you get an individual in a variety of jobs that do a heroic action....something totally outside the job description......these are the heroes.......

every job has people who do it well and people who are just plain lazy , nasty or evil......

to say that one profession is heroic makes a mockery of those few who are true heroes....

• Options
    seren nos wrote (see)

to say that one profession is heroic makes a mockery of those few who are true heroes....

Project Managers are the true heroes in my eyes.. Stuff Doctors & Paramedics

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Yeah, Project Management is tough!  Filling out all those Red, Amber and Green cells on a spreadsheet must be really soul destroying image

• Options
    Big_G wrote (see)

Yeah, Project Management is tough!  Filling out all those Red, Amber and Green cells on a spreadsheet must be really soul destroying image

Don't be silly.. I have someone to do that, I just supervise them

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Just to add a bit to the debate, where do we stand on volunteers or bystanders who may do some heroic act?  I'm just asking as the debate currently has been on people in paid employment doing something that may be termed heroic.

Often, a bystander who does a heroic act shrugs their shoulders and says "I was just there and did what anyone else would have done".  In reality, the bystander and say an ambulance person may have done the exact same act.  Any thoughts on this?

• Options

I think it's equally heroic.

I have asked people to define their idea of heroic if they don't think it applies to certain professions or situations and not others but no-one seems to have been able to come up with a reason why yet. 

• Options
    Being paid to do your job isn't heroic
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

So Dave, it's just about the money for you then?  What about an off-duty ambulance person doing a heroic act that they would normally be paid to do?

• Options

So no paramedic, firefighter or soldier has ever acted heroically then?

Even when they were saving others and risking their own lives it wasn't heroic because they were being paid to do it?

Have you ever wondered why we still award medals for gallantry which you can win whether you are a serving soldier, in the public services or merely a civilian? 

• Options
    Does a firefighter risk his life ? I understand that Health and Safety stopped that
  • Options
    seren nos wrote (see)

Such as who though, and why? I'm still seeing a woeful lack of examples as to how you compare X to Y and decide that one is heroic and the other isn't.

• Options
    See ? All boils down to just doing your job
  • Options
    seren nos wrote (see)

Such as who though, and why? I'm still seeing a woeful lack of examples as to how you compare X to Y and decide that one is heroic and the other isn't.

people call nurses angels....so you think that the ones who abuse old people and leave them to die and with no dignity are angels

some soldiers get pleasure from torturing people..they are willing to rape and plunder areas....do you think that they are heroic.....just because they wear a uniform..

I certainly don't.

there are some true heroes in this wortld and they can be found in all different walks of life......

but someone is not a hero just because they decide in a  career path

• Options
    All most makes Project Managers the good guys after that Seren